48 Hours to Decide....Help please?

Hi Everybody,

I am a possibly soon to be owner of a new Edge. I was car shopping for the missus and ended up making a deal when I had not intended too, but hope this is fair, since she is 500 miles away and has never even been inside an Edge. I have until 1600 PST on 12-28 to call off the deal so maybe someone can help me make my decision.

First the car: 2012 SE FWD in White, with equipment group 101A, and strangely enough, has an interior wrapped in buttery tan leather, to a total price of $30,427.80.

First the Cliff's Notes version for any quick responses: $2,595 cash down, $2,008 credit on an early lease return, $3,000 in rebates. That puts us in the lease for 27 mo with a payment of $202.55 (BTW income tax is ridiculous around here, close to 9%) Residual value would then be $19,968. The dealership of course claims to be selling this at a loss, although they should turn profit from a fair trade in exchange. Would you take it or walk away? What chances do I have of getting more than $3,000 in incentives or another SE with leather?

Now for anyone detail oriented, more precise data.

Agreed vehicle value: $30,427.80, with a gross cap cost of 31,022.80. I believe the price is fairly accurate with destination, the $800 101A package and a $1k charge for the leather upgrade.

The dealership is offering $3,000 off MSRP, along with $2,008 dollars as trade for our CRV lease with 3 months left,then paying out of pocket $2,000 + ($595 for the Wear Care so as to not pay interest); total down is $7,603.89.

This leaves a gross cap cost of $24,757.81, residual $19,968.30. The depreciation is $4,789, rent charge $5,040 and breaks to base monthly of $186.68 and $15.87 tax for $202.55.

Thanks if you can reply in time!

I used fords online builder and put san fran zip code in. I come up with $28,375 for the 3.5 or $29,370 for the 2.0 ecoboost. So those prices are before all the other crap. The Ford builder doesn't allow the addition of the leather seats. so not sure how much they actually cost.

I don't know all of the options you have, but I would not get it if it has My Ford Touch until the new release and you can see all of the problems have been worked out.. Or, if you really want the car, ask for more of a discount because of the uncertainty of My Ford Touch

I don't know all of the options you have, but I would not get it if it has My Ford Touch until the new release and you can see all of the problems have been worked out.. Or, if you really want the car, ask for more of a discount because of the uncertainty of My Ford Touch

Many of the problems with MFT I personally think are user error. No different than a computer. I haven't really had my edge very long, 2 and a half weeks, but I don't have even 2% of the issues many people are complaining about. Mine has froze and immediately rebooted once, however I tried to make it do 4 things at the same time. A computer is no different. I have only had that one issue. I have found with the sync part you need to pronounce words how they look not the correct way in English. Other than the one crash and restart that took all of 3 mins I have had zero problems and I have put 700 miles on it. As far as people complaining about having to take their car into the dealer to have the updates done, they really do not belong having a "smart" car. I followed the very simple instructions on syncmyride.com and it took 45 mins total to update the software on MFT.... I take the complaints to be about as valuable as consumer reports (next to useless). Biggest problem is 95% of people have zero patience and that is why they are having so many issues with MFT. They aren't going to get much more of a discount because the dealer is not going to go below invoice unless they absolutely have to. Dealers don't stay dealers long if they do...

Many of the problems with MFT I personally think are user error.

The issues with MFT are most definitely not user error. As Akirby has mentioned in other threads Ford knew there were tons of bugs before it was released and have not been able to fix them. Bugs are not user error, though I will say some bugs may be forced by the way some use the system but again it is not user error. User error doesn't make the nav crash on start up, phones randomly connect/disconnect, USB sometimes recognized sometimes not etc etc.

So to Delldell's point if you are not in need of a vehicle now I would hold off to see if the rewrite fixes the issues or if you are willing to take a big bet they fixed it after several tries see if they will give you a better deal. Overall that deal didn't sound like something I would have a hard time passing up. I would also be leary of why they need to do a deal so quickly especially on a 2012. If you really like the car ask if you can put $100 down to hold it to have the wife check it out. Buys you a little time to do a little more research.

Many of the problems with MFT I personally think are user error. No different than a computer. I haven't really had my edge very long, 2 and a half weeks, but I don't have even 2% of the issues many people are complaining about. Mine has froze and immediately rebooted once, however I tried to make it do 4 things at the same time. A computer is no different. I have only had that one issue. I have found with the sync part you need to pronounce words how they look not the correct way in English. Other than the one crash and restart that took all of 3 mins I have had zero problems and I have put 700 miles on it. As far as people complaining about having to take their car into the dealer to have the updates done, they really do not belong having a "smart" car. I followed the very simple instructions on syncmyride.com and it took 45 mins total to update the software on MFT.... I take the complaints to be about as valuable as consumer reports (next to useless). Biggest problem is 95% of people have zero patience and that is why they are having so many issues with MFT. They aren't going to get much more of a discount because the dealer is not going to go below invoice unless they absolutely have to. Dealers don't stay dealers long if they do...

You are sadly mistaken my friend. The vast majority or issues are absolutely software related. 700 miles is hardly enough time behind the wheel to make your assessment. I am at 20K right now and MFT has given me more issues than I care to mention. I am optimistic about the update, but I still would advise caution when buying a vehicle with MFT.

You are sadly mistaken my friend. The vast majority or issues are absolutely software related. 700 miles is hardly enough time behind the wheel to make your assessment. I am at 20K right now and MFT has given me more issues than I care to mention. I am optimistic about the update, but I still would advise caution when buying a vehicle with MFT.

I have 18k miles and had my first glitch - still on version 1.8 and would buy my car again.

Love it.

The issues with MFT are most definitely not user error. As Akirby has mentioned in other threads Ford knew there were tons of bugs before it was released and have not been able to fix them. Bugs are not user error, though I will say some bugs may be forced by the way some use the system but again it is not user error. User error doesn't make the nav crash on start up, phones randomly connect/disconnect, USB sometimes recognized sometimes not etc etc.

So to Delldell's point if you are not in need of a vehicle now I would hold off to see if the rewrite fixes the issues or if you are willing to take a big bet they fixed it after several tries see if they will give you a better deal. Overall that deal didn't sound like something I would have a hard time passing up. I would also be leary of why they need to do a deal so quickly especially on a 2012. If you really like the car ask if you can put $100 down to hold it to have the wife check it out. Buys you a little time to do a little more research.

If they are forced by the way people use it then I would say it is user error... Anyway nothing is perfect but I wouldn't not buy the car because of MFT that is all I am saying. Ford has acknowledged there are issues great but I would be willing to bet the people having issues is a very small percentage of owners. Just because many on here are having problems the members here probably make up roughly 25-35% of owners and not everyone on here is having an issue. Also a phone connecting and disconnecting isnt the end of the world you just push phone and connect problem solved. If that doesn't work you just go in and forget the pairing and do it over again. There are many people that don't belong doing anything while the drive as it is, so not being able to gossip on their phone while driving isn't a bad thing either. As far as the nav crashing haven't had that happen yet. However I can say I travel 25,000 miles in 8 months out of the year for work and have had many times I have been ready to throw my Garmin nuvi out the window..... I would say patience is the key to mft. It crashes and uses gets flustered... there is a big part of the problem. I think many people have forgotten how spoiled they are. You could spend about 10-15K more for a BMW and have mechanical issues..... Just saying.....

If they are forced by the way people use it then I would say it is user error... Anyway nothing is perfect but I wouldn't not buy the car because of MFT that is all I am saying. Ford has acknowledged there are issues great but I would be willing to bet the people having issues is a very small percentage of owners. Just because many on here are having problems the members here probably make up roughly 25-35% of owners and not everyone on here is having an issue. Also a phone connecting and disconnecting isnt the end of the world you just push phone and connect problem solved. If that doesn't work you just go in and forget the pairing and do it over again. There are many people that don't belong doing anything while the drive as it is, so not being able to gossip on their phone while driving isn't a bad thing either. As far as the nav crashing haven't had that happen yet. However I can say I travel 25,000 miles in 8 months out of the year for work and have had many times I have been ready to throw my Garmin nuvi out the window..... I would say patience is the key to mft. It crashes and uses gets flustered... there is a big part of the problem. I think many people have forgotten how spoiled they are. You could spend about 10-15K more for a BMW and have mechanical issues..... Just saying.....

Again I would say you are way off the mark. I am happy for you that yours is functional but if you think only 25-35% are affected I think you are dellusional. Just about every review of a Ford product with MFT has mentioned the bugs and Fords reliability ratings have dropped since its introduction. Again until you experience these issues you will never know the pain others are facing. I was like you at one point (when I had 2.8) only having an occasional hiccup and couldn't relate to those on here having daily issues. Then I "upgraded" to 2.11 and now every day we see something quirky. Just today Ford finally tried to call me, I was driving, phone was paired, MFT indicated call but refused to let me take the call, I couldn't even force it by grabbing the phone. As you mentioned some you can live with other you can't. This is one thing I refuse to acccept...I have integrated hardired handsfree devices in other cars and had several BT devices over the years and never had issues like this. Try having your system reboot over and over for 15 minutes straight and not have access to controlling your temp, radio etc. It just randomly picks something and does it. Could be blaring loud, hot or cold but you can do nothing about it, just hope the system stabilizes. Then come out an hour later and it works like nothing ever happened. It is because of this lack of hard controls for things that I would steer people away from this product until it is proven. Until you experience things like this you can't appreciate the problems peoople are having.

Again I would say you are way off the mark. I am happy for you that yours is functional but if you think only 25-35% are affected I think you are dellusional. Just about every review of a Ford product with MFT has mentioned the bugs and Fords reliability ratings have dropped since its introduction. Again until you experience these issues you will never know the pain others are facing. I was like you at one point (when I had 2.8) only having an occasional hiccup and couldn't relate to those on here having daily issues. Then I "upgraded" to 2.11 and now every day we see something quirky. Just today Ford finally tried to call me, I was driving, phone was paired, MFT indicated call but refused to let me take the call, I couldn't even force it by grabbing the phone. As you mentioned some you can live with other you can't. This is one thing I refuse to acccept...I have integrated hardired handsfree devices in other cars and had several BT devices over the years and never had issues like this. Try having your system reboot over and over for 15 minutes straight and not have access to controlling your temp, radio etc. It just randomly picks something and does it. Could be blaring loud, hot or cold but you can do nothing about it, just hope the system stabilizes. Then come out an hour later and it works like nothing ever happened. It is because of this lack of hard controls for things that I would steer people away from this product until it is proven. Until you experience things like this you can't appreciate the problems peoople are having.

I think you are both right - both sides are hard to imagine if you have only seen one side - I think it has been argued enough. Just my opinion though.

I think you are both right - both sides are hard to imagine if you have only seen one side - I think it has been argued enough. Just my opinion though.

Exactly. Some people have had lots of problems, some have had almost none. Most are probably in the middle and have had some problems but not serious ones. It's not worth debating over and over and over.

Exactly. Some people have had lots of problems, some have had almost none. Most are probably in the middle and have had some problems but not serious ones. It's not worth debating over and over and over.

I am not trying debate the extent of the issues. What I am simply trying to correct is 11edgelimited's assertion that the problems are user error and that the issues shouldn't afect your decision to buy is just irresponsible. If these cars had hard controls for all the normal stuff (HVAC, radio etc) that still function with a dead MFT I would agree that it is a PITA but mearly an inconvenence. But living without heat when it is 0 degrees out is just not acceptable. Granted this topic has been covered many times in countless threads but the OP has 1 post; he is probably only searching out pricing info, without a heads up on the MFT it is likely he would not know of the issues. In the end it is the OP's decision to make what he wants to do with his money but if he comes here looking for advice we should provide as accurate info as possible. IMHO