...short supply for EDGE on 2008...

svofan1

I hear from other forums that the EDGE 2008 Limited is really going to be limited.....the SYNC is in short supply and since the LIMITED will have as standard item soooo...the Limiteds will be in short supply....I am planning on ordering one towards the end of the year so it coincides with the termination of my 05 Expedition. Anyone has any ideas on this subject,like how soon should I place an order..etc?...

Thanks for any help

Here are some of the things we know today:

Oakville has no downtime planned thru September.

The last '07 Edge units will be produced 9/14.

Production of '08's is currently being scheduled for the week of 9/17.

Roof, 20" wheels, SYNC and Limited are high risk.

I have not heard of any projected release dates for the high risk call on these commodities.

I would put in my order with the options I wanted very soon. Once it gets scheduled you will have several weeks to plan your turn in. If the commodities do not free up, you can begin a search for a stock unit that matches your specs in your greater market area. I would ask for a high priority - 10 to 15 and hope they don't put in a later order with a higher priority.

I have not heard of any projected release dates for the high risk call on these commodities.

I would put in my order with the options I wanted very soon. Once it gets scheduled you will have several weeks to plan your turn in. If the commodities do not free up, you can begin a search for a stock unit that matches your specs in your greater market area. I would ask for a high priority - 10 to 15 and hope they don't put in a later order with a higher priority.

Thanks a lot, I will be talking with the owners of a dealership that I do business with and know well.

My problem is timing, I will try to time the 08 arrival with termination of my 05 Expedition lease (April 08), I am even willing to take a hit with a month or so since my monthly payment is very low. Any suggestions on this matter will be greatly appreciated...like based on my time table when should I place the order?...thanks again

.."high risk" means that instead of lets say 8 weeks one has to wait 12 or 16 weeks before delivery?.....

or should I order towards the end of the year instead of lets say september?....please..I need some directions here from those that really know how the system works...thanks a million to all...

Since you are looking at April of '08, talk to your dealer and hold off for a month or two, if they agree. They will know better what their allocation is and the priority they will need to put on your order to have it for you in April. I'm sure Ford is working with suppliers to crank up the supply on the wheels, SYNC, BAMR, etc. By Dec. those commocity issues may be a thing of the past (or heads will roll.)

The product managers generally have a pretty good feel for the take rate on new options and suppliers gear up for a certain annual volume. When a vehicle option is new, dealers and customers (early adopters) tend to upfront load the volumn of orders, at the same time suppliers are just getting up to speed on production. At the end of the model year, the take rate guesstamate was right on, just the calendatization was off due to the front loading. It's much better that it used to be but still not perfect.

Since you are looking at April of '08, talk to your dealer and hold off for a month or two, if they agree. They will know better what their allocation is and the priority they will need to put on your order to have it for you in April. I'm sure Ford is working with suppliers to crank up the supply on the wheels, SYNC, BAMR, etc. By Dec. those commocity issues may be a thing of the past (or heads will roll.)

The product managers generally have a pretty good feel for the take rate on new options and suppliers gear up for a certain annual volume. When a vehicle option is new, dealers and customers (early adopters) tend to upfront load the volumn of orders, at the same time suppliers are just getting up to speed on production. At the end of the model year, the take rate guesstamate was right on, just the calendatization was off due to the front loading. It's much better that it used to be but still not perfect.

Thnk you, I think that if I placed the order bylate Nov or early dec I might be ok for the late March April date...I fully understodd your explanation and the dealer that I work with (friends are the owners) will work with me as well as anybody ordering a car since it is done in a timely manner ...

So how does it look for those of us that ordered at the end of July? I've ordered a white AWD Limite, with BAMR, 20's but no Nav?

There are too many variables to guess where you are in the sequencing. If your order was put in as retial, with a high priority and the dealership has allocation you might get scheduled. Follow with your dealership on Fridays to see if Ford has done anything with your order. All the updating for production happens Thru. evening.

High risk doesn't mean it won't be built, just that 60-70% of the orders will likely be pushed back until commodities are received. If they absolutely could not build vehicles with a specific option, they would generally place a hold on all orders with that option and advise dealers to cancel, change or wait and re-input that vehicle later when the hold was lifted. I have not heard that Ford has said this on any of your options.

Retail orders should be scheduled before stock orders and a 10 priority should be scheduled before a 30, all other things being equal and dealership allocation is available.

The first weeks production should be lined up now. Perhaps an insider will let us know if any of the Limited's, SYNC's, BAMR's and 20's are going out the door by the end of Sept.

Planning on keeping mine for ever and maybe buy the taurusX or the flex in 09

I thought about waiting for the Flex, but when I did the "build - it" and saw the pricing, I decided not to wait and bought the MKX (actually a two year lease). If it turns out to be well worth the money I will reconsider the Flex at the end of the lease.

So how does it look for those of us that ordered at the end of July? I've ordered a white AWD Limite, with BAMR, 20's but no Nav?

I ordered a 2008 white limited with SYNC and 20"wheels on Wednesday Aug. 29 and my dealer already has a serial number for the production of the vehicle.

when I spoke with my dealer, he said that he doesn't have the order info yet for the 2008 and there is no build option for the 2008 on the ford website, so how do you know the pricing? I want to trade up from my 2003 t-bird (which I love, but need more room, so...)

This is what was posted in EDMONDS by someone who appears to be a ford salesperson....I wonder if there is any validity to his comments......

"If you want a LIMITED, ORDER IT EARLY. Synch is standard and Synch is in limited availability!. (thats a whole other rant) "

Does this mean that at one point the SYNC option may disappear from the LIMITED?....

This is what was posted in EDMONDS by someone who appears to be a ford salesperson....I wonder if there is any validity to his comments......

"If you want a LIMITED, ORDER IT EARLY. Synch is standard and Synch is in limited availability!. (thats a whole other rant) "

Does this mean that at one point the SYNC option may disappear from the LIMITED?....

My guess is it means they may on have say 1000 Sync units on hand with additional inventory not expected until later in the year. So the first 1000 Limiteds will have Sync. After that they made be delayed until additional Sync inventory arrives.

• 2 weeks later...
My guess is it means they may on have say 1000 Sync units on hand with additional inventory not expected until later in the year. So the first 1000 Limiteds will have Sync. After that they made be delayed until additional Sync inventory arrives.

Ugh. This sounds scary. I want to order the 08 white also. I've been on this site a while, and know almost everything there is to know about an Edge, except I dont own one yet...lol

I had a house to sell, and also been waiting around on the 08's. Now, I am worried that the SYNC will run out before I get to order. Hope not. That is one of the reasons I was waiting for the 08 models..

:stats:

What did it say? You want it, you better order early? Who said it? Maybe a Salesman? Oh yea right, I believe every word from those people, Gee I better rush right down and get my order in now, they only are making 1000 of them.

That's how a rumor gets started and how info gets twisted. People Sync, (even the salesidiot couldn't spell it right) is going into 5+ different vehicles. If every Edge was ordered with it, every edge would also have it. Just in time inventory. When you get a new Edge, start looking at labels that are placed on different components in it. You will probably see dates that are within 2 weeks of when yours was built. Factories are humming along, they don't just start up last year, make a years worth of parts then shutoff. It's taking about 6 weeks from the time you place an order til it arrives.

Calmly walk into a dealership and say, Hi there, can I order me one of them thar cars!

I have a 2008 Edge Limited ordered. Was told by a Ford employee that their company supplied 2008 Edge Limited order is on hold until November because of Sync supply issues. That said my dealer tells me my Edge is scheduled to be built the week of Sept 24th and that he has had no advice about Sync being deleted. Generally retail orders have priority over dealer stock and company employee orders.