DVD Navigation

OK, I researched everything about the Edge to the nth degree but I admittedly know little about DVD Navigation in general. Here are some of my questions?

• -- Does the system come with a DVD of Maps?
    -- Will I need to buy additional Maps and at what cost?
    -- Is there a monthly service fee?
    -- Does the system use GPS to show where you are on the Map?
    -- Does the system give you verbal commands on where to drive once you set your destination?
    -- Does this system alert you to traffic jams and road construction?
    -- Does the system show landmarks and rest stops and such?
    -- The 2008 will add Voice-Activation. Is this a big deal?

OK, I researched everything about the Edge to the nth degree but I admittedly know little about DVD Navigation in general. Here are some of my questions?
    -- Will I need to buy additional Maps and at what cos - NO
    -- Is there a monthly service fee? - NO
    -- Does the system use GPS to show where you are on the Map? - YES
    -- Does the system give you verbal commands on where to drive once you set your destination? - YES
    -- Does this system alert you to traffic jams and road construction? - NO
    -- Does the system show landmarks and rest stops and such? - YES
    -- The 2008 will add Voice-Activation. Is this a big deal? - NOT IN MY OPINION, BUT THERE WILL BE THOSE WHO WILL LIKE TELLING IT WHERE TO GO.

-- Will I need to buy additional Maps and at what cost?
    No...comes with a DVD that includes every city/state. Annual updates are available for around $200 or so, but not needed unless you travel to areas with new roads.
    -- Is there a monthly service fee?
    No fees involved.
    -- Does the system use GPS to show where you are on the Map?
    Yes...your position is shown with a triangle surrounded by a blinking circle.
    -- Does the system give you verbal commands on where to drive once you set your destination?
    Yes.
    -- Does this system alert you to traffic jams and road construction?
    No...this might be available for 2008, but I don't know. I do know, though, that this service (XM Traffic) does involve a monthly charge.
    -- Does the system show landmarks and rest stops and such?
    Yes....
    -- The 2008 will add Voice-Activation. Is this a big deal?
    It's nice...but shouldn't be a deal breaker if you're looking at a 2007 model. This allows you to program a destination without entering the data on the screen (thus causing fingerprints).

Edited by MHOsborn

OK, I'm all in. I can't tell you how many fights my wife and I have had over the years when we travel and get lost. You know the story. Man gets lost, woman tells Man to pull over and ask for directions, Man denies being lost, fights commences, no sex at the next hotel stop. :-)

What say you all with the DVD Nav about this excerpt from the Edmunds MKX review?

"Scanning the small navigation screen is difficult, as the location icon and three large buttons shrink the display to near-useless proportions."

What say I? It's like most of the reply's or reviews I read, sullbhit! I also have a Hybrid Escape with a navigation screen and it's less than 1/3rd. the size of this one and both work good enough. If you don't have a 30" monitor then you reall can't figure out what you want to see, now can you. And you can always use a 2D navigation system.

I'm going to vent. IF the seats aren't hard enough, if it can't get more horsepower, if the navigation system isn't big enough, if the breaks aren't good enough, if the MPG isn't high enough, then I just leave it parked and hop on my 1 HP 4 hoofed saddle open to the elements methanol spewing mind of it's own transportation no tax no insurance device and go for it.

I'm going to vent. IF the seats aren't hard enough, if it can't get more horsepower, if the navigation system isn't big enough, if the breaks aren't good enough, if the MPG isn't high enough, then I just leave it parked and hop on my 1 HP 4 hoofed saddle open to the elements methanol spewing mind of it's own transportation no tax no insurance device and go for it.

Oh come on now. Don't hold back.

Tell us how you really feel.

LOL

The NAV screen is fine - as usual Edmunds is being finicky - I love the way it looks, I love the touchscreen - its impressive in my mind.

I will still maintain the brakes work just fine..but what do I know - I only have driven it for 3 months in rush hour to work and home.

I think a lot of the complainers - are spoiled - if it aint specific to their taste - it aint good at all. Hence the reason there are so many car choices - find the one that best fits you.

Otherwise... hop on my 1 HP 4 hoofed saddle open to the elements methanol spewing mind of it's own transportation no tax no insurance device and go for it.