Looking to buy with questions

CaptKirk

Hi, my first post here.

I have been checking out the site for a while and think I have decided to look for a 2011 Edge Limited. Or, maybe the SEL.

My biggest question is, how bad is this "Touch" dash board/software?? This is all you hear about, how bad it is. Is it fixable with updates? Has it been updated and fixed already? Or, is it really just a learning curve? I don't think it is a deal breaker for me..... or should it be??

Also, what are the major differences from the SEL vs the Limited??

Thanks for all of you help!

-Kirk

Hi, my first post here.

I have been checking out the site for a while and think I have decided to look for a 2011 Edge Limited. Or, maybe the SEL.

My biggest question is, how bad is this "Touch" dash board/software?? This is all you hear about, how bad it is. Is it fixable with updates? Has it been updated and fixed already? Or, is it really just a learning curve? I don't think it is a deal breaker for me..... or should it be??

Also, what are the major differences from the SEL vs the Limited??

Thanks for all of you help!

-Kirk

You are going to get a ton of varied opinions here. MFT has so much potential, but the software is indeed very flawed. It is absolutely not a learning curve issue. They have been several updates put out by Ford, but the fixes have been marginal at best. I think the upcoming rewrite may very well be its salvation, but if not, I will probably be trading mine for something else in the near future. Don’t get me wrong, the Edge is a great car, but the MFT has a lot of room for improvement. Your best bet is to probably take one for an extended test drive and see for yourself. Just don’t expect MFT to operate like it has been portrayed in the commercials.

Edited by fathead

Does the MFT come in only the Limited? Or does it come standard in the SEL also?

Thanks again

-Kirk

It's both a learning curve issue and software problems with a few hardware problems thrown in for good measure.

The new software due out in the next month or so should fix both the software problems and the usability issues (to a point - this is still a high tech interface). If you can use a smartphone you shouldn't have any problems with usability.

It's standard on the limited and optional on the SEL.

You can see a comparison of different model trim levels at the following link:

http://www.ford.com/...rs/edge/models/

I'll add too that all the "issues" with MFT should be taken with a grain of salt in that it's human nature that you'll hear a lot more from people with problems, than from people without. Not to diminish in any way the issues that some do indeed have, but just keep in the back of your mind that on web forums like this it's only natural that people will vent more than praise. Personally I picked up our new Limited back in October and I can honestly say I've had zero problems with MFT, including Nav, although that does see limited usage. It boots up quickly, doesn't lock up, loads songs from my Ipod as it should, and my Samsung phone works great. I've learned (yes there is a bit of a learning curve) to use the voice control extensively as once you get used to all that hands free control, you wonder what buttons were ever invented for anyway LOL. Good luck with whatever you decide!

P.S. unfortunately MFT doesn't help my online typing/spelling ability LOL

Edited by Scorpio
  • Like 1

I'll add too that all the "issues" with MFT should be taken with a grain of salt in that it's human nature that you'll hear a lot more from people with problems, than from people without. Not to diminish in any way the issues that some do indeed have, but just keep in the back of your mind that on web forums like this it's only natural that people will vent more than praise. Personally I picked up our new Limited back in October and I can honestly say I've had zero problems with MFT, including Nav, although that does see limited usage. It boots up quickly, doesn't lock up, loads songs from my Ipod as it should, and my Samsung phone works great. I've learned (yes there is a bit of a learning curve) to use the voice control extensively as once you get used to all that hands free control, you wonder what buttons were ever invented for anyway LOL. Good luck with whatever you decide!

P.S. unfortunately MFT doesn't help my online typing/spelling ability LOL

I would wait until the new software release is out and see if it works or avoid MFT all together. I have had nothing but problems with the current system and would have returned the car multiple times over if this had been possible. Vehicles with issues are the norm, not the exception (this is based on discussions with various Ford service departments). Other than MFT, the Edge is a nice vehicle but there are many other nice vehicles out there that don't have MFT issues.

I've been lucky with mine, too. I have the 2011 Edge Limited and I can't express how much I love this car The MFT has worked great for me - no problems. My iPhone works very well with it, too - always connects, never drops the pairing, etc. I love the hands-free system and can't imagine not having it now. The voice control works excellent as well (even a year ago when I had one of the worst cases of laryngitis that I have ever had - how it could understand me I'll never know but it did lol!). If I want to play music from my iPhone, that works great, too. The things that are the most important to me like reliable phone pairing, voice control/hands-free system, back-up camera - those all work well for me so I'm happy. Navigation is also great but that's not something I use too often because I don't travel much. I've had my car one year already and I love it as much as I did when I brought it home from the dealer. Besides the technology, it drives like a dream and it is so quiet! I also love the way it looks (I have the black on black). Oh and speaking of the voice commands, it's fun to tell the car you're hungry lol. I finally tried that command the other day and it was hilarious to see it answer me with the suggestions of food places in the area! Anyway, good luck with your car shopping :)

We love our Edge (excluding the MFT). It is a nice ride is very capable family hauler and offers a pretty damn good value. But with that said if this MFT doesn't turn around soon I will be pursuing a lemon law. I have been "working" with SMR tech support, IVT support and Ford CS...still no better. Most recently they replaced the APIM and within days it was back to locking up. Beyond these constant MFT issues we also have several TSB's that apply to our vehicle which I have mentioned to my dealer and Ford CS...still nothing has been fixed even with Ford CS Regional Manager's assurance all would be taken care of. So I am quite dissillutioned with Ford right now.

What I would suggest is sitting tight to see what happens with the rewrite. Chances are it will be a huge improvement but it is a big gamble to take. I know there are pretty good incentives on 11's now but based on recent threads saying 13's will be in production soon I am sure you'll see incentives improving on those too.

Don't buy a car with the current MFT. It will make you angry anytime you drive. I would wait to see peoples review of the update. I am so sorry I bought this car. I have been trying to figure out how to get rid of it since it had 1000 miles on it. I would trade it in, but in 4000 miles it is now worth 18,000 under the sticker.