Mud flap question

dinoskate

Need some help! My ordered Edge came in to the dealer 2 days ago, they are installing auto start right now. Picking it up on Saturday!

Question: Living in Minnesota, the question of mud flaps has come up. Does anyone have them installed? The dealer said only front ones are available - that sounds strange! Are they totally not necessary on the Edge? Just trying to get some advice and opinions! Thanks in advance!

Don't need them on the rear as you can see in the above photo.....however, I did order the front ones from the dealer, and I just installed them yesterday.

:stop::redcard:However, be aware that the instructions included are not exactly correct. :redcard::stop:

These same mud-flaps are a 'one size fits all' product from Ford. They are made to install on the Edge, MKX, Explorer, & Navigator.

If you follow the enclosed instructions as I did, you will wind up returning them to the dealer, as I did, to have them order another set (at their cost). :finger: The mud-flaps have a template on them with vehicle-designated marking where you are supposed to drill your mounting holes.....if you drill them as indicated in the instructions, they will wind up being install very crooked :banghead: , and look terrible.

The only "Hole Location" that is correct is the "E" hole. The remaining two holes will need to be created by you (the installer) near the designated "Hole Locations" of "M" & "U". I first drilled the "U" hole in the mud-flap using a 1/8' bit (not the 1/4" sized bit the instructions tell you), mounted the mud-flap(s) using the existing screw in the wheel-well, then using a level make them straight, I made my own markings to drill the remaining two "Hole Locations" before drilling into the sheet-metal of the wheel-well. Also the instructions say to use a 7mm wrench to remove the existing screw ("U")....totally wrong, not even close, with or without a conversion to US....it turned out to be a 7/32" wrench.

If you read the printed instructions first and then compare them to what I described above BEFORE you start or drill any holes, it will all make sense, and you'll save time and frustration. When I returned the first set to the dealer, the Parts Manager totally agreed with me that the instructions were bogus...no problems there at all. :yup: I also used a black silicone sealant on the holes I drilled into the sheet-metal.

Please let me know if you have any questions in case I left something out.

- Paul

Edited by snoshuu

Thanks so much for the great information! Do you happen to have a photo of the front mudflaps? Still pondering this option, thinking of the crappy winters we have with the slush buildup! You must have similar weather!

You're welcome 'Dinoskate'!

I will post some pics with the mud-flaps installed after I wash my Edge later today or tomorrow. :shades:

I currently live in Colorado, but will be moving to North Dakota next year, so I'm thinking ahead.

I also recently installed a bug-deflector that I ordered from Ford, and it has already proved it's worth.

- Paul

Thanks so much for the great information! Do you happen to have a photo of the front mudflaps? Still pondering this option, thinking of the crappy winters we have with the slush buildup! You must have similar weather!

''' duplicate '''

sorry :banghead:

Edited by snoshuu

As promised, below is a photo of one of the front mud-flaps I install that I ordered from the Ford dealer.

post-1092-1186351180_thumb.jpg

Also, I installed the Bug-shield that I ordered from the Ford dealer....notice is has "EDGE" etched on it.

post-1092-1186351305_thumb.jpg post-1092-1186351324_thumb.jpg

Maybe the bugs fly lower where I live, or just wishful thinking, but I definitely notice that I have many fewer bugs on the windshield than I do on the bug-shield, side-mirrors, front bumper, and grill that I did before installation. :yup:

Also, a big THANK YOU to the 'staff' for moving this topic. :shades:

- Paul

Edited by snoshuu

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Don't need them on the rear as you can see in the above photo.....however, I did order the front ones from the dealer, and I just installed them yesterday.

:stop::redcard:However, be aware that the instructions included are not exactly correct. :redcard::stop:

These same mud-flaps are a 'one size fits all' product from Ford. They are made to install on the Edge, MKX, Explorer, & Navigator.

If you follow the enclosed instructions as I did, you will wind up returning them to the dealer, as I did, to have them order another set (at their cost). :finger: The mud-flaps have a template on them with vehicle-designated marking where you are supposed to drill your mounting holes.....if you drill them as indicated in the instructions, they will wind up being install very crooked :banghead: , and look terrible.

The only "Hole Location" that is correct is the "E" hole. The remaining two holes will need to be created by you (the installer) near the designated "Hole Locations" of "M" & "U". I first drilled the "U" hole in the mud-flap using a 1/8' bit (not the 1/4" sized bit the instructions tell you), mounted the mud-flap(s) using the existing screw in the wheel-well, then using a level make them straight, I made my own markings to drill the remaining two "Hole Locations" before drilling into the sheet-metal of the wheel-well. Also the instructions say to use a 7mm wrench to remove the existing screw ("U")....totally wrong, not even close, with or without a conversion to US....it turned out to be a 7/32" wrench.

If you read the printed instructions first and then compare them to what I described above BEFORE you start or drill any holes, it will all make sense, and you'll save time and frustration. When I returned the first set to the dealer, the Parts Manager totally agreed with me that the instructions were bogus...no problems there at all. :yup: I also used a black silicone sealant on the holes I drilled into the sheet-metal.

Please let me know if you have any questions in case I left something out.

- Paul

do you have the exact part number for these please?

answer: 7T4Z-16A550-A ..... $25

Edited by Lex Talionis

Great photo's. What did the flaps set you back ? How about the bug deflector? I noticed that Weathertech has a bug deflector for a reasonable price and was thinking of ordering it and some floor liners at the same time.

I was curious about the same. A group buy on these would be great!

• 1 month later...

I got 'em and installed them.

see my gallery for a photo of them installed and the mod I did to them to make them fit. After fussing with them for to long, I decided to cut them as these are a generic fit for like 5 of their cars. So, by cutting off about 2-3 inches from the inside portion (not seen anyway from bottom, or sides - only if you look into the actual wheel well) it made it easier to work around the inner rib that is in the way and that the splash guards want to rise up over when trying to bolt down. See my gallery for the image of the cut I did.

also, when you see them, the view facing out has like a rough pattern surface that follows the exact curve of the body and then outside of that curve it is all smooth - which is what you actually see when installed. that is the perfect guide for where/how to place them as line that up with the body panel.

also, I did not bolt into the body metal, I made my own strategic holes and blew off their pattern and they are very solid. PLUS, I used some black RTV (like silicon) all around the exposed edges on the inside to keep grit/grime out from seeping behind them and to adhere them even more to that plastic wheel well liner I bolted into.

• 2 months later...

no.. wheels not needed to removed. just angle them out to get better access. I would never pay the dealer to do this.. not that hard. 1 banana job. drilling holes in the inner wheel well is not that sketchy. see that I made a strategic cut in those flaps and that made it SO much easier to install as they are generically sized and there is a rib/seam in the wheel well they run up against if you do not cut them.

• 6 months later...

Just thought I would share . I did a simmlar mod to the mud flaps that Lex did . But I used to two exsisting / stock screws . I am going to run it with just these two and see how it does . It feels more then adaquitley attached.

If you are not a DYI person you may not want to try this ; as getting the holes in the exsact right spots and still haveing the mud flap level is not hard but requires a little savy.

Once you have one made move to the outher side and attempt to mount the flap ( backwards of course ) to see if it will work as a templete for your secound one . In my case and I could not beleive it they did match up and had the secound one cut drilled and mounted in under 5 minutes.

I wish some one made a nice aftermarket mud flap that was molded to the body lines /wheel well. Or better yet wish FORD did.I had these dam mud flaps on a 90"s truck.

Just thought I would share . I did a simmlar mod to the mud flaps that Lex did . But I used to two exsisting / stock screws . I am going to run it with just these two and see how it does . It feels more then adaquitley attached.

If you are not a DYI person you may not want to try this ; as getting the holes in the exsact right spots and still haveing the mud flap level is not hard but requires a little savy.

Once you have one made move to the outher side and attempt to mount the flap ( backwards of course ) to see if it will work as a templete for your secound one . In my case and I could not beleive it they did match up and had the secound one cut drilled and mounted in under 5 minutes.

I wish some one made a nice aftermarket mud flap that was molded to the body lines /wheel well. Or better yet wish FORD did.I had these dam mud flaps on a 90"s truck.

Here is another post and pictures on Edge Mud Flaps :stats:

Edge Mud Flaps

Good Luck !!

• 6 months later...

Im going to bump this old dog up. Im thinking of having the dealership install the flaps for me tomorrow (live in MN) but I figured I would check around here and see what those of you who had them found in regards to functionality in winter. Have they helped? Worth the investment? (albeit small)

Thanks!