Got a drop of purell on center armrest. Now a shiny spot on leather.

I love the matte black leather in our brand new edge but somehow one of us spilled a drop of purell hand sanitizer on the center armrest. The leather seems fine after wiping it right off but now the spot where it landed is kind of shiny instead of matte. It breaks my heart and some leather cleaner faile to restore it. I tried meguires leather wipes. I almost want to purchase a new armrest. It is like a dead pixel in an otherwise new and beautiful car. Anybody know how I can fix it or how much the replacement part would be?

Seems strange that such an occurrence could affect the leather though. In my 4runner I have dropped purell on the leather dozens of times and simply wipe it up with never an ill effect. Is the leather in the due not treated or something? As much as I love this car it seems like its these little Things that differentiate our new Ford from our Toyota or other foreign cars we've had in the past.

At any rate, if you can help please do,

Finish the job by wiping purell on the rest of the interior.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Hope you find something that works.

You may try taking it to a car wash that does interior detailing and see if they can fix it.

LOL. jlong that did actually occur to me. Of course it'd be a desperate move and it'd never work...but it did occur to me. I wonder what it is that they put on the leather to give it that satin matte look instead of being shiny. Whatever that is, that's what I rubbed off. the leather itself is actually fine. No distress or anything, it's just shiny there now while the rest is matte.

Need a good leather protectant for the rest of the car to prevent this from happening again. Any recommendations?

The alcohol in it may have worn the finish off of the leather, it is mostly alcohol. There are also a bunch of very greasy moisturizing ingredients in that stuff so it could also be the oily residue left behind. A bit of baking soda sitting on it for a bit may pull some of the oil out and/or you cound try a tiny bit of Dawn dish soap on it to see if it will pull out the oils, it has grease cutters in it.