When mods go wrong...

PhantomX

It seems the Edge is just not a mod friendly automobile and is putting up a fuggin fight. I started with the springs and that seemed to go OK but it was a bigger job than expected. Then I moved to the exhaust, trying to make it actually produce a little sound, it was way to quiet. That's where it really went downhill. I've had them configure the exhaust 3x now and it still sucks. It just sounds like a big fart, no other way to put it. So after spending $500 on that crap I'll be spending another $325 to reorder the stock catback and put that back on (we hacked the old one to death). Now some may like the sound but after driving my 5.0 it's just not working for me. So I'm willing to trade anyone in tampa a complete custom system for there stocker...

Then the real ugliness started. Got a tune for it emailed this evening and as you would imagine I'm all excited to see what it will do. Well that turned into quite the freakin fiasco. First it wouldn't download the stock file. SCT needed a firmware update. Got that done, went back out and it still wouldn't do it. I realized you had to press the start button so many times before it's in the right "mode". So get that working and all seems well. Downloads the stock file, uploads the tune and then it really went freakin sideways. Started throwing all these errors, Bliss system error, Engine light on, warnings popping up, it's basically freakin out. I try and start it and it barely runs, It's shaking and popping and the throttle pedal doesn't even work. So I'm like that's it turn it back to stock, or so I thought... Apparently it corrupted the stock file and now it refuses to upload it, gives error 1016 unable to upload file. From the research basically you have to call SCT they have to resend you a stock file and you have to reformat the tuner, oh yeah...

So now the truck is being towed to the dealer who I will politely ask to reflash the PCM tomorrow so I can actually drive my truck again. I don't know what went wrong cause the SCT has been a solid unit for me, I've done the SHO and the Mustang with it, probably used it 30-40 times making changes to the 5.0 alone. Apparently it really doesn't like working with Ford Edge's. Note to self, don't do that crap again...

So needless to say aside from the springs and tint this puppy (at least performance wise) is staying totally stock. I'm thinking if I do anything it will be audio related or cosmetic, what could possibly go wrong there right :rant2: and to top it off my Goldwing's in the shop too... Ugh...

Sorry for the long rant. If your gonna tune beware it might go really wrong...

Edited by PhantomX
  • Like 1

IT LIVES!!!

Thanks to the guys at SCT support for getting the truck running again. I called them first thing and explained what happened. After getting some files from the unit they uploaded a force return to stock file and had me try that.

On the first attempt it failed as did the subsequent 5 tries after that. So I sent the guy I was working with a quick email about the failure and that I was sitting in the vehicle did he have any last minute suggestions, otherwise it's new PCM time. He emailed back about a minute later (he was on the phone with another customer) and said to try it without turning the vehicle on or start the upload and then turn it on. I figured what the hell nothing to lose. Plugged in and picked return to stock and when it prompted to turn the key on I just hit go instead. Damn if it didn't unlock and start uploading the stock file!!! Hit the button and she fired right up with no warnings. I was thrilled.

The dealer was super cool about it because they already ordered a PCM from Ford rush delivery. I paid a $50 restocking fee and that was it. Didn't even charge me for diagnostics or anything. So while I was there I ordered the factory exhaust system ($400) and that should be here Friday and I install it this weekend and put this bitch all the way back to stock. The only thing I'm leaving on it is springs!

So lesson learned this vehicle apparently programs differently then my other cars and being so new no one (even Ford it seems) knows how to properly make it work right. I'm glad the tuner isn't messed up as well. No more performance mods for this one that's for sure. Now Audio and appearance stuff muhahahahaha.... I'm just so flipping happy to have it back and running. fingers crossed it stays that way...

Anyone need and SCT Tuner for a Ford? I recommend using it on all 2011 and below vehicles and not on a 2012 Edge