Another MFT let down story

wlepse

Well I don't know if it was just wishful thinking or the fact I hadn't driven the car enough to notice the issues but driving from northern NJ to SC for vacation I noticed several bugs. I saw the other thread indicating that 2.11 is available as a user update but since this unit was OK for the most part I am not sure if I will notice the benefits until we do another long trip. Only once before the trip did we have a fault and it was cleared by picking a new destination. On this trip we noted the following:

1) On the way down I set the destination in the GPS and the location looked right but the choice of roads seemed suspect. I have it set for fastest route and it took us off I-95 way up in NC at 795. I followed it and while it got us there we were on a ton of back country single lane roads, some of which had 35 mph limits. I really don't know why it picked this routing. Has anyone else had such a strange pick of roads? We made OK time but that was because no one was on them....if there had been any vehicles it would have slowed us a lot.

2) On the way home, also with fastest as default, it picked a completely different routing. This time sticking to bigger roads out to I-95 but still missed a few short cuts but this may be related to the map set being out dated. Has anyone else noted the route differing depending on direction? I know my TomTom did this but it based route on IQ routes. As far as I know this system doesn't do that. I do have the traffic link but it is set to warn me not automatically recalculate route.

3) Several times along the way, both ways, the GPS would lose its location and not know where it was and display a ? on the gauge cluster. Luckily most of the time it did this we were on I-95 so there was no question where we were but not sure why it couldn't pin point us. Only one of these instances were there several interchanges where it could have been confused on which one we were on so I can't figure out what is going on.

4) But the big nav failure was an SD card fault. Luckily it didn't happen until I already knew where I was but I would have been royally screwed if this happened in the NC back woods at 4am. Basically after about 9.5 hours of working fine; when I got off the NJ Turnpike onto the Parkway the unit froze and didn't update the map, time or mileage to destination. I was able at first to go through some of the nav screens before it indicated a fault. After a reboot of the system it was fine.

5) USB music skipping but came in clusters. Not sure if there was something else going on in the background but it seemed like this would happen several times within a few minutes then be fine again for an hour. Maybe the processor isn't fast enough when something else is running?

6) Voice recognition? Originally I chalked it up to being new with the system and not knowing the right commands, but even after knowing the right ones I still only have a 50/50 shot.

I never go on a road trip and rely on my MFT. I alway carry my little Garmin 265WT with me. Recently I drove to Atlantic city NJ from NY. I program MFT and my Garmin 265WT with the same destination. MFT was suggesting some questionable directions, while Garmin was right on point. On the way back, the system just froze up even before it could give directions. I pulled over shut the car of, open the doors let the screen go of same result. I did this 3 times NO LUCK. I made a stop in NJ for about 10 min, shut the car off now am almost home no longer need GPS, MFT now functions. MFT is all computer related stuff so i expect things to go wrong sometime or another. But at the frequency this device is screwing up is not kool. At the dealer, the sales guy didn't know shit. i was told that the SD SLOT is just for pictures. i have the SEL model with voice guidance. My MFT refers to the garden State PK/WAY as "AN UNKNOWN". I didn't get this option in my car as a free perk. i pay for this and i want it to work as intended. dealer is no damn help in resolving the many malfunctions and fustrations I've had with this MFT. And yes i request a system update from the dealer about 3 weeks ago to whatever latest version is out there. i think they did because my radio and clock programing was all reset or maybe they just disconnect the battery in the car let everything reset back to default who knows at this point. I am FRUSTRATED as many others thats why I ended up on this site looking for HELP.

I never go on a road trip and rely on my MFT. I alway carry my little Garmin 265WT with me. Recently I drove to Atlantic city NJ from NY. I program MFT and my Garmin 265WT with the same destination. MFT was suggesting some questionable directions, while Garmin was right on point. On the way back, the system just froze up even before it could give directions. I pulled over shut the car of, open the doors let the screen go of same result. I did this 3 times NO LUCK. I made a stop in NJ for about 10 min, shut the car off now am almost home no longer need GPS, MFT now functions. MFT is all computer related stuff so i expect things to go wrong sometime or another. But at the frequency this device is screwing up is not kool. At the dealer, the sales guy didn't know shit. i was told that the SD SLOT is just for pictures. i have the SEL model with voice guidance. My MFT refers to the garden State PK/WAY as "AN UNKNOWN". I didn't get this option in my car as a free perk. i pay for this and i want it to work as intended. dealer is no damn help in resolving the many malfunctions and fustrations I've had with this MFT. And yes i request a system update from the dealer about 3 weeks ago to whatever latest version is out there. i think they did because my radio and clock programing was all reset or maybe they just disconnect the battery in the car let everything reset back to default who knows at this point. I am FRUSTRATED as many others thats why I ended up on this site looking for HELP.

At this point the best HELP we can give you is to find a new dealer who cares.

• 4 weeks later...

At this point the best HELP we can give you is to find a new dealer who cares.

What are you hoping they can do?

This is a Ford issue and there is no fixing it until Ford does. I've lived in this HELL since June and have gone from "this system is cool" to " HATE the system", so thanks Ford!

I had the same issues with freezing and reboots and the car was in the shop for three weeks over my first month and a half of ownership connected through some laptop to Ford and they couldn't even get it right! In fact the first time they "fixed" it the system lost all Nav functions! It's a sad sad mess and the biggest waste of $3000 I have ever spent. I now always have my $69 Tom Tom app on my iPhone as a backup…yeah sad.

BTW: It froze twice this weekend while on an out of state trip…missed my exit.

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

What are you hoping they can do?

This is a Ford issue and there is no fixing it until Ford does. I've lived in this HELL since June and have gone from "this system is cool" to " HATE the system", so thanks Ford!

I had the same issues with freezing and reboots and the car was in the shop for three weeks over my first month and a half of ownership connected through some laptop to Ford and they couldn't even get it right! In fact the first time they "fixed" it the system lost all Nav functions! It's a sad sad mess and the biggest waste of $3000 I have ever spent. I now always have my $69 Tom Tom app on my iPhone as a backup…yeah sad.

BTW: It froze twice this weekend while on an out of state trip…missed my exit.

A knowledgeable service center does help to take the edge off of the nightmare called My Ford Touch. If they know what they are doing, they won't need your car for 3 days but only 3 hours. I was comfortable with my service center for the first 9 months of ownership. The service writer I was using left the dealership so now I have to go to others. The last time I tried to get the upgrade from 2.7 to 2.11, the service writer kept the car all day only to tell me I had the latest version...3.xxx or something. :doh:

Just as well. The next day, Ford gave us owners the ability to upgrade our own systems.

A knowledgeable service center does help to take the edge off of the nightmare called My Ford Touch. If they know what they are doing, they won't need your car for 3 days but only 3 hours. I was comfortable with my service center for the first 9 months of ownership. The service writer I was using left the dealership so now I have to go to others. The last time I tried to get the upgrade from 2.7 to 2.11, the service writer kept the car all day only to tell me I had the latest version...3.xxx or something. :doh:

Just as well. The next day, Ford gave us owners the ability to upgrade our own systems.

I've had my Edge since late last year, 3 version updates of MFT and a new APIM, on 2.11 and still problems. Went to a lemon lawyer and I have received an offer from Ford, but it is too low. Will keep you posted

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my Edge since late last year, 3 version updates of MFT and a new APIM, on 2.11 and still problems. Went to a lemon lawyer and I have received an offer from Ford, but it is too low. Will keep you posted

Very interested to hear what happens with your lemon lawsuit.. definitely keep us posted.