Question

Stang

I was talking to a Ford salesmen about bleeding brakes on my Edge cause they feel a little spongy and he said that you can only get that done properly at the ford dealers shop, cause you need to hook up the scanner on the Edge before you bleed the brakes. Something to do with abs and the sensors. He was saying that ECM or PCM has to keep pressure on the system while you bleed them. Dose this sound right to you guys. Thanks for reading.

I was talking to a Ford salesmen about bleeding brakes on my Edge cause they feel a little spongy and he said that you can only get that done properly at the ford dealers shop, cause you need to hook up the scanner on the Edge before you bleed the brakes. Something to do with abs and the sensors. He was saying that ECM or PCM has to keep pressure on the system while you bleed them. Dose this sound right to you guys. Thanks for reading.

It’s been a long time since I’ve bled any brakes that weren’t on a motorcycle.

:headscratch:

BUT

I didn’t know the Edge had a pump on the brake system.

Except for my wife’s right foot….

Pump

Pump

Pump

Hold

“Ok let go”

Do it again

ab

It’s been a long time since I’ve bled any brakes that weren’t on a motorcycle.

:headscratch:

BUT

I didn’t know the Edge had a pump on the brake system.

Except for my wife’s right foot….

Pump

Pump

Pump

Hold

“Ok let go”

Do it again

ab

Thanks for the info ab, I should have known better, but I said you never know with newer cars now a days. Pays to ask questions. ;)

That's really good to know. Thanks Akirby.

Thanks for all the replys guys, great info, so Akirby we do need to have the Edge's motor running when we bleed the brakes cause we have the 4 channel ABS on our Edges, that is great to know, but do we also need to use a pressure bleeder to bleed the brakes properly? I just did a search on google and this is one site scroll to the bottom of the page were it says Brake System Bleeding. This has me thinking. You my have to copy and paste this site.

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Article/78463/tech_feature_brake_job_on_ford_edge.aspx

Thanks for all the replys guys, great info, so Akirby we do need to have the Edge's motor running when we bleed the brakes cause we have the 4 channel ABS on our Edges, that is great to know, but do we also need to use a pressure bleeder to bleed the brakes properly? I just did a search on google and this is one site scroll to the bottom of the page were it says Brake System Bleeding. This has me thinking. You my have to copy and paste this site.

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Article/78463/tech_feature_brake_job_on_ford_edge.aspx

It doesn't matter how you bleed them. You can use the 2 person method with one person pressing the brakes as the other one opens and closes the valve or use either a pressure or vacuum bleeder. I think the pressure bleeders work better than the vacuum bleeders.

You can also get "speed bleeders" - they're one-way bleeder valves that let you use the brake pedal by yourself.

The salesman is half right. You need to connect to the Ford service tool if you want to bleed the system upstream of the ABS module. If you want to bleed the system between the ABS module and the wheels, you can do a conventional bleed as noted in the other responses.

So be super careful to keep the master cylinder topped up as you bleed. If you let it get to low and suck in some air from the top side, it's off to the dealer.

• Like 1

The salesman is half right. You need to connect to the Ford service tool if you want to bleed the system upstream of the ABS module. If you want to bleed the system between the ABS module and the wheels, you can do a conventional bleed as noted in the other responses.

So be super careful to keep the master cylinder topped up as you bleed. If you let it get to low and suck in some air from the top side, it's off to the dealer.

Good info to take heed to, thank you. I will deffently top up before I bleed and keep toping up.

Brake System Bleeding

Pressure

WARNING: Do not use any fluid other than clean brake fluid meeting manufacturer's specification. Additionally, do not use brake fluid that has been previously drained. Following these instructions will help prevent system contamination, brake component damage and the risk of serious personal injury.

WARNING: Carefully read cautionary information on product label. For EMERGENCY MEDICAL INFORMATION seek medical advice. In the USA or Canada on Ford/Motorcraft products call: 1-800-959-3673. For additional information, consult the product Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) if available. Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious personal injury.

WARNING: Do not allow the brake master cylinder to run dry during the bleeding operation. Master cylinder may be damaged if operated without fluid, resulting in degraded braking performance. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

NOTICE: Do not spill brake fluid on painted or plastic surfaces or damage to the surface may occur. If brake fluid is spilled onto a painted or plastic surface, immediately wash the surface with water.

NOTE: The Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) bleeding procedure must be carried out if the HCU or any components upstream of the HCU are installed new.

NOTE: Pressure bleeding the brake system is preferred to manual bleeding.

Clean all dirt from the brake master cylinder filler cap and remove the filler cap.

Fill the brake master cylinder with clean specified brake fluid.

NOTE: Master cylinder pressure bleeder adapter tools are available from various manufacturers of pressure bleeding equipment. Follow the instructions of the equipment manufacturer when installing the adapter.

Install the bleeder adapter to the brake master cylinder reservoir and attach the bleeder tank hose to the fitting on the adapter.

NOTE: Make sure the bleeder tank contains enough clean, specified brake fluid to complete the bleeding operation.

Open the valve on the bleeder tank.

Apply 207-345 kPa (30-50 psi) to the brake system.

Remove the RH rear bleeder cap and place a box-end wrench on the bleeder screw. Attach a rubber drain tube to the RH rear bleeder screw and submerge the free end of the tube in a container partially filled with clean, specified brake fluid.

Loosen the RH rear bleeder screw. Leave open until clear, bubble-free brake fluid flows, then tighten the RH rear bleeder screw and remove the rubber hose.

Tighten to specifications. For additional information, refer to Specifications.

Install the bleeder screw cap.

Continue bleeding the system, going in order from the LH rear bleeder screw to the RH front bleeder screw ending with the LH front bleeder screw.

Release the bleeder tank pressure and close the bleeder tank valve. Remove the tank hose from the adapter and remove the adapter from the brake fluid reservoir.

Manual

WARNING: Do not use any fluid other than clean brake fluid meeting manufacturer's specification. Additionally, do not use brake fluid that has been previously drained. Following these instructions will help prevent system contamination, brake component damage and the risk of serious personal injury.

WARNING: Carefully read cautionary information on product label. For EMERGENCY MEDICAL INFORMATION seek medical advice. In the USA or Canada on Ford/Motorcraft products call: 1-800-959-3673. For additional information, consult the product Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) if available. Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious personal injury.

WARNING: Do not allow the brake master cylinder to run dry during the bleeding operation. Master cylinder may be damaged if operated without fluid, resulting in degraded braking performance. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

NOTICE: Do not spill brake fluid on painted or plastic surfaces or damage to the surface may occur. If brake fluid is spilled onto a painted or plastic surface, immediately wash the surface with water.

NOTE: The HCU bleeding procedure must be carried out if the HCU or any components upstream of the HCU are installed new.

Clean all dirt from the brake master cylinder filler cap and remove the filler cap.

Fill the brake master cylinder with clean specified brake fluid.

Remove the bleeder screw cap and place a box-end wrench on the RH rear bleeder screw. Attach a rubber drain hose to the RH rear bleeder screw and submerge the free end of the hose in a container partially filled with clean, specified brake fluid.

Have an assistant pump the brake pedal at least 3 times and then hold firm pressure on the brake pedal.

Loosen the RH rear bleeder screw until a stream of brake fluid comes out. While the assistant maintains pressure on the brake pedal, tighten the RH rear bleeder screw.

Repeat until clear, bubble-free fluid comes out.

Refill the brake master cylinder reservoir as necessary.

Remove the rubber hose and tighten the bleeder screw to specifications. For additional information, refer to Specifications.

Install the bleeder screw cap.

Repeat Steps 2 through 5 for the LH rear, RH front and LH front bleeder screws in this order.

Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU)

NOTE: The HCU bleeding procedure must be carried out if the HCU or any components upstream of the HCU are installed new.

Follow the Pressure Bleeding or Manual Bleeding procedure steps to bleed the system.

Connect the scan tool and follow the ABS Service Bleed instructions.

Repeat the Pressure Bleeding or Manual Bleeding procedure steps to bleed the system.

• Like 2