18" vs. 20" wheels

DeeKC

I just ordered my 2008 Edge yesterday, and the only thing I am still thinking about changing is the tire size.

Ordered the SEL Limited so the 18" chrome is standard. Did not order AWD as I live in KC and get around fine in my 2001 FWD Taurus.

I would like to hear arguments for and against 20" wheels. Is there a big difference in performance, wear/tear, aeshetics, etc.

Let me know what you think and why.

Thanks.

I just ordered my 2008 Edge yesterday, and the only thing I am still thinking about changing is the tire size.

Ordered the SEL Limited so the 18" chrome is standard. Did not order AWD as I live in KC and get around fine in my 2001 FWD Taurus.

I would like to hear arguments for and against 20" wheels. Is there a big difference in performance, wear/tear, aeshetics, etc.

Let me know what you think and why.

Thanks.

Go check tire prices and you'll stick with the 18s. 20s will put more wear and tear on the brakes and will probably ride a little stiffer.

I'm partial to the 20's; you will notice a different ride. You will go from a 245/60/18 to a 275/45/20 (perhaps wider). Almost the exact diameter but wider (of course).

www.1010tires.com has a neat conversion tool so you can see how much different in width, diameter, etc you will have between tires sizes.

Many of us here have gone to 20's and 22's. Do a search and look at the pictures.

That will give you some good ideas on what you like.

I saw this same picture, but in a much larger format somewhere else.

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/protot...=20763&pg=1

If you study that concept Aviator closely, you'll be about to see that the new '08 MKX is using the same style 20" wheels AND grill. In this photo, and article it mentions 21" wheels. Also the grill is suppose to only be available on a limited edition monochrome MKX in black only.

I do wish they had used the prototype fog lamps. Further into the article, you'll see interior and rear end views.. Too much Bling Bling for me.

More links.

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_dis...m?release=16658

For you people that want to go ROOFless in an Edge. here you go:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6731

Larger rims give a slightly rougher ride. The air in a tire and sidewall hight is you cushion to absorb bumps. Taller sidewall gives more dampining. Shorter sidewall tires roll less and corner better. Take a look at the tires made for the size rim before you choose. 18" tires that fit the edge are limited IIRC.

07 MKX.. DO NOT READ BELOW!! MAY LEARN SOMETHING!!!

The truth is...are all round and will roll from A to B... so the question is...how much money you want to throw away? Its only for show, bling, whatever. I like em. Makes a ride really stand out... but a fad... nothing more. Created by pro athletes, music artists, actors and everyone else with more money than they know what to do with and/or don't think about the future. Example: MC Hammer. He had more than most make in a life time but now he's poo, not poor, poo. Lost everything cause he olny though of today and not tomorrow. happens to big lottery winners often. If I did choose to get some though, it would be after market over what Ford has to offer. They're made stronger, made from higher quality materials and will make your ride different from all the other Edge/MKX's on the road. My advice...go stock and save the dough. IMO... HP>rim size and looks... but thats me. To each his own. Just don't have rims worth more than the car like some foo's. You've seen 'em B4...Fo sho.

EVEN MORE BORING and OFF TOPIC!!!

Retirement cost is very expensive and rising!!

"In any event, $300 a month saved for 540 months at 7% gives a future value of $1,137,000. If you wait until you are 30 to start saving, that $300 is only worth $540,000 when you are 65! Not Saving $36,000 in Your Twenties Costs You $597,000 When You Are 65! That is nearly $600,000. What could you do with $600,000?"-Retirement Cost

Many retirement calculators online to see where you stand. Expert opinions range from 70-100% of current annual income for every year of retirement not including hobbies, travel, fun, etc. In 02, the avg 75 yr old lived off 23K a yr. Thats not for me! Just get started ASAP or you may end up bagging groceries at 70.

All questions are welcome for those who care. I'll help if I can.

FYI...best investment....REAL ESTATE!!! Always goes up and not making any more of it. Worst investment...a new automobile...always goes down in value and has reoccurring cost. Looses the most value in first year. Now you know!

If nobody cares for reading my posts cause they are boring or whatever please speak up. If if was worth my time and you learned something or it helped in some way let me know. Not getting many comments here for some reason... maybe just lack of member population. Lots of lurkers though. It will grow along with Edge ownership!

Ever seen a Ford repair kit????????????????????????????????? Its called a hand grenade! (Chevy joke...sorry...older ford owners understand)

My 2 cents,

Reh

Edited by rehtaf