Unusual TPMS issue

KonaBlueSport

Gotta admit this has me beat. Got a set of 18in wheels and tires for winter mounted on my Edge. I did not install TPMS sensors on the winter wheels due to no more $$ at the time. After install drove home with my 22in wheels in the back. TPMS light did not come on and I admit I did not think anything of it as I assumed the ecu was reading the sensors in the rear of the Edge.

Put my 22s in storage 5 days ago. Since then I've driven 100-150 miles and no TPMS warning has come on the dash display.

I can't figure out what's going on. Why isn't my Edge showing a sensor fault code??

Edited by KonaBlueSport

If your 22's are close enough the car is still reading those and sensing pressure is ok. I had the same issue when I swapped wheels on my Mustang - had them stored in the garage next to the car and no TPMS error light for days, then moved the old wheels to the shed, and TPMS came on the very next drive.

That would be cool LOL! Do you have that little gadget that allows you to reset the TPMS yourself? Worth a try if you can get your hands on one.

P.S. maybe I've misunderstood your post, but are you saying that other than the drive to work that when you park the car at home again the 22" wheels are still near the car? If so, yup exactly the issue I had - the TPMS is "seeing" those wheels at least once a day and it's getting a valid reading of correct pressure from those sidelined wheels still. You have to remove them from the vicinity of the car completely and then use that little gadget to retrain the new sensors all over again. If the 22" are no where near your car anymore at all, then ignore all I've just said :)

Edited by Scorpio

The TPMS system has several different criteria it will use before it triggers a code. One one hand, if it doesn't see any signals from the sensors it is programmed with, it will go x miles before setting a code OR it will go a certain number of start up cycles. When you start the car it does send a "wake-up" signal to the sensors. If it finds the sensors (like it would if you're 22s are in the garage) then it is momentarily happy. But as you drive it will notice that it's not seeing the sensors anymore. So since it knows it saw the sensors on start-up, it will allow more miles to pass before it flips a code then it would if it hadn't seen the sensors at start up. But eventually it will count the number of start-ups where it saw the sensors then didn't see the sensors. But that could take a week or more, depending on how many times you start and how far you drive.

I noticed this same behavior when I replaced my wheels. My new wheels did have TPMS sensors but they were not programmed yet. Also, I had my old wheels in the garage so I think it was reading those sensors. Drive it for a while and I think you'll get a fault almost every time, although it did seem quite random sometimes.