Custom Tune on the way!

PhantomX

Seeing as I'm an car guy through and through and can't leave anything I own alone, I went searching my Mustang contacts to see who can tune the Edge. I sent my strategy code over and both VMP (in Orlando) and Livernois (Detroit) can both tune it, and both have tuned the Edge before. I ordered the VMP tune this evening and should have it tomorrow and I'm ordering the Livernois tune as well. I want to try the two out and see which is best. Since I already have an SCT XCAL3 I just need the custom tune files. VMP is the cheapest, it was $66 OTD. Livernois will probably cost me a few bucks more.

Both Justin (VMP) and Dan Millen (Livernois) are outstanding tuners and have years and years of experience. Justin's Mustang runs 9.8's with a Roush TVS and basic bolt-ons and his wife drives it everyday. Justin also tunes just about anything he has a whole forum dedicated to all the cars he's tuned and the results he got. Each should be able to squeeze an easy 10-20whp with just a 93 octane tune. It's not just the power that helps though, they do shift points, raised rev limiter, no speed limiter, better throttle response and firmer WOT shifts.

In my tinkering tonight I pulled the snorkel on the air box and could physically feel the engine pulling air through the larger inlet. It's about 20% bigger without the snorkel. I can hear a little more noise and the SOTP feel was good. Before I couldn't turn the front wheels over hardly at all, now it spun more than expected. I did some dynolicious runs (I've used this at the track and it's pretty darn accurate) and got some 0-60 and 1/4 mile pulls. I was actually surprised I turned a 6.6 0-60 time and 9.9 1/8th mile. The one clean full run I got was 15.3 with a little wheel spin. I figure a tune should drop that to about 14.9-14.8 with a good launch. Not to shabby for a 4000lb SUV. I'll do a couple runs after tune and see how she does. Low 6's for the 0-60 should be achievable. I'm not looking for it be super fast but a little more "go" is always a plus...

Funny thing was I got the best results with the traction control on and leaving it in "D" and load the converter to about 1200 rpm and mat it. When I put it in "M" it seems to firm the shifts a touch and sharpen throttle response which just caused me to actually spin the front wheels almost all the way thru 1st gear, oh how I love 50 degree weather lol... I also received my Eibach Pro Kit today and will be installing those in the next few days... Pictures an more coming soon.

Oh and did anyone did a nice custom exhaust on their Edge? What mufflers did you use and do you have any droning issues in the cabin? Wouldn't mind a bit more growl but don't want the drone when I'm cursing...

• Like 1

PhantomX: Don't know if you have seen this YouTube video of an '07 Edge that has had some great mods done to it, including a Magnaflow exhaust system.

He's also installed a CAI and has what he called a "Sprint Booster". It eliminates the delay in throttle response. Interesting. That is one of the issues I have had with my Sport. There is just way too much of a delay. Have you heard or know anything about this product? He has a couple of other videos of his Edge. Click on his username "chadrippy" next to his YouTube video to see them.

Here's a video of a Sport with a Madnaflow exhaust.

I've heard about it, it plugs inline in the harness and changes the throttle response. What many don't realize is this can be done via a custom tune. It's one of the reasons I get them with throttle by wire cars, it really improves throttle response, shifting and the overall driving experience. The extra 20-30HP/TQ doesn't hurt either :shift:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...