2012 Edge Sport - A Few Problems Already

raider396

On Dec. 22nd 2011 I purchased a brand new 2012 Edge Sport. I may be bias, but I think the Edge is one of the best looking cars on the road, especially the Sport. The Tuxedo Black paint and the 22" wheels are just frickin' beautiful to me. My Edge is just about fully loaded except for one or two small options here and there. The driver entry package is probably my favorite option. The remote start is awsome and I love walking up to the the driver door and having the doors unlock by just touching the door handle. The MFT is glitchy, but I've not had as many problems as I've read others have had, not yet at least. I'm hoping the update is released soon and takes a big step in the right direction to fixing the major issues. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Anyway, the day after I bought it, I drove it from Hickory, NC to Breckenridge, CO and back. About 1600 miles each way, plus the miles I put on it during my 10 days up there. I loved driving it out there. It's quiet and handles great. The voice controls worked pretty much all the time with a few misses here and there. The Nav never missed a beat. Yes there are times the system is slow to start up or to respond to a command but all-in-all it was a real pleasure to drive across.

Now for the not so good news. I've already had to take it back to the dealership a couple of times for a couple of somewhat minor issues. However, buying an automobile with a sticker price, and this is not what I paid for it, but none-the-less, an MSRP of right at $42,000.00, I figured service visits would be way down the road and few and far between. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case so far. As a matter of fact, my new baby is sitting at the dealership as I type this. The reason for this visit is the power liftgate, another option I really like, stopped working correctly. I would hit or double tapp any of the four buttons to open it and it would open about a third of the way. I would hit one of the buttons again and it would open about another third of the way. I would then hit it a third time and it would open all the way. You would think a forth try would then bring it back down, at least part of the way, as it was all the way up at this point, but it would just keep trying to open up even more. I tried all the resetting proceedures, but to no avail. Turns out that the liftgate module has gone bad and they are going to have to replace it. They also have to check the top port of the two USB ports, as I think it may have gone out as well.

Earlier visits were due to the fact that I had a rattling that I noticed on my way out to Colorado when I would get up to highway speeds. Turns out that 2 of the fasteners that hold the drivers side front plastic wheel well in place had just come out and was allowing the plastic to rattle up against the metal behind it. Those were replaced and the rattling stopped for a while, but returned a few days later. After a short inspection of the same general area I discovered a different fastener had come out of the same wheel well and was rattling against the metal. It was replaced and the rattling has again gone away for the time being.

So I ask the question. Is this normal to have this many problems, as small as they may be, on a brand new car? I still love my new Edge and I'm trying to stay positive, but it's a little disheartening at this point.

UPDATE: No more problems since I first posted this. I LOVE MY EDGE!!!

Edited by raider396

I don't think it's normal but the important part is your dealer. I've had cars with some small issues that became huge because of bad dealer service and big issues that weren't so bad because of good. If you have a good dealership service department don't fret it. Keep track of the issues and your paperwork just in case the worst happens down the road but I wouldn't fret it, just enjoy your awesome new ride and the looks on people's faces when they ask about your ride and rims and you tell them it's stock! :) I know we do!

I don't think it's normal but the important part is your dealer. I've had cars with some small issues that became huge because of bad dealer service and big issues that weren't so bad because of good. If you have a good dealership service department don't fret it. Keep track of the issues and your paperwork just in case the worst happens down the road but I wouldn't fret it, just enjoy your awesome new ride and the looks on people's faces when they ask about your ride and rims and you tell them it's stock! :) I know we do!

My initial impressions of my 2007 (bought new) were pretty good.

The only thing I remember bothering me was the drivers seat clunking when pulling to a stop.

In 45k, it has not gotten worse, so I have learned to live with it.

Trans was weird shifting, and I got used to it as well. During a recent PCM replacement (and nescessary re-flashing of the PCM), it seemed to have taked the shift flare completely away.

Mine turned out to be pretty "tight" with none of the common, little annoyances that sometimes happen.

Yea definitely not normal. So far I have not had any problems with my 2012 Sport, I havent driven it across the country either though. I would be pretty upset if I was having issues with my vehicle other than with mft. Maybe take it to another dealer or mechanic have a good look over, also check your states lemon law to see what they justify as a lemon, you may be able to get it replaced if you are continually having the same issue over and over. Best wishes to having it all sorted, because I am with you on thinking it is one of the most beautiful vehicles on the road today and I'm loving mine more and more everyday I see a different car parked next to it

Well, I've gotten my Edge back and and all is well with the liftgate. My dealership is great, by the way. I have no complaints with them at all. They did tell me that when they got the new liftgate module installed, which is what the system had told them the problem was, it still was not working. The only thing left to replace was the LG motor, but instead of making me wait another day for a new motor to come in, they pulled one out of one of their new Edges on the lot and will replace it when the new motor comes in instead of inconveniencing me any longer. Like I said, they are treating me well. So despite the problems so far, I still love my Sport. I can't tell you how many people comment on how beautiful of a car it is. I also get asked if my rims are aftermarket. I'm like, "Nope!!! Those are the wheels that come on this model." and everybody is like, "Really!!" Then, I read a post earlier where someone had written something along the lines of " those rediculous 22" rims on the sport" or something like that. I just laughed to myself. Why do some people have to be such haters? Everybody has different tastes and likes, I guess. Anyways, thanks for the replys. I think everything will be just fine with my vehicle now and if not, you can bet I'll be back here writing more about it.