Rubber or vinyl floor and cargo compartment mats

Thanks for all the responses. Weathertech it will be!!!

Paul

I like the Hexomats at AutoAnyhting.com

Rubber is MUCH better than vinyl!! Vinyl scuffs and discolors, especially in tan. As a former dealer, I swear from experience by rubber over vinyl.

Vinyl eventually looks extremely dirty from marks and stains. Nothing you can do to ever make them look good again. Rubber is a solid core product and lasts longer. I always go with Black Hexomats. We abuse the crap out of them and they clean with nothing but water and a brush, no soap. They look 100% brand new even after a year in our 4x4. I have the same color interior as you, and the black looks excellent.

Hexomats are super thick, heavy duty, I'd say commercial grade. I have them in our 2007 BMW and our other luxury vehicles. No matter how high-end the vehicle, the black Hexo has always looked perfect.

Here is why I don't like Weathertech: They "lip" up the walls of the car, floppity. They flop all over, things fall behind the edges. They catch on shoes and I think in general, the mats look cheesy. They are fine for a farm truck with lots of slop, snow and mud, but an urban vehicle?

Here's why I hate Vinyl: Colored vinyl mats have large surface areas, flat plateaus, whereas the Hexo have tiny ridges where the shoe meets the mat. Typical large surface area mats then have a huge contact area to scuff, and collect large patches of dirt. Hexo breaks dirt into each of the hexagons. Essentially making it very difficult to compact dirt because your shoe cannot smash into the hexagon pattern. Your show stays on the ridges. Since there is only a lot of small ridges meeting your shoe, there is very little to WEAR out. Most of the surface is at the bottom of each and every hexagon, where you can't touch. They vacuum out really easily.

Edited by CliffsEdge

• 2 weeks later...
Another vote for Weathertech. I have mats for the front and back seating area. They fit perfectly and are a breeze to hose off.

I purchased weathertech floor mats for my 07 Edge and called Mats for less today to return them. The rib on the mat does not go all the way around the perimeter. The end result is water from snow is directed off of the mat onto the carpet.

Major disapointment.

The kind people at Mats for less have declined my request for return and I will no be forced to contact my credit card company.

The link to the Weathertech mat says the following.

"Each floor mat features extra-high ribs and side guards, allowing them to hold a large amount of water, snow, mud, leaves and other debris."

If you look at the website, the "Rib" that is described only covers the lower half of the mat. Excess water is then, via the "Rib" directed away from the mat and onto the carpet.

Yeah, I noticed the same problem with those mats, my carpet was always wet under the mat

Just my take. but when it's really snow sloppy and wet here in the Midwest, the morning Chicago Tribune-all six sections- work better than any mat I ever owned! I just slip them under the WeatherTech and then replace another Tribune the next day. $90 and the mats are OK, but not in sloppy snowy weather.

Yeah, I noticed the same problem with those mats, my carpet was always wet under the mat

Just my take. but when it's really snow sloppy and wet here in the Midwest, the morning Chicago Tribune-all six sections- work better than any mat I ever owned! I just slip them under the WeatherTech and then replace another Tribune the next day. $90 and the mats are OK, but not in sloppy snowy weather.

Given the fact that there may be problems with some of the after-market mats, has anyone purchased the OEM mats and cargo liners from Ford? If so, are you happy with them?

Given the fact that there may be problems with some of the after-market mats, has anyone purchased the OEM mats and cargo liners from Ford? If so, are you happy with them?

I have the Ford Edge Factory all weather mats, and I really like them so far. I ordered them as an option when I ordered the car, so they were right on the Window Sticker. I just ordered the Ford Cargo Mat here at the Ford Dealer I work at today, so I can't really comment on that yet.

I have the Ford Edge Factory all weather mats, and I really like them so far. I ordered them as an option when I ordered the car, so they were right on the Window Sticker. I just ordered the Ford Cargo Mat here at the Ford Dealer I work at today, so I can't really comment on that yet.

Thanks. Please post your thoughts on the mat when it arrives.

I have the Ford Edge factory Mats as well and I have the Cargo Mat Also. I like them, However they don't cover as well as Weathertech Mats. I say that but I have never had Weathertech in my Edge. I have owned them in other vehicles and I liked them.

I must agree that My preference is Rubber and Not vinyl. I sell Asphalt Plant Equipment and have dirty feet all the time. The light Gray Weathertech I had in the Escape were always Dingy! Tried to clean them with WD40, It removed the asphalt but it was still stained.

My interior is Black so the Black Mats work good for me. I am not sure I would want black on Tan, but thats only my opinion.

I have the Ford Edge factory Mats as well and I have the Cargo Mat Also. I like them, However they don't cover as well as Weathertech Mats. I say that but I have never had Weathertech in my Edge. I have owned them in other vehicles and I liked them.

I must agree that My preference is Rubber and Not vinyl. I sell Asphalt Plant Equipment and have dirty feet all the time. The light Gray Weathertech I had in the Escape were always Dingy! Tried to clean them with WD40, It removed the asphalt but it was still stained.

My interior is Black so the Black Mats work good for me. I am not sure I would want black on Tan, but thats only my opinion.

Thanks for your comments. Our Edge has a tan interior but I don't think the black mats would look badly with it. On the other hand, our dirt / sand in West Texas is light in color and would show more against black mats. We don't get much rain so the issue with water going under the Weathertechs wouldn't be much of a factor. There was a line of rubber mats on the thread and one of the few negatives about them seemed to be the smell although it wasn't mentioned how long the odor lingered after purchase. Anything will handle the occasional rainy day better than carpet.

WARNING FOR EDGE OWNERS WITH CAMEL (TAN) INTERIOR

I received my WeatherTech "Tan" floor liners this morning, and they are BROWN, not tan. Despite the photos on their website, and even the photo on the box it is delivered in, the color is no where close to camel, sand, tan, etc.

I contacted WeatherTech directly (as they were the ones that drop-shipped them to me) but their customer service was standoffish and less than helpful (I just wanted to swap them for black).

The only saving grace was that I purchased them via AUTOANYTHING, and with their clout, they were able to expedite an exchange.

Kyle

I agree about the Ford mats and how nice they are. I feel that if I were to lay an object a bit heavy or with a small point, the Ford cargo mat will not hold up. It does fit extremely well though with a small lip on it. All black interior for mine and I like that it doesn't show any additional staining.

I agree about the Ford mats and how nice they are. I feel that if I were to lay an object a bit heavy or with a small point, the Ford cargo mat will not hold up. It does fit extremely well though with a small lip on it. All black interior for mine and I like that it doesn't show any additional staining.

That's unfortunate. I bought the Ford rear bumper protector and was not overly impressed with it's thickness even though it does provide protection. The Web sites for online purchasing have photos but they really don't give enough detail to accurately see what you're getting. Based on what you're saying, I might end up getting Ford floor mats and somebody else's cargo mat. My wife and I are in a bagpipe band and we have our drum cases and other junk back there which won't be all that heavy. Still, I would like what ever I buy to be fairly substantial.

• 3 weeks later...
WARNING FOR EDGE OWNERS WITH CAMEL (TAN) INTERIOR

I received my WeatherTech "Tan" floor liners this morning, and they are BROWN, not tan. Despite the photos on their website, and even the photo on the box it is delivered in, the color is no where close to camel, sand, tan, etc.

I just made this same mistake and the mats look awful. They have black, grey and tan options. I have Camel, stone and Charcol accents in my car. Therefore, none of the colors seem to work for me. I don't weant to add another color with black...

I don't think the OEM mats offer anything other than black either.

What to do...

B

I can't seem to find out.. are the Ford mats a set of 4 for front and back, or just 2 for front? Also, I cannot even find a nice photo of the Ford ones... can someone post a photo of the Ford ones or point me to where they are online - a good full photo that is.

As for cargo liners.. weathertech is the ONLY way to go. they last, thick, strong and awesome. I love mine in my VW and will put one in my Edge.

UPDATE: see my gallery for my installed Weathertech cargo mat and OEM rubber all weather Ford Edge floor mats mentioned here

Edited by Lex Talionis

I can't seem to find out.. are the Ford mats a set of 4 for front and back, or just 2 for front? Also, I cannot even find a nice photo of the Ford ones... can someone post a photo of the Ford ones or point me to where they are online - a good full photo that is.

As for cargo liners.. weathertech is the ONLY way to go. they last, thick, strong and awesome. I love mine in my VW and will put one in my Edge.

The Ford all weather mats are really nice. They have Edge embossed in them too. They are very thick and they look like they will last for a long time. There are 3 mats, 2 front ones and one for the rear that goes all the way across the rear floor. Sorry, no photos ....

Dom

The Ford all weather mats are really nice. They have Edge embossed in them too. They are very thick and they look like they will last for a long time. There are 3 mats, 2 front ones and one for the rear that goes all the way across the rear floor. Sorry, no photos ....

Dom

I agree with Dom ... I have the Ford Edge all-weather winter mats. They are very substantial, fit perfectly, and look like they will last for many seasons. I have a black interior, with black mats.

• 3 years later...

I bought the Ford Edge rubber mats from the local dealer on the same day as the 1000 mile service in April 2009. The driver's side has already worn through. I called the dealer and was told that they are considered a "wear item." Maybe I have a heavy heal? Hard to recommend them after only 2 years.

Edited by tloewenberg