Changed Oil Yesterday and Wife Getting Low Oil Msg and Engine Cutting Off

goslats

I thought I had read somewhere that in some later MY Edges Ford had put an access door underneath one of the rear seats to get to the fuel pump. Again, I could be wrong on that. I do know that on the Gen II Explorers the fuel pump was directly below the driver side rear passenger seat and Ford procedure was to drop the tank if the fuel pump needed swapping. Some folks cut a 8" x 8" hole out rather that drop the tank. Then they just replaced the cut out and sealed it up with silicone. Luckily the fuel filter was along the frame rail underneath the drivers door.

• Like 1

I thought I had read somewhere that in some later MY Edges Ford had put an access door underneath one of the rear seats to get to the fuel pump. Again, I could be wrong on that. I do know that on the Gen II Explorers the fuel pump was directly below the driver side rear passenger seat and Ford procedure was to drop the tank if the fuel pump needed swapping. Some folks cut a 8" x 8" hole out rather that drop the tank. Then they just replaced the cut out and sealed it up with silicone. Luckily the fuel filter was along the frame rail underneath the drivers door.

No idea exactly why this was changed after the initial model years of the Edge. I would suspect this eliminates the fuel vapors from entering the cabin, reduces costs associated with assemble etc. Dropping the tank is not a real difficult job and can be done in a short amount of time. the only issue is dealing with a tank that had a lot of fuel in it. Not sure I would cut a hole in my Edge. I would just drop the tank. Take it as an opportunity to conduct and full inspection and cleaning.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Mine is now throwing that "Low Oil Pressure" warning. However, the circumstances for mine are different.

a) The engine still runs

B) It seems to only happen when I am at the end of an exit ramp or on a slight incline

I had the dealer check the oil levels and they were fine. They are speculating that the oil pressure sending unit may be going out.

....and, I top off on fuel and run the factory spec 5w20 semi-synthetic oil as well.

Edited by PrinzII
  • Like 1