Fuel Fill Seal Problem & FYI on Tire Cost

katandcharlie

So, last Wednesday I'm crusing along and my engine light comes on so I pull into my handy dandy Lincoln shop and, after close to three hours, I'm told the seal around the fuel fill area was not tight so they "tweeked" it a bit and all is well. Off I go.

Fast forward to Friday morning... engine light comes on again so off I go to my handy dandy Lincoln shop. Within moments they determine that the problem is now the plastic housing/container around the fuel fill area. Seems that little dude has a crack and they will have to order the part so into a loaner I go (a very nice 2011 Lincoln MKS... not bad for a car).

Well, onto my question... has anyone else had this kind of problem? Are the capless fuel tanks prone to this type of problem?

And now a little tire FYI. Thanks to a visit to a wine festival and the parking attendant parking me in a less than desireable field, I picked up a chunk of glass in my left rear tire. That chunk of glass was big enough to contain half a bottle of vino! Thank goodness I'm buds with a tire man because he revealed to me that the American made replacement is just over $300!!! To purchase a replacement tire that is made in China would cost me about $170. Normally I stick to the "made in America" policy but $125 difference is a chunk of money! The dealership was going to charge me $195 plus tax.

Okay, onto another week.... let's see if I can make it through without a flat tire, a black screen, SYNC chaos or the engine light popping on. Oh, and hopefully I'll get my ride back sometime later today or tomorrow morning! Life is always interesting in my neighborhood!

After the wife had an unfortunate incident with a curb, I replaced the original 20" Pirelli with the identical tire sourced from Costco. For $179 Cdn. Certainly it would have cost far more if purchased from the dealer.

Thanks for the info! Gee, you'd think that with as much time as I spend at Costco I would have thought of visiting their tire dept. I'll certainly keep them in mind should I have further problems with bottles jumping under my tires! :shift: (Bottles are like curbs, they tend to jump up and grab us from time to time!)

Edited by katandcharlie

• 4 weeks later...