Bad Dealership Experience

steve2030

I called up a local dealer and asked for an edge, they had the one I wanted and told me the sticker was 36k, but not in the color I wanted, when I went there on Sat. The sales guy showed me the SEL I wanted in the color I wanted, but this one had stock 20inch rims on it. The stick on it said 37,800. The lease for the 36k car was 329 over the phone, 1719 down 24months. I then asked him how much for the other car he said 339 month with 2010 down. I said what number are you guys working with to get that lease amount and it was like pulling teeth. After asking for the 11th time he went to his boss and came back with a piece of paper that said the number was 34k. I asked him how does that make sense for the 36k car lease to be cheaper then the 34k car lease. Of course I got a b.s. answer. I then said if you guys give me the 329 a month on the 34k car, I would consider it, and they flat out refused, and I ended up walking out. I have never leased a car before, have always financed, but I want to know if I am crazy cus the guy kept saying the numbers dont lie and I was mistaken.

They work the numbers a thousand ways to benefit them. Are you trading in? If so they probobly messed with those numbers and have plans for your down payment other than toward the lease. Find a dealer that is more upfront. They are rare but out there. Also, you need to price out the car and figure out invoice pricing to get the best price. Bring the printouts with you and shwo them what you will pay. If you figure out the invoice pricing you also need to add about $580.00 for their advertising fee which is not in that calculation. Don't forget tax.

Hey Steve

Don't give up, you'll find a dealer willing to work with you. Being in Jersey, I know that there is a dealer in Staten Island, I think the name is DANA Ford. Did you give them a try? As NatG suggested, try some internet quotes. I know if you go on website EDMUNDS.COM, there is a spot where you can put in info for internet quotes, and some delerships will give an additional $500 off, if you go through internet sales. To me a very important factor is the service department. Check the dealerships, and ask if their service department get the Presidents Award? If not, I would shy away from them. This is based on passed experience, take it for what it's worth. Years ago, a friend did not take my advice, went to a high sales volume dealership, to save an additional couple of hundred dollars, and got screwed when it came time to get the car serviced, when he had a problem.

LOL

Joe

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice, I knew car salesmen were considered shady, but this guy made me walk out there with a bad taste in my mouth. I will shop around some more and get the internet prices to bring along with me when I go next time. I am going to look at some dealerships that are a little further away. I was trying to stay close...plus this dealer said they give loaner cars when you get yours serviced...that was a big plus for me.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice, I knew car salesmen were considered shady, but this guy made me walk out there with a bad taste in my mouth. I will shop around some more and get the internet prices to bring along with me when I go next time. I am going to look at some dealerships that are a little further away. I was trying to stay close...plus this dealer said they give loaner cars when you get yours serviced...that was a big plus for me.

I think if the car is under warranty the loaner vehicle perk is accross the board. Teh only time I had a problem was when I had a repair that was booked for only an hour and a half so I was refused, so if you take it in have a good long list for them.

I think if the car is under warranty the loaner vehicle perk is accross the board. Teh only time I had a problem was when I had a repair that was booked for only an hour and a half so I was refused, so if you take it in have a good long list for them.

I think Ford only covers the loaner for the first 12 months of the warranty unless you have the ESP extended warranty. Anything after that probably comes from the dealership.

I expect this will be different for Lincolns at some point as they seek to differentiate themselves from normal Ford service.