Remote start install Monday

Not sure if the install of the remote start kits requires this but in the past reprogramming of other vehicles required all keys be present so they didn't get dropped out of the system. Since my dealer doesn't seem to know the answer I plan on having all the keys present just in case. But I can't remember how many we got. I know there are two keys with integrated keyless entry but do you also get valet keys? Was hoping someone could confirm before I start tearing the house apart looking for something that might not exist.

We got the ford accessory that came with two new keys with RS buttons on them. Therefore, when it was done, we ended up with four keys that will all work (although only two can remote start the car because the two that came with the car didn't have that button).

(Our Edge has the standard turn-key ignition, 2012 SEL)

Edited by Opusnbill7

Well got the remote start installed and of course received zero documentation with it. Right now everything is set to auto but can anyone confirm at what temps the heat or cooling kicks in? I seem to remember some saying right around freezing but don't recall anything for cooling.

OK another question...when is the negine supposed to turn off? The way it seems to work now is you can open the door, insert key and turn to on position but it doesn't shut off until you try to change gears. Doesn't make sense to me since you would have to put the car back in park to restart. Is this really the way it is supposed to work? I thought it was supposed to shutdown when the door opened.

OK another question...when is the negine supposed to turn off? The way it seems to work now is you can open the door, insert key and turn to on position but it doesn't shut off until you try to change gears. Doesn't make sense to me since you would have to put the car back in park to restart. Is this really the way it is supposed to work? I thought it was supposed to shutdown when the door opened.

My factory installed remote start (push button) does not turn off the engine when the door is opened. I wouldn't like it any other way.

I press the brake & hit the start button to get control of the car.

My factory installed remote start (push button) does not turn off the engine when the door is opened. I wouldn't like it any other way.

That's how mine works as well. If you touch the shift lever before you get control (by pressing brake pedal and pushing start button) it will shut down but that's the only way I've seen it turn off.

That's the great thing about the factory setup and the IA integration - you never have to fumble for keys, just walk up to the car, grap the door handle (car unlocks automatically) and get in. Brake pedal and push start and you're on your way - car never shuts down from the remote start, and the key stays in your pocket all the while after. On a snowy wintry day like today, it's even more appreciated LOL

• Like 1

So with non IA what are you supposed to do? Seems kind of strange that I have to apply the brake and start to shift out of park to get it to shut down then put vehicle back in park, insert key and start the car then shift out of park. I am afraid to have the wife insert the key before this point though because if she turns it too far she'll engage the starter when it is already running. Or does this kit also disengage teh starter so you can't do that?

So with non IA what are you supposed to do? Seems kind of strange that I have to apply the brake and start to shift out of park to get it to shut down then put vehicle back in park, insert key and start the car then shift out of park. I am afraid to have the wife insert the key before this point though because if she turns it too far she'll engage the starter when it is already running. Or does this kit also disengage teh starter so you can't do that?

In my dad's aftermarket system(on a corolla), when you remote start you unlock the car with the keyfob, sit in the drivers seat, insert the key into the car and place it in the ON position(don't crank the car but put it in the ON position) then press the brake and shift into drive/reverse and just go.. Car never turns off unless you forget to put the key in and move it to he ON position.

M.