MFT Black Screen of Death

2011 Ford Edge Sport AWD

New May 9, 2011

6,726 Km- Sept 7, 2011

MFT Version 2.8 - Factory installed

Between May 9, 2011 & Sept 7,2011

3 MFT Screen freezes, reset by pulling negative battery terminal each time

2 Performing maintenance screens observed

1 black screen of Death - Sept 7, 2011 - System will not reset. No screen, no radio. no camera etc

Tried pulling the negative battery terminal and let sit for 1 hour - no luck

Service call to dealer tomorrow September 8, 2011

Will let you know what they find

Edited by tmbubell

How long does it take to order one of those?

Service dept has to rip the dash apart, pull the APIN, get the build numbers off the casing, send the info to Ford, Ford then has to ship a APIN programmed for my edge.

I think if all goes as planned a week down time

I have a rental paid for by Ford ( 2012 Ford Focus Titanium)

Edited by tmbubell

2011 Ford Edge Sport AWD

New May 9, 2011

6,726 Km- Sept 7, 2011

MFT Version 2.8 - Factory installed

Between May 9, 2011 & Sept 7,2011

3 MFT Screen freezes, reset by pulling negative battery terminal each time

2 Performing maintenance screens observed

1 black screen of Death - Sept 7, 2011 - System will not reset. No screen, no radio. no camera etc

Tried pulling the negative battery terminal and let sit for 1 hour - no luck

Service call to dealer tomorrow September 8, 2011

Will let you know what they find

You've had only six problems in four months?? Wow, I have that many each week. They updated my software (took 3.5 days at the dealer) but it only settled down a little - rather than locking up several times every day, it's only a few times a week now.

Service dept has to rip the dash apart, pull the APIN, get the build numbers off the casing, send the info to Ford, Ford then has ship a APIN programmed for my edge.

I think if all goes as planned a week down time

I have a rental paid for by Ford

I had my module replaced the first time they upgraded to 2.8. They got it sent next day, so my car was at the dealer for about 36 hours.

I would be interested to know does ....ANYONE... have a perfect system or is this is what to expect with MFT..??

Since I've had my 2011 Edge Limited AWD, the screen is slow, goes blank often, navagation freezes at least once a week with the only way to correct is shut the vehicle down for a hour.

I have the "latest and greatest" updated to 2.11 a couple of weeks ago.

Really, I'm not impressed

I would be interested to know does ....ANYONE... have a perfect system or is this is what to expect with MFT..??

Since I've had my 2011 Edge Limited AWD, the screen is slow, goes blank often, navagation freezes at least once a week with the only way to correct is shut the vehicle down for a hour.

I have the "latest and greatest" updated to 2.11 a couple of weeks ago.

Really, I'm not impressed

I wouldn't call mine perfect as I know there are some glitches that I have, but they are so minor compared to most people that I will say there is hope for everyone. I am still on version 1.8 and I will have owned it for a full year in two weeks. I have never had to pull a fuse or disconnect my battery. It definitely is not my Iphone, but it is perfect for a car computer system.

My system's far from perfect, but sounds less annoying than some of your issues. Dealership replaced my APIM back in May to fix a black screen after the module kept locking up. I'm on version 2.8.

My biggest frustration, Sirius Traffic and Weather sometimes hangs after the system periodically reboots. I've found I can sometimes force a system reboot by starting the engine, putting the car in reverse and driving away. The next car restart I generally see the results of a reboot; momentarily miss radio presets and the need to reselect my custom background. So far, helped because I don't need to look for the fuse nor disconnect the battery.

I sure hope Ford releases a new, working version next year. I spend the day chasing bus in code and doing software support. I'd like to see something work right for a change.

I am still running v2.4. Although it has clock issues I can say that I have never gotten this black screen of death. The system will reboot itself but not that often enough that I can remember. All other systems work properly and after reading the many posts of disappointment, I have decided to stay with the v2.4. I am waiting for the so called re-write and or permanent fix. Unless something happens between now and then. My advice, if its not broke then don't fix it and wear a watch (lol).

Once the new APIN is installed, my Edge will be running MFT Version 2.11

The rental car I have is the new 2012 Ford Focus Titanium, it has the Basic MFT, no Nav or Camera

I hate to see what this would cost if the Edge wasn't under warranty.

I wonder if Ford would consider offering a lifetime free replacement of MFT components & labour to us owners that have the 2011 & 2012 versions of MFT.

As it seems not a question of if it will Fail or Glitch but when

Once the new APIN is installed, my Edge will be running MFT Version 2.11

The rental car I have is the new 2012 Ford Focus Titanium, it has the Basic MFT, no Nav or Camera

I hate to see what this would cost if the Edge wasn't under warranty.

I wonder if Ford would consider offering a lifetime free replacement of MFT components & labour to us owners that have the 2011 & 2012 versions of MFT.

As it seems not a question of if it will Fail or Glitch but when

Electronics usually fail within the first few months or 20 years later.

I wouldn't call mine perfect as I know there are some glitches that I have, but they are so minor compared to most people that I will say there is hope for everyone. I am still on version 1.8 and I will have owned it for a full year in two weeks. I have never had to pull a fuse or disconnect my battery. It definitely is not my Iphone, but it is perfect for a car computer system.

This pretty much sums my experience of 10 months with v.1.8 too. Although no iOS, it still could be better even for a car system.

September 14, 2011

Edge at shop Sept 8, 2011 to Sept 14, 2011

APIN installed and system upgraded to 2.11.

Seems that the APIN is also an updated version, according to service advisor Ford has revamped the APIN modules.

System seems to be working smoothly.

I noticed on the new version that when you open a door the screen doesn't come up with the ford logo, just a light blue glow until you turn the ignition /aux on then the Ford logo comes on and then the system is ready to go in 3 or 4 seconds

So far so good

Edited by tmbubell

September 14, 2011

Edge at shop Sept 8, 2011 to Sept 14, 2011

APIN installed and system upgraded to 2.11.

Seems that the APIN is also an updated version, according to service advisor Ford has revamped the APIN modules.

System seems to be working smoothly.

I noticed on the new version that when you open a door the screen doesn't come up with the ford logo, just a light blue glow until you turn the ignition /aux on then the Ford logo comes on and then the system is ready to go in 3 or 4 seconds

So far so good

Hit First Glitch

Listening to Sirius and I went through a tunnel and lost reception,

Screen now has a box ( No Signal) in the middle of the screen that wont go away even though the station is coming in crystal clear now

Box is only there when listening to Sirius- Change to AM/FM radio and box is not there

MFTScreen-1.jpg

Edited by tmbubell

Hit First Glitch

Listening to Sirius and I went through a tunnel and lost reception,

Screen now has a box ( No Signal) in the middle of the screen that wont go away even though the station is coming in crystal clear now

Box is only there when listening to Sirius- Change to AM/FM radio and box is not there

MFTScreen-1.jpg

Went back through the tunnel after work, lost the reception and MFT took the box away this time :happy feet:

• 4 months later...

We bought our Edge in Toronto in June 2011 and in spite of getting all software upgrades, we have to pull off the road almost daily to disconnect the battery. Master reset does not work, and after all these reboots we have given up on saving anything to favorites because everything vanishes.

Yesterday alone, we lost both USB ports, bluetooth, voice command, the Nav system, touch controls on the screen (see photo) and ultimately got the Black Screen of Death!

We asked Ford to consider changing the APIN to see if that would lessen the issues since ours seem more frequent than most.

Ford US has flatly refused and told us to wait for the new software and live with it in the meanwhile. A heavy handed approach from a company selling a defective system.

We wanted to try a North American vehicle and Ford was the manufacturer with a great reputation. Now I count the days until I trade this vehicle in and run back to Toyota or Nissan where we experienced reliability for the past 20 years.

I would advise anyone thinking about a new vehicle to avoid this one and perhaps avoid Ford all together. The customer service is atrocious.

post-21082-0-46601400-1328309511_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

We bought our Edge in Toronto in June 2011 and in spite of getting all software upgrades, we have to pull off the road almost daily to disconnect the battery. Master reset does not work, and after all these reboots we have given up on saving anything to favorites because everything vanishes.

Yesterday alone, we lost both USB ports, bluetooth, voice command, the Nav system, touch controls on the screen (see photo) and ultimately got the Black Screen of Death!

We asked Ford to consider changing the APIN to see if that would lessen the issues since ours seem more frequent than most.

Ford US has flatly refused and told us to wait for the new software and live with it in the meanwhile. A heavy handed approach from a company selling a defective system.

We wanted to try a North American vehicle and Ford was the manufacturer with a great reputation. Now I count the days until I trade this vehicle in and run back to Toyota or Nissan where we experienced reliability for the past 20 years.

I would advise anyone thinking about a new vehicle to avoid this one and perhaps avoid Ford all together. The customer service is atrocious.

The Main reason i stay with Ford other than the fact that they have some great products is SEVICE DEPT @ Key West Ford.

The service advisors and service manager at this location are top notch, They treat my cars the way they would want theirs treated

If its not right, They always make it right

2011FordEdgeSportMay102011003.jpg

MustangNoviceshowJuly52009020.jpg

RoushMustang-Feb2011016.jpg

IMG_6135.jpg

FocusZX5NewSVTWheelsMay10.jpg

S6300703.jpg

2011FordFiesta127.jpg

Edited by tmbubell