pulled #29 and now black screen (wtf)

st222

so ive bi reading on here because i just bought my edge and i synced my phone to bluetooth and all was well. then later that night it just wont play my music from my phone now, even tho its connected and i can use the phone part. so then we synced my girlfreinds phone and same thing, it wont play her music but can use the phone part.

so tonight i pulled the #29 fuse and put it back in about 10 minutes later, cause i dropped it and couldnt find. so i found the fuse and put it back in and now my stereo screen is black and the radio wont shut off even when key is out. I have to pull the fuse to stop radio. has any1 else had this situation and what did u do to fix it??

I read u could pull this fuse and u wouldnt lose anything.

Edited by st222

so ive bi reading on here because i just bought my edge and i synced my phone to bluetooth and all was well. then later that night it just wont play my music from my phone now, even tho its connected and i can use the phone part. so then we synced my girlfreinds phone and same thing, it wont play her music but can use the phone part.

so tonight i pulled the #29 fuse and put it back in about 10 minutes later, cause i dropped it and couldnt find. so i found the fuse and put it back in and now my stereo screen is black and the radio wont shut off even when key is out. I have to pull the fuse to stop radio. has any1 else had this situation and what did u do to fix it??

I read u could pull this fuse and u wouldnt lose anything.

First time I've heard of it not working. You could pull the negative battery cable for a few minutes to reset everything.

yet another reason i say NOT to pull fuses or attempt your own repairs unless you fully understand what you're doing.

disconnect your battery (negative terminal) for AT LEAST 5 minutes. reconnect battery, start your car, then wait to see if the performing scheduled maintenance screen comes up. if it just stays black, take it to your dealer

well i tried disconnecting the ground with no luck. when i open the door the stereo stays black. then when i put the keys in and turn it on it still stays black. also when i turn it off and take keys out the screen is still black and stereo wont shut off. man this sucks a.ss

We have had the same thing a few times...wish I could tell you there is something that works. Sometimes it just takes a few power cycles for it to force a reboot.

When you say the screen is black but radio is on...does it react to hard button presses? When this happened to ours I noticed that it would beep like it was acknowledging the press but nothing happened. Also do a search for the reboot app. Some have had luck getting it to force a reboot.

On mine, the reboot works great. I keep a small 4GB flash drive in my console and every might when I get home, I load it and then go inside. My MFT is like a dream now with daily reboots. Okay, I lied. I still always have a back button, even when there's nothing to go back to.

i went out and tried pressing harder on the face, no luck. I tried cycling the key but not letting it clear 1st, so dont no if that matters. its kinda weird that i have to pull the fuse everytime i try something. also i cant remember what my 2 little screens next to the speedo did when i opened the door, but they just stay blue till i turn the key on.

yes the fuse is seated like the others.

when i couldnt find my other fuse when i dropped it, i went in the garage and grabbed a mini fuse. I put the mini fuse in the # 29 spot but it wouldnt go in all the way,but still made contact, then i seen they have a different style mini fuse. I cant imagine that would have done anything. i would imagine if it would be something that could cause major problems they wouldnt make it look and fit the other fuse style. just figuring they gotta think this could happen.

i went out and tried pressing harder on the face, no luck. I tried cycling the key but not letting it clear 1st, so dont no if that matters. its kinda weird that i have to pull the fuse everytime i try something. also i cant remember what my 2 little screens next to the speedo did when i opened the door, but they just stay blue till i turn the key on.

Don't bother with the touch screen...when it is in this state it is useless. Trying to use it now will only raise your frustration level and your likely to crack the screen if you push too hard. But some have reported having luck pressing the hard buttons, like the power for radio and HVAC or voice activation button. Unfortunately though I think you are just going to have to wait for it to decide it feels like working. Like I mentioned above we haven't found any ryhme or reason as to when it crashes or when it unlocks. Fuse pulls, battery disconnects and reboot apps (even the one from Ford) are hit and miss. Sorry dude..I feel for you. Sometimes this system does make me feel like punching my dash.

Don't bother with the touch screen...when it is in this state it is useless. Trying to use it now will only raise your frustration level and your likely to crack the screen if you push too hard. But some have reported having luck pressing the hard buttons, like the power for radio and HVAC or voice activation button. Unfortunately though I think you are just going to have to wait for it to decide it feels like working. Like I mentioned above we haven't found any ryhme or reason as to when it crashes or when it unlocks. Fuse pulls, battery disconnects and reboot apps (even the one from Ford) are hit and miss. Sorry dude..I feel for you. Sometimes this system does make me feel like punching my dash.

lol, me too.. so u think it will just come on by itself eventualy? or do u think the dealer can make it come back?

also was yours doing the same thing with not turning off and stuff? the stereo goes to some am station and u can turn it up and down but thats it. hitting the on off button does nothing

lol, me too.. so u think it will just come on by itself eventualy? or do u think the dealer can make it come back?

also was yours doing the same thing with not turning off and stuff? the stereo goes to some am station and u can turn it up and down but thats it. hitting the on off button does nothing

Yeah we have seen very similar behavior. At least twice we have had the radio stay on after key is removed, door opened and car locked up. Just be happy you can adjust the volume. One time it locked up like this it was stuck on AM hiss pretty damn loud and my wife couldn't change it. If I were you I would document the current behavior with pictures and video. If your dealer is anything like mine, once they hear you have an MFT issue they won't have an opening for 2-3 weeks. But this way you have proof something was happening and if it continues to be a problem you can show them the proof. Some have had luck after getting their APIM replaced...we have not...but Ford is often reluctant to replace these so keep a record of what happens. I was actually keeping a Word doc where I would log the strange behavior and pictures of it. I stopped recently since Ford ran out of ideas and things to try...basically I was told to wait for the rewrite.

I wouldn't say Jack Shit to the dealer about pulling the fuse or anything. Just tell the initial problems.

im with ya on that, but i was thinking by pulling the fuse they may be like o we just need to do this simple thing. but if i didnt tell them and they think it just went out on its own, they may think its something serious and posably have me tied up forever.. who knows

Good luck...I tried driving in the first time and was told they were booked up and said that their tech that knows the most about the system was out that day. So they wanted to schedule me for when he was in. As for mentioning the fuse pull...that is up to you but SMR, IVT and local dealer techs as well as Ford Regional CS Manager all suggested trying this at some point, along with disconnecting the battery. So I would be very surprised if they gave you a hard time about it. After all they do make the fuse panel user accessible.

Well good news, went out this morning and opened the door and all is fine now. I guess mine just needs all night to reboot..who knows!

Glad to hear it...figured it would come around eventually. But next time document the problem with pictures and video. Because as you have already seen it can just start working fine again before you get in to the dealer. Always good to have records of this just in case you really need to push the issue with Ford. But hopefully the rewrite will get rid of 99% of the problems users are currently seeing.