Winter tires and other Q's

Logman3585

Has anybody used the new Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT? Curious of what people think? What would a good set of winter tires/rims for my wife's 08 Edge SEL AWD with optional 18 inch rims? Do I have to only look for 18's or will 17's since the 18 inch wheel is an option?

Another question, I know if I get new rims I will have to get new TPMS for the new rims/tires. Has anybody used the triggering tools that tirerack.com sells? How would these work?

Thanks for the help! Click on triggering tools for the link.

Edited by Logman3585

I have not used any of the tools to trigger the TPMS so I can't help you there. But on the wheel size you can run 17's but I would be careful to make sure you get a tire that has the correct load capacity. Once you drop to 17's you might find more passenger car tires that would fit but not necessarily be appropriate. Typically though TR info is very good, so if they list the tire you should be OK. As for the Goodyear; I was looking at this tire as well and it appears as if it is new for this year so you aren't going to find any test results yet. I did find a few write ups on Goodyears marketing event were people said they were great but I would like to see something independent. You may want to reach out to TR and see when they will have their testing up. While not perfect it is somewhat impartial.

I have just ordered a set of 17 inch winter tires and rims from the local Ford dealership, our SEL came with 18 inch 245/60 tires. I went with 245/65 series 17" on a set of Ford SE rims for the winter months - The taller tire gives me the same OD as the 18's at a better price (both rims and tires) . The rims I ordered are the standard aluminum for the base model Edge, allowing me to keep my 18" michelins and rims intact. (Dealership had a deal on seasonal tire and rim packages). The tires specified are BFG winter slalom - recommended by several tire shops in the area.

I have just ordered a set of 17 inch winter tires and rims from the local Ford dealership, our SEL came with 18 inch 245/60 tires. I went with 245/65 series 17" on a set of Ford SE rims for the winter months - The taller tire gives me the same OD as the 18's at a better price (both rims and tires) . The rims I ordered are the standard aluminum for the base model Edge, allowing me to keep my 18" michelins and rims intact. (Dealership had a deal on seasonal tire and rim packages). The tires specified are BFG winter slalom - recommended by several tire shops in the area.

How much did the dealer charge for that wheel/tire package? TIA!

Everything installed - a little less than $1500, The O.E. rims and sensors were part of a winter tire package and cost a bit more than generic aluminum rims - they do look a lot better, and using the black painted steel wheels is not something I could live with for 4 or 5 months of the year. The price was competitive with several other major tire suppliers in the area. Before we purchased the vehicle we decided to go this route instead of AWD (there are benefits to both options but this suited us best)

Edited by canadianzed

I have the AWD, but still need true snow tires for our Canadian winters IMO, thanks!

Agree. May be able to get away with it the first year on the stock tires but AWD is not a substitute for snow tires when it comes to stopping/steering and general control in the snow and ice. I invested in almost new 18" 2011 Limited chrome rims along with almost new Blizzaks for $1100. Will spend another $350 to get after market TPMS and have them installed and balanced. All said and done, will spend $1500. I have never been a fan of the black police like rim look for the winter!

Agree. May be able to get away with it the first year on the stock tires but AWD is not a substitute for snow tires when it comes to stopping/steering and general control in the snow and ice. I invested in almost new 18" 2011 Limited chrome rims along with almost new Blizzaks for $1100. Will spend another $350 to get after market TPMS and have them installed and balanced. All said and done, will spend $1500. I have never been a fan of the black police like rim look for the winter!

Nice! Becareful though, I heard that chrome rims rust really really easily with the salt. What I did is that I bought summer rims without the TPMS (since we don't really need them in the summer), and am using my stock SEL Aluminim rims with the TPMS for the winter. We're also looking for a set of winter tires that might come to be $1000 installed, just that way we saved a few hundred dollars.

Tires are DM V1's.... picked them up in April from Kijiji listing locally. Rims came from Vegas....eBay! Not sure if the SEL has the two screens around the speedo but driving with no TPMS would have an irritating warning every time you start up the Edge on the LTD. Cloned after market TPMS means no programming when swapping tires. Ford rims are plastic chrome so not too worried about rust.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I have a quick question - I own a 2013 Ford Edge Sport AWD (with 22s) and I need to get winter tires for this coming cold Winer season here in Canada.

Buying 22 inch winter tires are super expensive, so I've got a lead on a new set of Blizzak tires (245/45 R20) on seperate rims. They reportedly came off a Taurus SHO.

The wheels (rims) are 8.5" wide with a '114.3 x 5' bolt pattern.

Will these fit my Edge? Are there any issues I should worry about with the different in rims/tires?

Your help us appreciated!