After market Subwoofer InstallationI

If you have the Sony system, you already have a subwoofer. But to answer your question, yes you can add one without losing any factory items. You would need an amp, a subwoofer speaker and enclosure, and LOC (Line Out Converter) to convert speaker wire to RCA inputs to the amp (though some amps have speaker lead inputs). You'll also need a trigger wire to turn the amp on when the radio is turned on (but some amps with speaker lead inputs kick on when a signal comes in from the speaker lead inputs). I'm no expert on any of this stuff, so let some of the more knowledgeable fill in more info and perhaps correct any misgivings I've put down.

If you really want to have some bump and be stealthy JL Audio has a stealth box that replaces the stock sub woofer. It hides in the panel in the back so you don't lose any space. You do have to modify the panel a little but for the benefit of cargo space it may be worth it. I'll probably pick one up here in the near future...

If you really want to have some bump and be stealthy JL Audio has a stealth box that replaces the stock sub woofer. It hides in the panel in the back so you don't lose any space. You do have to modify the panel a little but for the benefit of cargo space it may be worth it. I'll probably pick one up here in the near future...

do you have a picture or the model # for that sub woofer from JL audio

• 2 months later...

FWIW, I recently had a 6" Bazooka sub, a Boss Chaos Epic 5 channel amp & a RE-Q5 to my 2011 SEL and I am extremely happy with the results. The amp is a 2500 watt unit and I had a local installer do the job. Bought the equipment myself through Amazon.

I did not have the Sony system though, so the tube sits in the back but does not take up much space. It is rigged in such a way that I can easily remove it if I needed to haul something that takes up the whole back area. The amp is under the rear second row seat on the driver's side.

Equipment was about $330 total and the install was about $220.

Peace,

DM

• 2 weeks later...