Rear seat won't fold down

In my 2007 Edge, the larger part of the 60/40 split back seat won't fold down. When I pull the lever, I don't feel the resistance I normally would feel before the latch releases the seat and it folds down. In other words, pulling the lever feels like it would feel if the seat were already down.

I'm wondering if some big part will need to be replaced or if there is something I can do to put the seat down for now. I've removed the cover and foam inserts around the spare tire area to try to see more of the mechanism, but it's really hard to tell what's supposed to be going on back there.

Does anyone have experience with a similar problem?

In my 2007 Edge, the larger part of the 60/40 split back seat won't fold down. When I pull the lever, I don't feel the resistance I normally would feel before the latch releases the seat and it folds down. In other words, pulling the lever feels like it would feel if the seat were already down.

I'm wondering if some big part will need to be replaced or if there is something I can do to put the seat down for now. I've removed the cover and foam inserts around the spare tire area to try to see more of the mechanism, but it's really hard to tell what's supposed to be going on back there.

Does anyone have experience with a similar problem?

Maybe shake the seatback and see if it needs to catch?

When I took delivery of my 2011 Edge that rear seat would not latch at all in the upright position. They discovered the problem while they were prepping my car for delivery. They engaged a Ford engineer and eventually decided the entire bottom part of the seat needed to be replaced. It was pretty pricy, but obviously covered under warranty for me. Good luck.

For the record the seatbelt latch in that position on my car would not engage. I am guessing the guy doing assembly that day must have been having a bad day or something to not notice either thing. :-(

I think these seats use a very similar mechanism to a bicycle-gear shift cable to control the latch? I wonder if something in the latching mechanism (between the lever, and the actual physical latch) has come loose?

Can you manually unlatch the seat and check the mechanism to make sure it's still engaging via the lever?

I called the service department at my Ford dealership and took the car by there yesterday. I wanted to see if they could manually release the seat. I'm in the long, drawn out process of moving and really need the space back there to move things. They looked and said they weren't able to do that without taking the seat out, which the guy estimated would be $300 in labor plus any parts needed.

It's not really on my list of things to do at this point. Frustrating issue, and I'm not convinced there's not an easy fix. Seems like manually releasing the seat wouldn't be a big deal if you knew how the thing worked. I have a hard time telling exactly how it functions. The access to the mechanism isn't great, so maybe the seat does have to be removed to get to it.

Just wanted to update...that there's really no update.

Edited by edgedriver79

I called the service department at my Ford dealership and took the car by there yesterday. I wanted to see if they could manually release the seat. I'm in the long, drawn out process of moving and really need the space back there to move things. They looked and said they weren't able to do that without taking the seat out, which the guy estimated would be $300 in labor plus any parts needed.

It's not really on my list of things to do at this point. Frustrating issue, and I'm not convinced there's not an easy fix. Seems like manually releasing the seat wouldn't be a big deal if you knew how the thing worked. I have a hard time telling exactly how it functions. The access to the mechanism isn't great, so maybe the seat does have to be removed to get to it.

Just wanted to update...that there's really no update.

My guess is there's something stuck in the mechanism or in the seat. You should be able to remove the seat with a few bolts in the floor.