Transaxle Drain & Refill - How much drains out?

Eclipse1825

Like the title says how much fluid should I expect to come out by pulling the drain plug? From other topics I have seen anywhere from 4quarts to 7quarts.

Is the difference from having it in netural or not? Hot or cold? I planned on changing when it is cold. So the fluid is the same as fluid that is replacing it.

I am about to do a drain and refill on my 09 and just want to know how much to expect. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Eclipse1825

Just pull the plug and let it drain until it stops. I think the spec calls for Mercon LV-XT-19-QLV (or equivalent). I used Valvoline MaxLife LV Synthetic and have had no problems. 11.1Qts/10.5L is capacity but when I did a simple drain and fill I got about 6Qts out of it. I do my changes at 30k intervals.

• Like 1

My 2009 AWD specs Mercon V (5). I drain and fill every year and it take 5.5 quarts.

Ā 

I purchase 6 quarts. I drain (via turkey baster) the fluid in the power steering pump (it takes Mercon V as well) and use the remaining 1/2 quart to fill that.

Ā 

I find around this time Jan/Feb I can get 6 quarts for Castrol Mercon V for $32 at the local auto parts store. Pretty cheap annual insurance to keep the transmission and power steering system working good.

Edited by evh
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just did my 2007 using Motorcraft Mercon V. Drained and refilled it 3 complete times. each time I added 5 quarts drove it street and highway for about 5 miles and drained it. when the last run was done it was at the middle of the hatch marks on the stick, It wasn't really warmed up yet so I'll check it after my 20 mile trip to work on Monday and add if necessary. I have been faithful at 50K miles between changes.

post-31363-0-21352100-1523131443_thumb.jpg

• Like 1