Is remote starter avail on 2008 Edge?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi everyone,

This may be a dead thread, but I thought I'd let you all know I installed the Ford factory remote start on my Edge this weekend. For the most part it was very straight forward. I learned a trick on how to find the correct wires around the fuse panel if anyone wants to attempt this install in the future. There are a series of bundled wire connectors around the fuse box. All you need to do is unplug a connector and see if the device you are trying to locate stops working. Then inspect the wires in that bundle for the proper wire color combination. This tip saved me a lot of time and worry. Also, there's really no good place to come through the firewall, so I found a grommet just in front of the driver's side mirror. I removed the plastic trim piece and ran the hood switch wire through the grommet to the hood. If you need pictures - let me know and I will post them.

HTH,

Paul

• 1 month later...

The factory REMOTE START and ALARM, are both PRE-WIRED on the AWD LIMITED EDGE's.

It's basically a plug and play mod.

IF you go and give some bud to a ford mechanic, maybe he can hook you up with a couple of pages of the book they go read onto how to install them...cuz mechanics are not ELECTRITIANS, so they have to follow the step by steps from the book.

;)

The factory REMOTE START and ALARM, are both PRE-WIRED on the AWD LIMITED EDGE's.

It's basically a plug and play mod.

IF you go and give some bud to a ford mechanic, maybe he can hook you up with a couple of pages of the book they go read onto how to install them...cuz mechanics are not ELECTRITIANS, so they have to follow the step by steps from the book.

;)

Did I say bud??? I meant BEER!!!!

Well I don't have an AWD, but after doing the install myself with the OEM remote start module - I would find it hard to believe it was completely a plug and play process. The OEM module did have a few PnP connectors but there are still several wires you have to splice into the harness (like the horn, driving lights, brake switch, etc.). Anyway, if you need to splice anything I found my "process of elimination" technique saved me a lot of worry since there are a lot of wires in the Edge :)

Edited by PaulWatkins

• 1 month later...
Well I don't have an AWD, but after doing the install myself with the OEM remote start module - I would find it hard to believe it was completely a plug and play process. The OEM module did have a few PnP connectors but there are still several wires you have to splice into the harness (like the horn, driving lights, brake switch, etc.). Anyway, if you need to splice anything I found my "process of elimination" technique saved me a lot of worry since there are a lot of wires in the Edge :)

THe only thing i do not like about it was that is only effective at around 33' from the vehicle, at that distance I'm almost inside the car, and the panic button is also not very effective, any way of increasing that distance?

You have to get the antenna for the remote start module up behind the rearview mirror. I can get at least 100' distance in most cases and from my 5th floor office I can start the car from the middle of a rather large parking lot.

The only thing I don't like about the system is the soft single honk I get confirming the signal (which is almost impossible to hear unless you're really near the car) and the parking lights are almost useless in the daylight if you're trying to see if the car is running.

One thing I love about the system is when I pull up to a store and I have the kids in the back watching a movie, I can press the start button and then I'm able to take the keys out of the iginition and still keep the car running. Obviously this will only work for quick errands (less than 5 minutes), otherwise the car will turn off.

You have to get the antenna for the remote start module up behind the rearview mirror. I can get at least 100' distance in most cases and from my 5th floor office I can start the car from the middle of a rather large parking lot.

The only thing I don't like about the system is the soft single honk I get confirming the signal (which is almost impossible to hear unless you're really near the car) and the parking lights are almost useless in the daylight if you're trying to see if the car is running.

One thing I love about the system is when I pull up to a store and I have the kids in the back watching a movie, I can press the start button and then I'm able to take the keys out of the iginition and still keep the car running. Obviously this will only work for quick errands (less than 5 minutes), otherwise the car will turn off.

The car stays on for 20 minutes if started by the remote start, after 20 minutes it will shut down...How is that thing of the antenna are you serious I would place a yagi is I need to just ot start if from long distance specially at my work, it is visible???