ignition coil malfunction

hill392

I have a 2007 Ford Edge with a bad ignition coil. The problem occured all at once, the car had sudden loss of power, erratic idleing and just ran terrible. Tested it with a code reader and it shows two codes, a "p0356" and a "p0353" wich states ignition coil "c" and ignition coil "f" malfunction. Could anyone tell me in what order the coils are marked? I removed the front three coil packs and found the center coil pack was obviously burnt. I hopeing that the other bad coil is in front as well, just not as visibly damaged. Just trying to avoid removing the intake.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2007 Ford Edge with a bad ignition coil. The problem occured all at once, the car had sudden loss of power, erratic idleing and just ran terrible. Tested it with a code reader and it shows two codes, a "p0356" and a "p0353" wich states ignition coil "c" and ignition coil "f" malfunction. Could anyone tell me in what order the coils are marked? I removed the front three coil packs and found the center coil pack was obviously burnt. I hopeing that the other bad coil is in front as well, just not as visibly damaged. Just trying to avoid removing the intake.

Still looking for answers.. went to Ford dealer after this happened and wouldn't ya know it they had one in the shop with the same symptoms.. They replaced all of the COP coils, plugs and ECM for a total of just over $2000. I'm changing the plugs and COP coils myself to save a little money then I'm having the dealer install the ECM since they have to flash it..I found one other thread on this site where the owner was having the same problem. Unfortunately they never posted how it was resolved. I just wonder how many edges are having this same problem? I replaced the COP coils with BWD's and funny thing was I could only get 2 of them the rest were on back order. Hopefully I can finally get the Edge to the dealer next week. I'll post the out come for future refrence..

Still looking for answers.. went to Ford dealer after this happened and wouldn't ya know it they had one in the shop with the same symptoms.. They replaced all of the COP coils, plugs and ECM for a total of just over $2000. I'm changing the plugs and COP coils myself to save a little money then I'm having the dealer install the ECM since they have to flash it..I found one other thread on this site where the owner was having the same problem. Unfortunately they never posted how it was resolved. I just wonder how many edges are having this same problem? I replaced the COP coils with BWD's and funny thing was I could only get 2 of them the rest were on back order. Hopefully I can finally get the Edge to the dealer next week. I'll post the out come for future refrence..

OK turns out Ford has recently released a TCB that addresses the problems I am having. Turns out the PCM's are failing causing the COP coils to stay on, thus heating up and ultimately melting the COP coils. Ford is replacing all of the COP coils, sprak plugs and PCM at no cost to the customer. There are certain stipulations though, one being the car ha less than 80,00 miles. Not sure about other qualifications but I barley made it on the miles. Hats off to Ford for standing behind their product. Hope this post helps some one else.

• 4 months later...

I have a 2008 Ford Edge limited addition. Love it! (You know a whats next right.....a but) But, driving down the interstate in rush hour traffic it started a thumping noise. I thought I had a flat and FINALLY made it to the side of the interstate to check it out. No flat tires, so I restarted the car and slowly idled only to hear strange thumping a feel the lunging of the car. I stopped again and then the check engine light came on and started flashing. I called the Ford Dealership and was told to have it towed in. Upon arriving at the dealership, they got me in a rental (at their expense) and told me they would update me when they knew something.

Ā 

Several hours later I was informed that it was the Coils and the PCM. The PCM is back ordered so I won't have my vehicle back until later next week. The service manager said that they replaced all six coils and when the PCM comes in I should be ready to go. I have 36,000 miles on the car and it's all covered under warranty. Just wanted to state that I started having issues back in May on the interstate it started jerking randomly at different speeds. We also noticed the fan on the motor was staying on more than usual. Took it in when we got back and they couldn't find any issues with it. Didn't notice problem anymore until now, but did have problems with battery drainage issue. It would start fine one day and the next day...dead as a door nail! So, keep an eye out for lurching, extended fan running and battery problems as a heads up to a bad PCM.

Ā 

Update (11-1-11) I've had my car back for over a week now and all is great. My Ford service was exceptional!!! They covered the 6 COP coils, 6 new plugs, a gasket and the PCM chip that was bad and since the part took a bit to get in they did a full maintenance (gave me a NEW battery since mine was low) and a complete detail! I left feeling like I had a new car and didn't spend a dime! This is exactly why I have bought 5 vehicles from this dealer!

Edited by ChristyBaskettePowell

• 1 month later...

OK turns out Ford has recently released a TCB that addresses the problems I am having. Turns out the PCM's are failing causing the COP coils to stay on, thus heating up and ultimately melting the COP coils. Ford is replacing all of the COP coils, sprak plugs and PCM at no cost to the customer. There are certain stipulations though, one being the car ha less than 80,00 miles. Not sure about other qualifications but I barley made it on the miles. Hats off to Ford for standing behind their product. Hope this post helps some one else.

Ā 

Had the same issue at 44,000 miles.

Tsb clearly states it is covered under the 8 year, 80,000 mile emissions warranty, but they told me to pound sand.

For clarification, my local dealer, and ford customer service were the ones that said I was out of luck.

Repairing it as per the TSB cost me $1500 .

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

On a longshot, I called the dealer that sold the Edge to me (new).

They are not local.

They are attempting to plead my case. If it fails, I will let the lawyer sort it.

I do have a pdf of the Tsb if anyone needs it.

Just email me @ vrodpete@msn.com

When I first went to the dealer and explained my problem they never said it would be covered under warrenty and no TSB's were yet to be issued. So my plan was to replace the COP's and plugs myself and have Ford replace the PCM since they would have to flash it. I ended buying 4 COPs at $80 a piece and spark plugs. I then had the vehichal towed in to the dealer for the new PCM. While it was in the shop they called and said they were going to replace all the COP's, spark plugs and new PCM under the 80,000 mile poweretrain warrenty but they were unable to reimburse me for the COPS and plugs I had bought. i was unable to return the COPs I had purchased so I was out a little money. I was just glad I didn't have to pay for the PCM..Good luck with your case. Post the out come for future refrence.

Ā 

Had the same issue at 44,000 miles.

Tsb clearly states it is covered under the 8 year, 80,000 mile emissions warranty, but they told me to pound sand.

For clarification, my local dealer, and ford customer service were the ones that said I was out of luck.

Repairing it as per the TSB cost me $1500 .

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

On a longshot, I called the dealer that sold the Edge to me (new).

They are not local.

They are attempting to plead my case. If it fails, I will let the lawyer sort it.

I do have a pdf of the Tsb if anyone needs it.

Just email me @ vrodpete@msn.com

I have a 2008 Ford Edge. Codes 301,300,302,351,352,and 354 Came on today without warning. Looks like I'm calling the Ford dealer. Unfortunately I have almost 90,000 miles.

Ā 

I sent you the TSB, so check your inbox to be sure it arrived.

The way it is worded, you are screwed.

As I read it, they owe me, but told me to piss off.

Ā 

RockAuto has the best deal on the coilpacks. $60 each for the Motorcrafts. The Motorcrafts are Genuine Ford coils, reboxed.

I have a 5% off discount code. Feel free to use it:

It expires Jan 22, 2012

Ā 

Also, order the Victor Reinze Upper intake gasket set. $5 and equal or better quality to the Ford gaskets.

Ā 

I have a used 07 PCM I purchased from a reputable high end salvage yard.

It came off a wrecked 07 with 44,000 miles.

If you want to go that route, instead of buying a new one for $700-$1000, shoot me an e-mail. I will sell it for what I have in it. $130 shipped to the lower 48 states.

Ā 

I wish you luck.

I had to lawyer up.

Doesn't matter much though. I will likely buy a Hyundai, and dump this pig.

I dont care so much that it broke, but Ford is out of line, so I will never buy another one.

There must be some reason they didn't cover it. What was the reason given?

Ā 

They told me that the TSB is wrong. That the PCM is not covered, only the Diagnostic module.

They also explained that a written legal document (their technical service bulletin) is superceeded by their verbal comments on the phone (based on her discussion with an engineer).

At that time, I realized I was dealing with an idiot, or a thief. Don't get me wrong, the gal was very polite and respectful while telling me to go away.

When I asked politely to elevate this to the next level of complaint (regional manager, etc), I was told it ends here, and I have zero recourse with Ford.

I was advised (by the Ford chick) to hire an attorney if I chose to continue to complain. She also said to hang on to the parts and receipts because I would be re-imbursed if it was elevated to a recall in the future.

I appreciate their recommendation, and did just that. Lawyered up.

Regardless of the outcome, they have lost a customer for life. I am only out $1500.

Real shame in the end because I have just paid off the 07 Edge and was going to trade it on the 2012 Edge. I love mine, and am impressed at how nice they have become in a short time.

Edited by Pete K

They told me that the TSB is wrong. That the PCM is not covered, only the Diagnostic module.

They also explained that a written legal document (their technical service bulletin) is superceeded by their verbal comments on the phone (based on her discussion with an engineer).

At that time, I realized I was dealing with an idiot, or a thief. Don't get me wrong, the gal was very polite and respectful while telling me to go away.

When I asked politely to elevate this to the next level of complaint (regional manager, etc), I was told it ends here, and I have zero recourse with Ford.

I was advised (by the Ford chick) to hire an attorney if I chose to continue to complain. She also said to hang on to the parts and receipts because I would be re-imbursed if it was elevated to a recall in the future.

I appreciate their recommendation, and did just that. Lawyered up.

Regardless of the outcome, they have lost a customer for life. I am only out $1500.

Real shame in the end because I have just paid off the 07 Edge and was going to trade it on the 2012 Edge. I love mine, and am impressed at how nice they have become in a short time.

Ā 

That makes no sense whatsoever. There is something else going on here that you're not telling us about. The TSB has nothing to do with whether it's covered by the warranty or not. If you only had 44K miles then it should have been covered.

That makes no sense whatsoever. There is something else going on here that you're not telling us about. The TSB has nothing to do with whether it's covered by the warranty or not. If you only had 44K miles then it should have been covered.

Ā 

I could understand why you would think that. However, the TSB clearly states:

Ā 

Warranty Status:

Ā 

"Eligible under provisions of new vehicle limited warranty coverage and emissions warranty coverage"

Ā 

New vehicle is 3 year, 36,000 miles and emissions warranty is 8 year 80,000 miles. This information is as per my owners manual.

If you understand the phrase above as not under warranty for an origional owner (at 4 years and 44,000 miles), for this problem, please enlighten me.

I, and my attorney understand it as covered, and Ford disagrees.

I had no beef with Ford. I only posted to help the next victim. If this screwing did not occur, I would have purchased another one.

I have been 100% forthcoming. I have sufficient income to fix my ride. This is the principal of the thing. Money is spent, Car is fixed and (for now) runs well. I am out approx $1500 and Ford wont reimburse me. That is the facts as I understand them

If there is more to the story, Ford has that info.

Ā 

Again, if anyone needs a copy of this TSB to protect themselves, please let me know, and I will send it.

Although my dealer denied it existed, I found it.

Ā 

Edit: If someone from Ford reads this, and decides they want to do the right thing, contact me @ vrodpete@msn.com.

At the very least, I feel better knowing that this and other threads will show up in a google search forever.

*It is important to me that the the rest of the victims do not get shafted as well.

Edited by Pete K

I could understand why you would think that. However, the TSB clearly states:

Ā 

Warranty Status:

Ā 

"Eligible under provisions of new vehicle limited warranty coverage and emissions warranty coverage"

Ā 

New vehicle is 3 year, 36,000 miles and emissions warranty is 8 year 80,000 miles. This information is as per my owners manual.

If you understand the phrase above as not under warranty for an origional owner (at 4 years and 44,000 miles), for this problem, please enlighten me.

I, and my attorney understand it as covered, and Ford disagrees.

I had no beef with Ford. I only posted to help the next victim. If this screwing did not occur, I would have purchased another one.

I have been 100% forthcoming. I have sufficient income to fix my ride. This is the principal of the thing. Money is spent, Car is fixed and (for now) runs well. I am out approx $1500 and Ford wont reimburse me. That is the facts as I understand them

If there is more to the story, Ford has that info.

Ā 

Again, if anyone needs a copy of this TSB to protect themselves, please let me know, and I will send it.

Although my dealer denied it existed, I found it.

Ā 

Edit: If someone from Ford reads this, and decides they want to do the right thing, contact me @ vrodpete@msn.com.

At the very least, I feel better knowing that this and other threads will show up in a google search forever.

*It is important to me that the the rest of the victims do not get shafted as well.

Ā 

What exactly were the symptoms and what was replaced and by whom? The TSB itself doesn't dictate what is or isn't covered by the warranty - it only tells technicians how to fix specific problems. Either the parts are covered by the warranty or not. It doesn't make sense that Ford would pay other claims but deny yours without some extenuating circumstances (or the dealer screwed up).

Ā 

I'm just trying to understand the problem. This doesn't make sense.

What exactly were the symptoms and what was replaced and by whom? The TSB itself doesn't dictate what is or isn't covered by the warranty - it only tells technicians how to fix specific problems. Either the parts are covered by the warranty or not. It doesn't make sense that Ford would pay other claims but deny yours without some extenuating circumstances (or the dealer screwed up).

Ā 

I'm just trying to understand the problem. This doesn't make sense.

Ā 

Agreed. They are sweeping it under the rug. I have found that business often comes down to personalities, and obviously my dealer did not care to help.

Ā 

Symptoms:

Driving to the airport at 4am one fine monday morning, and car develops what feels like a bad ignition miss.

Limp car off interstate, and into a parking lot.

Have car towed home.

While away on business, called 2 local dealers, and visited 2 Ford dealers while traveling. All 4 tell me they are not aware of any TSB's or recalls that pertain to drivability, or engine.

Return home, and plug in my scanner. I get 3 codes P351, P352, P354.

These mean bad coil cylinder 1, 2 and 4.

Call local dealer again, and ask if there are any know issues or TSB's regarding multiple coil failures on my 3.5 Edge, or any other Ford car or truck (as it is almost impossible for 3 to crap out at the same instant). They say no, and I am out of warranty.

I decide to fix it myself, as I am out of warranty (so says Ford)

Remove upper intake, and all 6 coil packs to find melted coils, with puss oozing out of them.

*My automotive experience tells me at that point that a failed PCM likely caused this, so I order 6 new coils, 6 new spark plugs, an upper intake gasket set. By the way, this is the exact recommendation on Fords TSB. Replace all 6 plugs, coils, intake gaskets, and use new updated PCM.

I order a guaranteed used PCM from a reputable salvage yard in Minnesota.

Business travel takes me away for a week, and when I return, my parts are delivered to my home.

Phone rings shortly after, and it is a friend of a friend, who is the local Ford dealer's parts manager.

He tells me he became aware of my problem because of a conversation he had with our mutual friend.

He tells me that the dealership (the one he works for) lied to me, and that this problem is rampant with many models, especially the Escape, with the Edge being 2nd most common.

He tells me that Ford has a redesigned PCM that is better than the first, and recommends I order it if I can afford it (so I do).

I install the plugs, coils, and intake, and wait for the PCM to arrive.

In the meantime, Ford parts guy slips my buddy a copy of the TSB, and begs us not to use his name, as he does not want to have his boss come down on hime for letting the cat out of the bag. He tells me that everyone on staff is trained to say they never heard of this problem.

I pay for the new PCM, tow the car to the dealer, and they flash it for $100

When I show the service manager the TSB, he states he knew nothing (which I know to likely be a lie, based on parts guys story), and they will not help me with warranty reimbursement claim.

*I am only looking to be paid my out of pocket on the parts only. Not looking for towing, down time, or labor then, or now.

I call Ford's 1800 number, and chick tells me that the TSB is wrong, and the conversation stating no warranty trumps the written warranty information on the TSB.

Now, I am pissed, and decide that I will not stay quiet, and let them do it to someone else, if I can help it.

Ā 

That's my novel.

Edited by Pete K

Agreed. They are sweeping it under the rug. I have found that business often comes down to personalities, and obviously my dealer did not care to help.

Ā 

Symptoms:

Driving to the airport at 4am one fine monday morning, and car develops what feels like a bad ignition miss.

Limp car off interstate, and into a parking lot.

Have car towed home.

While away on business, called 2 local dealers, and visited 2 Ford dealers while traveling. All 4 tell me they are not aware of any TSB's or recalls that pertain to drivability, or engine.

Return home, and plug in my scanner. I get 3 codes P351, P352, P354.

These mean bad coil cylinder 1, 2 and 4.

Call local dealer again, and ask if there are any know issues or TSB's regarding multiple coil failures on my 3.5 Edge, or any other Ford car or truck (as it is almost impossible for 3 to crap out at the same instant). They say no, and I am out of warranty.

I decide to fix it myself, as I am out of warranty (so says Ford)

Remove upper intake, and all 6 coil packs to find melted coils, with puss oozing out of them.

*My automotive experience tells me at that point that a failed PCM likely caused this, so I order 6 new coils, 6 new spark plugs, an upper intake gasket set. By the way, this is the exact recommendation on Fords TSB. Replace all 6 plugs, coils, intake gaskets, and use new updated PCM.

I order a guaranteed used PCM from a reputable salvage yard in Minnesota.

Business travel takes me away for a week, and when I return, my parts are delivered to my home.

Phone rings shortly after, and it is a friend of a friend, who is the local Ford dealer's parts manager.

He tells me he became aware of my problem because of a conversation he had with our mutual friend.

He tells me that the dealership (the one he works for) lied to me, and that this problem is rampant with many models, especially the Escape, with the Edge being 2nd most common.

He tells me that Ford has a redesigned PCM that is better than the first, and recommends I order it if I can afford it (so I do).

I install the plugs, coils, and intake, and wait for the PCM to arrive.

In the meantime, Ford parts guy slips my buddy a copy of the TSB, and begs us not to use his name, as he does not want to have his boss come down on hime for letting the cat out of the bag. He tells me that everyone on staff is trained to say they never heard of this problem.

I pay for the new PCM, tow the car to the dealer, and they flash it for $100

When I show the service manager the TSB, he states he knew nothing (which I know to likely be a lie, based on parts guys story), and they will not help me with warranty reimbursement claim.

*I am only looking to be paid my out of pocket on the parts only. Not looking for towing, down time, or labor then, or now.

I call Ford's 1800 number, and chick tells me that the TSB is wrong, and the conversation stating no warranty trumps the written warranty information on the TSB.

Now, I am pissed, and decide that I will not stay quiet, and let them do it to someone else, if I can help it.

Ā 

That's my novel.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Thanks for the story. I have to get the car to the dealer today. This will help to back up the problem. I know someone at a different dealership as well. He is a fleet manager. I haven't talked to him in a while so I am reluctant to call him. I want to take it to the dealer that i bought it from and have had the car serviced. If i get any bull I'll call.

Unlike some, I don't have the money to fix it then fight it. My dealer said the coils are not covered and a car was in with 66,000 miles and was not covered and cost $5800 to fix. It belonged to a friend of the service advisor, Must be bull. Also said the cat will have to be replaced.

Thanks for the story. I have to get the car to the dealer today. This will help to back up the problem. I know someone at a different dealership as well. He is a fleet manager. I haven't talked to him in a while so I am reluctant to call him. I want to take it to the dealer that i bought it from and have had the car serviced. If i get any bull I'll call.

Unlike some, I don't have the money to fix it then fight it. My dealer said the coils are not covered and a car was in with 66,000 miles and was not covered and cost $5800 to fix. It belonged to a friend of the service advisor, Must be bull. Also said the cat will have to be replaced.

Ā 

I dont know where they came up with that number.

Labor for everything is less than 4 hours (2 hours for parts replacement, 1.5 hours to reprogram pcm and key remote)

I spent $60 each for the coil packs, so even if Ford doubles that for list price, it is $720 or so for coils.

List on the PCM is over $1,000

Plugs $10 a piece (list price).

Ā 

Where is the other $3600 coming from? That is a lot of money to install a cat.

Pictures are important too. If you repair this yourself, make sure your date and timestamp on the camera is properly set, and snap pics of every step of the process. Do not give up your origional receipts also.

Edited by Pete K

Ā 

If you pay for it out of pocket, just be sure to do it as per the TSB.

You may be able to afford to fight it.

Ā 

My attorney is charging me $100 to prepare the letter, and paperwork.

Because it is under $5000, it is best fought in small claims court.

It will cost me $65 to file the papers at the local magistrate (Pennsylvania).

It will then be my choice if I want to present my case myself, or bring my attorney.

If the attorney comes, it will be an additional $300 for his time.

Therefore, my fees to fight this will be either $165 or $465.

I will likely choose to go alone, making is a small gamble monetarily (and the paperwork/warranty gives me a strong case).

It is worth it to me to gamble the $165 to recoup approx $1500. Even if it isn't it is the principle of the thing.

*Remember too that you have the option of contacting the state attorney general, if you feel as strongly about it as I do.

I may very well wind up losing this fight, but I dont care. Gotta do what I feel is correct.

If you pay for it out of pocket, just be sure to do it as per the TSB.

You may be able to afford to fight it.

Ā 

My attorney is charging me $100 to prepare the letter, and paperwork.

Because it is under $5000, it is best fought in small claims court.

It will cost me $65 to file the papers at the local magistrate (Pennsylvania).

It will then be my choice if I want to present my case myself, or bring my attorney.

If the attorney comes, it will be an additional $300 for his time.

Therefore, my fees to fight this will be either $165 or $465.

I will likely choose to go alone, making is a small gamble monetarily (and the paperwork/warranty gives me a strong case).

It is worth it to me to gamble the $165 to recoup approx $1500. Even if it isn't it is the principle of the thing.

*Remember too that you have the option of contacting the state attorney general, if you feel as strongly about it as I do.

I may very well wind up losing this fight, but I dont care. Gotta do what I feel is correct.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The attorney is affordable.I can't have the car not work. I'm capable of fixing it myself. That will save me money.

I'll have to tow the car there. They have to diagnose it for $95an hour. I'll only pay for an hour. Then I'll see what they say. I may have to tow it home. And back to flash the pcm. It doesn't make sense to not cover this problem. Cars these days don't work without a computer. They can't expect a consumer to spend $30,000 for a car then spend thousands to fix a computer problem

The attorney is affordable.I can't have the car not work. I'm capable of fixing it myself. That will save me money.

I'll have to tow the car there. They have to diagnose it for $95an hour. I'll only pay for an hour. Then I'll see what they say. I may have to tow it home. And back to flash the pcm. It doesn't make sense to not cover this problem. Cars these days don't work without a computer. They can't expect a consumer to spend $30,000 for a car then spend thousands to fix a computer problem

Ā 

When you are ready to do the work, don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions. I have a ton of pictures, and am aware of the hidden clips, bolts etc.

Ā 

If anyone wants to see how widespread this problem is (with all of the Ford models affected)

Google Ford Edge PCM Failure.

It is amazing how big it is, and how many people are out of pocket on a product/design shortcoming.

Sounds like the dealer screwed you, not Ford. If you have the TSB and proof they said it wasn't covered by the emissions warranty then you should have an open and shut small claims case against the dealer.

Ā 

Ford is totally dependent on the dealer's diagnosis and in this case there is no way for them to determine whether the problem was the PCM per the TSB or not.

Ā 

Again - the TSB doesn't change the warranty - it's just saying that the PCM is covered by either the bumper to bumper or the emissions warranty.

Ā 

Had your dealer confirmed a bad PCM I believe Ford would have repaired it under warranty. If you have the original parts you could see if another Ford dealer could help you before resorting to a lawsuit.

Sounds like the dealer screwed you, not Ford. If you have the TSB and proof they said it wasn't covered by the emissions warranty then you should have an open and shut small claims case against the dealer.

Ā 

Ford is totally dependent on the dealer's diagnosis and in this case there is no way for them to determine whether the problem was the PCM per the TSB or not.

Ā 

Again - the TSB doesn't change the warranty - it's just saying that the PCM is covered by either the bumper to bumper or the emissions warranty.

Ā 

Had your dealer confirmed a bad PCM I believe Ford would have repaired it under warranty. If you have the original parts you could see if another Ford dealer could help you before resorting to a lawsuit.

Ā 

Dealer took a firm stance that it was not under warranty, once they knew about the odometer reading being over 36,000 miles.

So I agree with you there.

Sadly, when I disputed it with the 1800 customer service number, and they took an even more firm stance that I was not getting a dime from them.

What is unfortunatate for me is that I did not buy the vehicle new anywhere near my home.

If you dont buy it there, the small dealers are reluctant to go the distance for you.

Once I had a clear understanding from both the dealer and Ford that I would have to fight hard (legally), the priority became to fix my vehicle, as I (like most of the world) cannot function without it.

You continue to imply that had I given them opportunity, they would have done the right thing. I believe they know what they are doing, and used their upper hand to squeeze me out.

THEY STILL HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO DO THE RIGHT THING! Re-imburse my out of pocket costs.

(The line above is directed at any potential Ford representative that may be reading this thread).

They flat out refused to help, unless I wrote a check. See the dilema?

Leaving the car on jaclstands longer than the 3 weeks I already did wasnt an option.

Edited by Pete K

Remember too that I am prepared to lose, if the judge says so.

As far as dealer vs Ford being responsible, I am leaving who's name goes on the paper to the attorney. He will decide what the right option is.

Ā 

I am a technical specialist for a 400 million dollar a year company. Proper complant protocol, diagnosis and resolution is what I do during the day, so I am well aware of corporate (big or small) dispute tactics.

I am very proud of my company, as they always try to do the right thing by the customer, and (even if no liability) help with resolution. Even if this is only reduced pricing.

My training requires that the first 5 words out of my mouth are: "How can I help you"?

Can you guess what level of pricing my local dealer offered?

Yup, list price.

Ā 

****My goal is to educate future victims. Even if I am somehow dead wrong, this thread can help others to avoid my (or Fords) mistakes.

Ā 

Also, I do appreciate anyones point, or counterpoint, so please continue to post on this thread.

More posts=Higher traffic, thus moving this up on any search engine.

Edited by Pete K

My only issue is your assertion that Ford is purposely denying a claim that they know is valid. I don't believe that because they have fixed others and covered it under the emissions warranty with no questions asked. It's all in how the dealer presents it to Ford.

Ā 

All Ford sees is that you replaced some parts on your own and you don't have a dealer standing up for you saying that it was the PCM that was bad in the first place and that all the coils had to be replaced. You don't have a Ford dealer diagnosis that says the PCM is bad. Ford's position on this is understandable given the circumstances.

Ā 

I'm not blaming you because you checked with the dealer. I'm blaming the dealer and that's who I think you should sue IF you have the evidence of what they told you.