2012 vs. 2011 lighting specs

Sorry if its been asked before, I've tried searching but still have yet to find answers. I have a 2012 edge limited and for some reason it didn't come with HID's. Ive called a few shops around the Edmonton area but everyone keeps saying that their are no HID replacements for 2012's. I saw on another thread the specified bulb types for a 2011 edge, So my question is: Do the 2011 and 2012 have the same bulb types so that i can switch from halogen to HIDs? and the licence plate bulb you need a 168, is that also the same on a 2012?

Lighting is the same for the parts you mention. You can swap for factory HID but it will cost about $1200-1500. You can however use a 9012 bulb in the stock bi-halogen projectors but the OEM HIR2 bulb is really good for halogen bulbs. Stick with 4300-5000K for the best performance. 55W if you want brighter lights but really only needed if you live in a city as dark rural roads your eyes will see less into the distance with 55w.

Also the 2012 manuals are posted online. Has all the info you need http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/SPubs/default.asp?pageid=oghome&gutsid=spubs_serv_all_new&TYPE=OWNERGUIDE&menuIndex1=17

Edited by NWS Alpine

Hey bud if u don't mind me asking did you check off anything under "HID harness, error eliminator or adaptor cables"? Im going to get these sent in as the 6000k bosch hids i bought recently were 9005, they don't perfectly fit in the housing but its not like their ever likely to become loose. My only problem with this kit is that they flicker during the day time mode, as soon as i switch to the night time mode in the car they stay on constantly with no problems. Can anyone else chime in on this dilemma?

I installed a set of 5000k 55w HIDs from ddmtuning.com. I bought the 9006 size for my 2011 Sport and they fit perfect without any type of modification. You def won't be disappointed with the ease that they install with and they Brighten up the dark nights.

Seems to be a common issue without the harness. Ford uses a pulsed voltage so it can cause issues with some ballasts so if you use a harness that pulls power direct from battery and only uses the headlight connector to turn power on/off you should be OK.

To anyone that has added HIDs...can you buy the rear covers as a separate part? Just from a quick look at things it looks like you need to drill and access hole in the covers to get the HIDs installed. I would like to have an extra set of covers.

Seems to be a common issue without the harness. Ford uses a pulsed voltage so it can cause issues with some ballasts so if you use a harness that pulls power direct from battery and only uses the headlight connector to turn power on/off you should be OK.

To anyone that has added HIDs...can you buy the rear covers as a separate part? Just from a quick look at things it looks like you need to drill and access hole in the covers to get the HIDs installed. I would like to have an extra set of covers.

I tried to order an extra set of covers when I installed my HID kit and when they arrived, the parts guy got a funny look on his face and said that they were showing a cost of $0. To me that means they're free, but to him, that meant that he had to find a valid price. So far, that's taken more than 3 month's without an answer.

I think I'm resigned to the fact that if I ever switch back to the original bulbs, I'll just cut out the wiring, leave the grommet in place and not worry about it.

This is directed to wlepse. I also concluded that ford uses a pulsed voltage which is why the hits flicker on and off while staying constant at the nighttime mode feature. My HID kit came with everything (harness, ballast, bulb etc), did you happen to work around that pulsing feature? Is there much of a difference between a 9005 and 9006? I thought it was just the housing that was different.

• 2 months later...

Hey bud if u don't mind me asking did you check off anything under "HID harness, error eliminator or adaptor cables"? Im going to get these sent in as the 6000k bosch hids i bought recently were 9005, they don't perfectly fit in the housing but its not like their ever likely to become loose. My only problem with this kit is that they flicker during the day time mode, as soon as i switch to the night time mode in the car they stay on constantly with no problems. Can anyone else chime in on this dilemma?

Being you are in Canada you should have DRL's.

I believe that if you do not have factory HID's then Ford uses your low beam at a reduced voltage to operate the low beams and this is your DRL's, thus when you converted to HID's your low beams are getting reduced voltage in the day time but full voltage at night as they are no longer in the DRL mode.

You can resolve this by adding a relay and dedicated power harness to alleviate this problem but you might run into another problem whereby the computer does not sense enough draw going to the relay and throws a code or turns off power to the relay thinking there is a possible short in the system.