Wheel almost came off

Has anyone experienced the bolt coming completely off that holds the upper rear suspension linkage? Happened to the wife, scared her half to death. I have a pic but can't find a way to post it. While parked I could move the wheel back and fourth several inches by hand. Anyone heard of this or experienced it?

cant say that i have, but i am DEFINITELY interested in seeing pictures!

quick question, have you or anyone else done ANY work on the rear suspension of the car? I ask because i work for a dealership and may be able to take your story to an engineer to see if this an isolated incident or if maybe there is a known cause. as of this morning there are no TSB's or FSA's to address it

cant say that i have, but i am DEFINITELY interested in seeing pictures!

quick question, have you or anyone else done ANY work on the rear suspension of the car? I ask because i work for a dealership and may be able to take your story to an engineer to see if this an isolated incident or if maybe there is a known cause. as of this morning there are no TSB's or FSA's to address it

I found this forum while using my iPhone, that is why I could not find a way to insert an image. I am now on a PC. Regarding your question about anyone working on the suspension, I have no idea. We purchased the vehicle used about 3 months ago. I did take the other rear wheel off tonight and the bolt in question on that side has a bracket with a flange that hangs over a metal lip that appears to be tack welded to the nut. This bracket should prevent this nut from ever coming off. I took the vehicle to a Ford dealer where I live and they said the vehicle is still under the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. The service writer also said that they would take a look at it to see if there is any reason they would not cover the repair. Being as I have no idea what could have been done with the vehicle before I purchased it, I did not go forward with a warranty repair as I would be stuck paying for them to look at it if they determined they would not cover the repair. The night that it happened, I went to a local auto parts store and put a bolt and nut in it so I could drive it home. Another reason I think they may use to refuse to do the repair under warranty. My wife is afraid to drive this vehicle now. Enough rambling from me, here is the pic as an attached file. Thank you for your reply.post-21594-0-78773200-1330924401_thumb.jpg

without any TSB's, SSM's, or recalls you very likely would get stuck with the bill on that. Since no previous history is available the dealership cant submit a warranty claim for that bolt backing out. it looks as if someone attempted to work on the wheel bearing and trailing arm on that side but was unsure of what they were doing.

without any TSB's, SSM's, or recalls you very likely would get stuck with the bill on that. Since no previous history is available the dealership cant submit a warranty claim for that bolt backing out. it looks as if someone attempted to work on the wheel bearing and trailing arm on that side but was unsure of what they were doing.

Guru

What grade bolt should Eckman use?

Eckman,

you bought the Edge used?

For peace of mind and a happy wife you should have a reputable suspension shop or your dealer thoroughly check the suspension!

ab

Ab - good advice. My father has been a master mechanic for 50 years. I was initially just wondering if anyone heard of this happening before. I actually have the original bolt as it was laying on the ground where it came out. The threads are not damaged in any way as if it never had a nut on it. It's tough not knowing what someone did or did not do to it. I have to buy four new bolts and nuts from the dealer for $42 as they won't sell just one. It was fully inspected this weekend and everything looks fine. I only have 1500 miles to go before hitting 36k. The car fax when I bought it didn't indicate any accidents and rated the vehicle an A. Other than this issue the only other things is the toms light is always on and the tires are inflated properly. Thanks for the help and take care.

Ab - good advice. My father has been a master mechanic for 50 years. I was initially just wondering if anyone heard of this happening before. I actually have the original bolt as it was laying on the ground where it came out. The threads are not damaged in any way as if it never had a nut on it. It's tough not knowing what someone did or did not do to it. I have to buy four new bolts and nuts from the dealer for $42 as they won't sell just one. It was fully inspected this weekend and everything looks fine. I only have 1500 miles to go before hitting 36k. The car fax when I bought it didn't indicate any accidents and rated the vehicle an A. Other than this issue the only other things is the toms light is always on and the tires are inflated properly. Thanks for the help and take care.

There is no history for this type of problem and it's fairly obvious it didn't leave the factory that way or it would have been noticed years ago. I would check really well for signs of an accident. Do the control arms look newer? Any overspray? Perhaps it was damaged and repaired privately before being sold or traded in.

Ask your service advisor to run an Oasis report on your VIN with the warranty history. That should tell you if there had been warranty work done in that area of the vehicle (plus any other concerns the vehicle has had that were addressed.)

Ask your service advisor to run an Oasis report on your VIN with the warranty history. That should tell you if there had been warranty work done in that area of the vehicle (plus any other concerns the vehicle has had that were addressed.)

<---- service advisor

PM me your VIN and i'll run an OASIS rip for you tonite