'08 Edge Burning oil

Smokin'Red35th

Mobil1 5w20 per the manual. there are no leaks. I make sure to look around evertime I put it on the lift to change the oil

Actually I'm not sure Mobil 1 5W-20 full synthetic meets the Ford spec. The wording is suspicious:

Mobil Super Synthetic 5W-20 engine oil meets or exceeds the industry and OEM requirements of:

* ILSAC GF-5 (API-certified starburst symbol)

* API SN, SM, SL

* Ford WSS-M2C945-A

It is recommended by ExxonMobil for use in applications requiring:

* Ford WSS-M2C930-A

* GM 6094M

Note that it says "meets or exceeds" the Ford WSS-M2C945-A spec but it specifically avoids those words on the M2C930-A spec which is what the Edge requires.

How quickly did you switch to Mobil-1? It's possible the rings did not have time to seat properly if you switched too soon. I would switch back to Motorcraft 5W-20 to be safe.

I have been using Mobil 1 since the first oilchange. why would the brand of oil have anything to do with the rings seating properly if the oil is the same weight and both synthetic?

Because full synthetic is too slippery to allow the rings to seat properly. They used to use special break-in oil or this but that's no longer necessary. Read these threads:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/2010-what-oil-and-oil-filter-do-you-use

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/588-engine-break-in

Ok I've heard that before about synthetic oil, for some reason I thought motorcraft was full syn. apparently I was wrong. I believe I waited till 7500 miles to change the oil though. I'll look into a compression test, but aside from that, anything else I should check?

See if there is any oil in the coolant or vice versa - that would indicate a blown head gasket. But that usually produces white smoke.

Compression test is quick and easy and should tell you if it's a single cylinder or all of them and that should help the diagnosis. Note that improper break-in isn't guaranteed, just a possibility.

Check your engine vent system, pcv, and look in your filter box for excess oil. Forget that compression check, improper breakin, If you have not run the engine hot or low on oil, you probably do not have a head gasket problem. Check your oil and water for contamination, mixing of either. The blue smoke may have been there, you just noticed it after coming up low on oil. If the engine is running good, after adding oil back to full, drive it. Next oil change, I would run 10w - 30. Being an 08 model, how many miles on it, how often do you change oil, and what kind of driving do you do?

Sometimes I have to recount how many qts I pull down for an oil change.

good luck,

Why? If the rings don't seat properly during break in then they allow oil to seep into the cylinder and get burned off. It matches the symptoms and should be checked even though it's not the only possibility.

Perhaps the rings never got seated-- my Edge used a little oil also when I got it at 16,000 miles. I proceeded to seat the rings by doing several full throttle accelerations up to 60-mph. That seated the rings and oli consumption went to almost zero. Babying a new engine will almost always result in some oil consumption because the rings don't get seated.

It's been many years since I've seen an engine that had a piston ring problem. Most oil loss happens through the valve guides when the oil seals leak or get hardened. The other place oil seeps into the combustion chamber is from intake manifold leaks.

In this case, there is no indication as to how many miles are on the vehicle so it could be a simple case of needing some hard driving, and, perhaps some explanation as to how there is one quart less than what he puts in when he does a change---- or, are we back to the same discussion about the dipstick showing 1/2 qt less than full when 5.5 quarts is put in----

Check your engine vent system, pcv, and look in your filter box for excess oil. Forget that compression check, improper breakin, If you have not run the engine hot or low on oil, you probably do not have a head gasket problem. Check your oil and water for contamination, mixing of either. The blue smoke may have been there, you just noticed it after coming up low on oil. If the engine is running good, after adding oil back to full, drive it. Next oil change, I would run 10w - 30. Being an 08 model, how many miles on it, how often do you change oil, and what kind of driving do you do?

Sometimes I have to recount how many qts I pull down for an oil change.

good luck,

I have 90,000 miles on it. Oil is changed every 7k-7.5k miles. Normal driving, I save the spirited driving for the Mustang. We've towed a light boat (<2500lbs) with it a time or two, plenty of hills around here to put a good load on the engine, and it gets mixed city/highway driving. I checked back through my MX records, and the first few oil changes were done at the dealership, so I retract my previous statement of using Mobil1 for the first oilchange. I havent noticed any coolant in the oil, and I only noticed the blue smoke AFTER changing the oil this week, so the oil pan was full with 5.5qts

Perhaps the rings never got seated-- my Edge used a little oil also when I got it at 16,000 miles. I proceeded to seat the rings by doing several full throttle accelerations up to 60-mph. That seated the rings and oli consumption went to almost zero. Babying a new engine will almost always result in some oil consumption because the rings don't get seated.

It's been many years since I've seen an engine that had a piston ring problem. Most oil loss happens through the valve guides when the oil seals leak or get hardened. The other place oil seeps into the combustion chamber is from intake manifold leaks.

In this case, there is no indication as to how many miles are on the vehicle so it could be a simple case of needing some hard driving, and, perhaps some explanation as to how there is one quart less than what he puts in when he does a change---- or, are we back to the same discussion about the dipstick showing 1/2 qt less than full when 5.5 quarts is put in----

This car doesnt get babied, it gets used with plenty of hard driving. the gas pedal has seen the floor on a few occasions when needed. As mentioned above (sorry for not putting it in the first post) its got 90,000 miles on it.

Also, I dont go by the dipstick. The manual says 5.5 qts so thats what I use. I know I have a qt less because I pour my used oil back in the empty Mobil1 5qt oil containers for easy disposal. So using the window on the side of the container, with the graduations on it, I can tell that I get less out than I put in. I did get a kick out of that dipstick thread though...

When I get a chance, i'm going to start by pulling the plugs for evidence of oil consumption.

Edited by Smokin'Red35th

I have 90,000 miles on it. Oil is changed every 7k-7.5k miles. Normal driving, I save the spirited driving for the Mustang. We've towed a light boat (<2500lbs) with it a time or two, plenty of hills around here to put a good load on the engine, and it gets mixed city/highway driving. I checked back through my MX records, and the first few oil changes were done at the dealership, so I retract my previous statement of using Mobil1 for the first oilchange. I havent noticed any coolant in the oil, and I only noticed the blue smoke AFTER changing the oil this week, so the oil pan was full with 5.5qts

This car doesnt get babied, it gets used with plenty of hard driving. the gas pedal has seen the floor on a few occasions when needed. As mentioned above (sorry for not putting it in the first post) its got 90,000 miles on it.

Also, I dont go by the dipstick. The manual says 5.5 qts so thats what I use. I know I have a qt less because I pour my used oil back in the empty Mobil1 5qt oil containers for easy disposal. So using the window on the side of the container, with the graduations on it, I can tell that I get less out than I put in. I did get a kick out of that dipstick thread though...

When I get a chance, i'm going to start by pulling the plugs for evidence of oil consumption.

At 90K, what you probable have is some valve seals that have hardened and are leaking oil down the guides. Now, let's get real, --- a quart of oil in 7500 miles is NOT what is considered "using oil"--- Ford says that a quart in 500 miles is using oil---