OEM DVD Headrest/stereo replacement

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 2008 Edge Limited with low miles and have every available gadget the original owner could have ordered except anything to do with the audio system. So here it sits, no nav, no sat, no dvd. I bought this for my wife and the two things we really wanted out of the new vehicle was the sat radio and dvd for road trips with the kids.

My question is about the ford OEM DVD headrests. I found a set on ebay and it turned out they were from a local dealer that removed them from a vehicle. They match the factory leather and I was able to get them for around $500 so I pounced. At some point I will be replacing the basic radio cd player with an aftermarket nav unit and buying the sirius receiver and back-up camera to go with it. Does the DVD headrests have some funcionality with the factory stereo that I will lose if I go aftermarket with the new unit, or are they pretty much stand alone? Are there any concerns I should be thinking about that I may not be from some of you more experienced members?

Thanks

Travis

2008 Edge Limited

Travis, I ordered an 11 MKX last year with the factory DVD system and was told that it gets installed at the dealer. They replaced the headrests (I still have the originals) and the system is great. My 2 screens operate independently of each other too which is a nice feature. They are a completely independent system and don't rely on the stereo whatsoever. The system is made by Invision. Hope that helps.

Travis, I ordered an 11 MKX last year with the factory DVD system and was told that it gets installed at the dealer. They replaced the headrests (I still have the originals) and the system is great. My 2 screens operate independently of each other too which is a nice feature. They are a completely independent system and don't rely on the stereo whatsoever. The system is made by Invision. Hope that helps.

Cool. Thats what I needed to know. I watched a video on Ford's website showing some of the functions and they were controlling something by pushing a sequence of buttons on the stereo. I just wanted to make sure that I can install this as a stand alone system and that all the features will work. The video also showed them being able to listen to ipods through the system and controlling the sat radio through the units. Does that sound familiar?

Here is the link. It doesn't appear that the demo vehicle is an edge, but you would think the function would be the same for most models.

I just installed 2 of these CLD-700X in a 2011 edge sel and the leather matches perfectly, the back of the seat pops out from the bottom and then simply slide it down and run the wires under the seats to fuse #35, used a HHH ATM fuse tap from advanced auto parts. total cost was $350 and a few hours of my time.

I just installed 2 of these CLD-700X in a 2011 edge sel and the leather matches perfectly, the back of the seat pops out from the bottom and then simply slide it down and run the wires under the seats to fuse #35, used a HHH ATM fuse tap from advanced auto parts. total cost was $350 and a few hours of my time.

Just got a quote for dealer installation for $500 with some IFs attached to it. Looks like I am going to be trying this on my own. Looked through some of the other threads and looks pretty straight forward. What is fuse #35 attached to? It looks like the biggest thing is finding the right 12v source.

Edited by tvogz

Without seeing the actual units and what all they included (hopefully 100% of what is needed) its hard to answer your question fully. If you go aftermarket you will loose any functionality that the stock radio has, if it even has any. a better choice would have been to do all aftermarket. Especially if you plan to change the radio out sometime.

Without seeing the actual units and what all they included (hopefully 100% of what is needed) its hard to answer your question fully. If you go aftermarket you will loose any functionality that the stock radio has, if it even has any. a better choice would have been to do all aftermarket. Especially if you plan to change the radio out sometime.

Yeah, functionality with the head unit isn't a huge deal. I was looking into a clarion nx501. Anyone have any opinions on clarion? It's been a while since I have thought about purchasing any kind of aftermarket car audio equip and I'm sure I'm out of the loop as far as quality and all that by now. I have seen them online at a couple places for around $575 before you add the extras.

I havent played with clarion in many years. I have always had good results with pioneer, kenwood, and alpine. However i do like the fact that the nx501 all the connections are done via seperate plugs in the back. so if you dont need that function dont hook it up and keep it clean behind the radio (ex: no amps leave the rca plug out). i know that if you dont mind spending a little more and get like a pioneer they have radios with built in bluetooth and some of the other functions you may have to add with this clarion.

I havent played with clarion in many years. I have always had good results with pioneer, kenwood, and alpine. However i do like the fact that the nx501 all the connections are done via seperate plugs in the back. so if you dont need that function dont hook it up and keep it clean behind the radio (ex: no amps leave the rca plug out). i know that if you dont mind spending a little more and get like a pioneer they have radios with built in bluetooth and some of the other functions you may have to add with this clarion.

I'm with ya right there. Pioneers strike a REAL good balance of price, performance, features and reliability. I've never been disappointed in Pio's. But I'm not a Full-Freak Audiophile either...

Just got a quote for dealer installation for $500 with some IFs attached to it. Looks like I am going to be trying this on my own. Looked through some of the other threads and looks pretty straight forward. What is fuse #35 attached to? It looks like the biggest thing is finding the right 12v source.

fuse 35 is attached to ignition, only tuns on when you start the engine..its a 5amp fuse, buy a HHH atm fuse tap from advanced auto parts (it takes 2 atm fuses ) and buy a regular size 5 amp fuse plus a 10 amp fuse for the accesory and sould be all set.