MPG is much better than I expected

Maximus510

Black clearcoat SEL+ FWD

Vista-Class II towing- leather etc...

Hi y'all,

Just picked up my new Edge 3 days ago. Checked out all other models available out there in the SUV-Cross-over catagory, Hyundai, GMC, Nissan, Mazda etc... and the Edge delivered on everything we had on our wish list.

One thing I'm amazed at is the fuel milage. (Keeping in mind that my last vehicle was a Dodge Dakota quad cab 4X4 and this is a FWD). So I reset the computer after topping up the tank. I'm averaging 19.5 MPG city!!!! I was a little suspicious at first since the vehicle only had 49 miles on the odometer and is still extremely tight (I had read a few posts about the odometer being off), so I took my GPS out with me to see if the speedometer/odometer were properly calibrated. After driving almost 50 miles with it, the milage matched the odometer perfectly. I haven't taken it out on a long highway trip nor tried pulling my 2500lbs boat with it yet since I'm still breaking it in by driving in the city at least for the first 800 miles. (As per the Ford tech at the dealership) I have to admit that the mileage computer does help in my driving habits. I always try to keep the MPG up as high as I can!!! Nifty little gadget.

I'm wondering if anyone else has faired so well with their Edge? I can't wait for the vehicle to loosen up a little as it should improve mileage even more.

I will do a manual calculation once I refuel it to see if it isn't the computer giving me false readings.

Thanks,

One happy Edge owner

• 1 month later...

I might get slightly less than that with pure city driving but it's pretty close. On the highway, as long as I keep my speed in the 70 mph range, I get about 24 mpg. Very happy so far!!

Black clearcoat SEL+ FWD

Vista-Class II towing- leather etc...

Hi y'all,

Just picked up my new Edge 3 days ago. Checked out all other models available out there in the SUV-Cross-over catagory, Hyundai, GMC, Nissan, Mazda etc... and the Edge delivered on everything we had on our wish list.

One thing I'm amazed at is the fuel milage. (Keeping in mind that my last vehicle was a Dodge Dakota quad cab 4X4 and this is a FWD). So I reset the computer after topping up the tank. I'm averaging 19.5 MPG city!!!! I was a little suspicious at first since the vehicle only had 49 miles on the odometer and is still extremely tight (I had read a few posts about the odometer being off), so I took my GPS out with me to see if the speedometer/odometer were properly calibrated. After driving almost 50 miles with it, the milage matched the odometer perfectly. I haven't taken it out on a long highway trip nor tried pulling my 2500lbs boat with it yet since I'm still breaking it in by driving in the city at least for the first 800 miles. (As per the Ford tech at the dealership) I have to admit that the mileage computer does help in my driving habits. I always try to keep the MPG up as high as I can!!! Nifty little gadget.

I'm wondering if anyone else has faired so well with their Edge? I can't wait for the vehicle to loosen up a little as it should improve mileage even more.

I will do a manual calculation once I refuel it to see if it isn't the computer giving me false readings.

Thanks,

One happy Edge owner

Ok... What did I miss here?

Just purchased an 07 Edge (Charcoal, AWD, loaded no sunroof and no navagation) and I'm getting 13.4 MPG.

Computer display says 17.5 (which I think is too low) and based on miles driven and gallons filled, I'm getting 13.5 MPG. Last fill only got me 265 miles.

Love the vehicle... cannot stand the mileage. It's scheduled for service this week. Amazing, after one month I need to get it serviced.

It has just over 1,400 miles. Never had to break in a car before.

I'm getting about 21+ in town (pretty flat, slight down hill to work 17 miles, then back; getting 26mpg to and 20-21 on the return trip) and so far 24mpg on the freeway from Phoenix to Sedona and back. Some ugly hills on the way up, and one coming back. Speed between 60-70 for the most part.

I have a pretty flat road trip coming up to a star party so I'm very keen on seeing what she does then.

Just turned 2000 miles and the mileage is creeping up.

Other low mileage posters that could not attribute their numbers to driving habits lived in hilly country. This car drinks gas on hills - I suspect the weight has a bit to do with this. :)

Well...Took a bit of a road trip with 1400+ miles on the odometer. Topped up before leaving, reset the computer and away we went. For an all-highway steady 60 MPH trip, topped up again when I returned (tried to be as accurate as I could based on my first fill-up, knowing full-well that the fuelling nozzle will click-off sooner). The vehicle took in 5.7 gallons and I had 168 miles on the trip-odometer. I have to admit that it was a very flat drive, no wind, 70 degrees (with no a/c running) and only two people in the vehicle.

I'm happy!!!

City- not so good. Only averaging 18-20MPG.

post-1046-1190478210_thumb.jpg

That is pretty good alright. I've found for city driving the longer the drive with sync'd lights you can do pretty good (assuming about 40mph for major trunk). But short trips to the store and such it's not so good. Too many stop and goes.

I'll be doing a similar trip in a few weeks so you have certainly given me high expectations! :)

Ok... What did I miss here?

Just purchased an 07 Edge (Charcoal, AWD, loaded no sunroof and no navagation) and I'm getting 13.4 MPG.

Computer display says 17.5 (which I think is too low) and based on miles driven and gallons filled, I'm getting 13.5 MPG. Last fill only got me 265 miles.

Love the vehicle... cannot stand the mileage. It's scheduled for service this week. Amazing, after one month I need to get it serviced.

It has just over 1,400 miles. Never had to break in a car before.

Hey NHSysprog, That's why I went with the FWD...

A co-worker has the exact same Edge SEL as mine (except he has DVD Nav. + 2500 more miles than mine) but in the AWD version and his is averaging 5-6 MPG less than mine. After comparing driving habits, we both came to the conclusion that we pretty much drive the same. I was going to go with the AWD at first but decided to against it purely based on this fact.

Try adjusting your driving habits to see if it'll make a difference. I'm sure you'll notice an improvement. Also, it will get better as you put milage on it.

You also mentionned service??? Sevicing what exactly?? Is your delership going to charge you an arm and a leg to simply put your vehicle on a hoist and check the fluid levels???Follow your service manual's recommended service intervals and save yourself some money.

As for break-in... Engine/transmission tolerances are are very low now but you should still be careful in the first 300-400 miles with a new vehicle. (i.e. - not pull anything, no harsh braking/accelerating, try to vary your speed...)