Chrome rims leak with ambient rmperature change

Edge DAD

I have a 2010 Edge SEL with 18" chrome rims. Mileage approx 22k. This winte,r if we experienced a very cold temperature with in few days of higher ambient temperatures or vise versa the rims leaked loosing about 10 psi.. Sometimes it is 2 on one side or one on the dl side. I happens over a few days or so. It seams like I have to fill the tires every other week. Vehicle is garaged..

If you look up Boyles Gas Law you will find that gas (air) will expand with a corresponding temperature increase. A temperature decrease will cause a pressure decrease.

This is why tire pressures should be taken cold. When a tire rotates on the road the internal tire friction, and friction with the road will cause the tire to heat up and the tire pressure to increase.

If you put nitrogen in your tires, temperature will not affect the tire pressure as much, if any.

I had the same problem with our 11's 22" wheels. All four tires were losing pressure at different rates. I brought it to the dealer and he said he dismounted, cleaned, and remounted and balanced all the wheels. Three seem fine, one still has a leaking problem. I'll have to mention it when it goes back for other tweaks.

I had the same problem with our 11's 22" wheels. All four tires were losing pressure at different rates. I brought it to the dealer and he said he dismounted, cleaned, and remounted and balanced all the wheels. Three seem fine, one still has a leaking problem. I'll have to mention it when it goes back for other tweaks.

the original poster has an issue with Boyle's law.

however your issue is probably covered by a TSB in regards to the 22" inch rims leaking at the bead seats due to corrosion on the bead seat area