Need Help ASAP, New 2011 Edge Limited Paint, Ford Experts

nklemens

Folks,

I need some help. My parents, in their 70's just traded bought a leftover 2011 Edge Limited. They picked it up Friday. It was a demo with just under 2K miles. Every Option. UA (Ebony black) on Black leather.

I drove down to teach them the Ford Mytouch today. They bought it in the rain. Anyway I washed it and dried it and was shocked!

The UA ebony is basic black with no metallic at all (like Tuxedo black) at least i thought. But the darn car has the following:

Black front bumper, Mirrors, Rear quarters and rear end (no metallic at all). A hint of metallic in the hood (just a touch) more on the right, and the fenders have much more metallic that fades down the side to the black quarters. The Right

I looked over every inch to see if any paint work had been done and the car is flawless. There is not a nick, scratch, dust particle it is perfect.

passenger side has metallic on the windshield pillar and fades to the read quarter above the windows.

On the drivers side the pillar is very faint and from the top of the drivers window back, there is no metallic.

Every panel has the factory VIN on it, there is not any sign that it has been repainted. The jams are all UA no metallic Black. Under the hood, the uncleared inner fenders appear to have Metallic as well.

Could this be a FORD screw up. If Tuxedo Black metallic was a 100 (for the quantity of Metallic) The body would be the following Hood 10, Passenger Fender 20, Passenger front door 15, Passenger Rear Door a 10, Rear Quarter a Zero, Drivers fender is a 17, drivers door a 12, drivers rear a 5 and quarter a Zero. Front Bumper Zero.

I am going to call the dealership for them tomorrow and complain. Has anyone seen this before! I have an 07 Freestyle and was not impressed with Fords Painting Quality. Simply could they have not cleaned the gun of Tuxedo Black before spraying this car? Again, there is not a mark on it, no overspray anywhere, even under the windshield rubbers, no screw have been touched anywhere, this appears to be factory. I have photos I will post later.

Anyone please Help ASAP.

I have to say, what a great car. Driving it today I was amazed. The active cruise control is absolutely amazing. The Mytouch worked flawlessly. The Stereo is the best I have ever heard in a car. I loved it. I would buy one for myself soon I think. I have contacted Ford. We'll see if they reply. Maybe a Friday or Monday car?

Could just be me or the lighting but that doesn't look like Tuxedo Black to me - it looks like contamination. Have you compared it to a Tuxedo Black and Ebony vehicle side by side?

I agree. The metallic in Tuxedo Black is way finer and more uniform. Here's a picture from another of my threads, showing my point.

DSC_5884.jpg

All I see is contamination and orange peel.

yes. I took it and put it right beside a tuxedo black yesterday and a UA black too. the tuxedo has about 70-80% more metallic in it than the front. 100% more than the back. I too know refinish work. I cannot find any evidence of it. I am calling the dealer shortly.

I must say I like the color. the little bit of metallic sets the black off nicely. It can never be matched though. any touch ups would be metallicless look bad.

My parents do not care, but I know it will get a ding or too over it's life. Thanks for all the comments.