Brake Shudder

My Edge has a shudder when brakeing ie: above 45mph mostly, it shakes the steering wheel and just doesn't seem to be right. I don't know if its the ABS or what the problem is. :stop:

You may have warped your front brake rotors. As you apply the brakes, it sends a shaking up through the wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes a little rust and corrosion can cause the shutter. Ever notice how your discs looks a little rusty a couple days after after driving thru a rainstorm, assuming you go without driving it afterwards. Corrosion on the rear brake pads on my 2005 Five Hundred was so bad they had a recall. It felt light you described but more pronounced. It first surfaced after I went on vacation for 2 weeks and it sat in the garage. I guess the rust and corrosion had time to build up without being removed thru normal braking. Once you get too much it may take a few hard stops to wipe it off.

:wacko:

Sometimes a little rust and corrosion can cause the shutter. Ever notice how your discs looks a little rusty a couple days after after driving thru a rainstorm, assuming you go without driving it afterwards. Corrosion on the rear brake pads on my 2005 Five Hundred was so bad they had a recall. It felt light you described but more pronounced. It first surfaced after I went on vacation for 2 weeks and it sat in the garage. I guess the rust and corrosion had time to build up without being removed thru normal braking. Once you get too much it may take a few hard stops to wipe it off.

We drive this car every day and have had little rain, the car is also garaged at night so I think the rust reason is out. I will be taking the car to the dealer (as soon as they get a part in that fell off) and they are going to check it out. It is getting worse the more we drive, we now have 650 miles on it. :reading:

My MKX had some rust from sitting on the dealer's lot, but at 600 miles, the slight rubbing sound on braking is gone. Operating as expected .

Ford did not have a recall on FiveHundred brakes - just extended the warranty from 1 year 18,000 miles to 3 years/36,000 miles. Owner notification program. Some early Five Hundreds brake pads were susceptible to swelling when wet, causing them to ware out sooner than expected.

Rotor warpage generally occurs when you get the rotors very hot and hold the pads in one position on the rotor while the rest of the rotor cools. When you make a hard stop, creep forward to disipate the hear over the total rotor surface. Stop 8 to 10 feet from the white line and roll it out or put the vehicle in park with your foot off the brake.

This doesn't sound like rotor warpage, so let the service department diagnose and fix the problem. Could be tires, rims, mounting, alignment, balance, etc.

Edited by Grey

• 3 weeks later...
My MKX had some rust from sitting on the dealer's lot, but at 600 miles, the slight rubbing sound on braking is gone. Operating as expected .

Ford did not have a recall on FiveHundred brakes - just extended the warranty from 1 year 18,000 miles to 3 years/36,000 miles. Owner notification program. Some early Five Hundreds brake pads were susceptible to swelling when wet, causing them to ware out sooner than expected.

Rotor warpage generally occurs when you get the rotors very hot and hold the pads in one position on the rotor while the rest of the rotor cools. When you make a hard stop, creep forward to disipate the hear over the total rotor surface. Stop 8 to 10 feet from the white line and roll it out or put the vehicle in park with your foot off the brake.

This doesn't sound like rotor warpage, so let the service department diagnose and fix the problem. Could be tires, rims, mounting, alignment, balance, etc.

:censored: Had the car in for service today and just got a call from the service dept, they removed some rust from the rotors, test drove the car and now say they are going to resurface the rotors as they still got the shudder and shake when braking. I will post the findings they say it should be ready tomorrow. Car has less than 900 miles on it.

My Edge has a shudder when brakeing ie: above 45mph mostly, it shakes the steering wheel and just doesn't seem to be right. I don't know if its the ABS or what the problem is. :stop:

Ours had the same thing and they SAID it came from the car sitting on the lot or factory or wherever.....basically surface rust on the rotors and they turned them. It seemed to fix it. Said it would not shorten the life of the brake rotors at all. that was the story on ours.....

hope this helps you.

Ours had the same thing and they SAID it came from the car sitting on the lot or factory or wherever.....basically surface rust on the rotors and they turned them. It seemed to fix it. Said it would not shorten the life of the brake rotors at all. that was the story on ours.....

hope this helps you./quote]

Thanks for the input, should find out today if that is the case with mine. :reading:

hope this helps you.

BS alert! Rotors have a minimum acceptable thickness and can only be turned a couple of times. Even turning them once removes material and makes them lighter and less heat resistant.

I don't even like to turn Ford rotors once but I have done it. I'd insist they replace them next time they need to be turned.

BS alert! Rotors have a minimum acceptable thickness and can only be turned a couple of times. Even turning them once removes material and makes them lighter and less heat resistant.

I don't even like to turn Ford rotors once but I have done it. I'd insist they replace them next time they need to be turned.

Thanks I kinda thought that and planned to have it noted on the repair. :shades:

Thanks I kinda thought that and planned to have it noted on the repair. :shades:

:hyper: Well they fixed it by turning the rotors down on the front, I questioned them about the job and they claimed it was such a small amount that it would not shorten the life of the rotor or cause it to over heat. Just hope they are right. :stats: