Front License Plate Frame Ideas

So I just got my new plates for my 2017 Sport, and I tried to use the two license plate frames that I purchased a week ago from Wal Mart. The one for the rear has a black plastic backing (to give the license plate solid surface, and black trim that fits over the top and covers up the for screws. Unfortunately this frame wouldn't fit, due to the rear camera being so close to the license plate. However, I really wanted to use this frame, so I trimmed out part of the frame with a Dremel, so that I could get it to work. This frame looks great; very clean and has a solid look to it.

I also purchased a frame for the front which is a smoked cover for the plate and a black plastic trim piece for the edge. However, due to the way the bracket supplied by the dealer works, it only has mounting screws for the bottom of the plate, and the plate fits up in a set of clips that holds the top in place. But due to this design, the cover I purchased for the front won't work. For that matter, the one I purchased for the rear wouldn't work either, and I don't know what would.

Does anyone else here that is forced to have a front plate mounted have a solution that I came up for a nice cover and/or frame that works for the front? If so, do you have pictures and can you supply the manufacturer of the frame?

• Like 2

Here in Texas it is a requirement that you have front and rear license plate. However, it is seldom ticketed if you don't have one. I have not run a front plate for 20 years and never had a problem, even if I had been stopped for another reason. I think you have to be stopped for a moving violation before a cop can issue a citation for no front plate. That is, you cannot be stopped specifically for a front plate violation but if stopped for a different reason, you can be cited for it. Its like a 'fixit ticket' tho and not a serious violation.

• Like 1

Here in Texas it is a requirement that you have front and rear license plate. However, it is seldom ticketed if you don't have one. I have not run a front plate for 20 years and never had a problem, even if I had been stopped for another reason. I think you have to be stopped for a moving violation before a cop can issue a citation for no front plate. That is, you cannot be stopped specifically for a front plate violation but if stopped for a different reason, you can be cited for it. Its like a 'fixit ticket' tho and not a serious violation.

Here's the history of why they resended the code back in 2013. (And why it's still confusing as to whether it's needed or not). ($200 fine.)

https://www.bhwlawfirm.com/license-plate-law-in-texas-front-license-plate/

• Like 2

I modified the front plate holder by removing the tabs that were designed to retain the top of the plate and drilled holes in the mount to accept standard license plate mounting screws using the plate as a template..

I looked at doing that, except the top two holes would be so close to the bumper, that it would mean drilling in to the bumper as well, as the screws would surely protrude into the bumper. I really don't want to put two more holes into the bumper.

Austin, I bought 1/2" long hex head sheet metal screws at a local hardware store. I also put tape on the drill bit to limit the depth to approximately 3/8". I used lock washers to ensure that I did not screw into the bumper.