2012 Ecoboost Hitch Install

Thumper07

I just bought a 2012 Ecoboost Edge and I need to have a hitch installed. The dealer subs the install out and charges 500 bucks. Uhaul did my Charger RT for 200 and did a fantastic job.

I'd like to use Uhaul again, but nobody seems to have a hitch for a 2012 EDGE SEL Ecoboost because the model is too new. I've called a few places including Hidden Hitch.

They all ask if the 2011 4 cylinder model will fit the 2012 4 cylinder Ecoboost.

Are the undercariage designs between the 2011 regular 4 cylinder and the 2012 turbo 4 cylinder the same? Or is there a different exhaust or frame configuration?

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by Thumper07

I just bought a 2012 Ecoboost Edge and I need to have a hitch installed. The dealer subs the install out and charges 500 bucks. Uhaul did my Charger RT for 200 and did a fantastic job.

I'd like to use Uhaul again, but nobody seems to have a hitch for a 2012 EDGE SEL Ecoboost because the model is too new. I've called a few places including Hidden Hitch.

They all ask if the 2011 4 cylinder model will fit the 2012 4 cylinder Ecoboost.

Are the undercariage designs between the 2011 regular 4 cylinder and the 2012 turbo 4 cylinder the same? Or is there a different exhaust or frame configuration?

Thanks,

Tom

I am with you. There is no way I would pay a dealer $500 to install a hitch. I have no definitive answer to your question, but there are no 4 cylinder models of the Edge prior to your 2012 Ecoboost. All previous generation Edges came with the 3.5L or 3.7L V6's. Regardless, I am guessing that the undercarriage would be the same on all models as a cost saving measure.

I am with you. There is no way I would pay a dealer $500 to install a hitch. I have no definitive answer to your question, but there are no 4 cylinder models of the Edge prior to your 2012 Ecoboost. All previous generation Edges came with the 3.5L or 3.7L V6's. Regardless, I am guessing that the undercarriage would be the same on all models as a cost saving measure.

Ah, you're right. There were no other 4 cylinders. Then I wonder if the 2011 V6 hitch would fit on the 2012 4, or if there are exhaust mods that may cause the hitches to be different.

I need to get one right away though so I just might take a chance and order the 2011 hitch....hmmm, decisions decisions :wacko:

The hitch attaches to the extruded boxed section that you might call a frame rail even though it's not really. The exhaust hangers won't interfere with the mount points. I was working on a dropped hitch to attach to my Sport and everything from my 2008 matched my 2011. Then I ditched the project when we picked up a 11 Explorer with a tow package for the misses.

• 2 months later...

I might would add a hitch to the Eco Boost to haul bikes, or something like that. But would not add an after market hitch to tow stuff. The factory tow package includes more than the hitch. Would imagine it includes a wiring harness, and coolers for transaxle and power steering. And as you know....Ford didn't want you to tow with EB package, thus tow package not available.

Edited by RJG

Don't you think I would have gotten a factory installed towing package if one was available?

Ford does NOT offer a tow package on the EcoBoost.

Etrailer has Drawtite and Hidden Hitch. It fits my vehicle perfectly and is hardly visible. The car is only rated for 1500 pounds, so a tranny cooler isn't necessary. Not much you can tow with that wight limit. My motorcycle and race bicycles, which is all I needed it for to begin with.