Does PRNDL panel light when instrument panel lights are activated?

It seems unusual, but on my Edge the PRNDL panel next to gearshift does not light when the instrument panel lights are activated.

It makes makes operating the vehicle at night a challenge. The dome lights must be turned on to see what gear the vehicle is in.

Have any of you experienced this?

• Like 2

The PRNDL strip light up on my Edge....gets brighter or dimmer, with however you set the instrument panel lights at.....someone must have forgot to connect a wire or something....and, it lit up on the two Edges I test drove as well........................

Edited by 7

Thanks.

I had a 1969 Cougar XR7 with the shifter in the same location as the Edge.

That panel was illuminated with the instrument cluster.

I have been driving manual transmission Ford products (2 ford Probes). And one Explorer with the automatic shifter on the tree.

I was quite surprised to see no light in that panel on the Edge.

I had a '72 Cougar XR7 convertible...351C-2V engine....Ginger Metallic with White Leather interior, and a white top....it was SWEET.....everything lit up on that....it was totaled in 1986 by some asshole who hit it in front of my house...the force drove it into a telephone pole, and bent the poor thing in half....not my best time....everything had worked perfectly on that baby, even the sequencial turn signals.....

I checked with the Service Manager at the local Ford Dealer and he said the PRNDL strip and gear indicator light up when the headlight switch is activated or the Autolamp activates the headlights (at least on the SEL model he tested).

Enough said on this topic!

I checked with the Service Manager at the local Ford Dealer and he said the PRNDL strip and gear indicator light up when the headlight switch is activated or the Autolamp activates the headlights (at least on the SEL model he tested).

Enough said on this topic!

Please report back after you get yours fixed!

All fixed.

The Service Manager did the fix. It just took a few minutes.

OK, I admit I was skeptical of this, So tonight I broke my console apart. It's easy to pry the plastic pieces up and away from the console. You will need a 5/16" socket and at least a 6 in. extension. When I got the light strip away from the PRNDL indicator, I looked it over. The photo on the right is looking at the light strip from the bottom. Other than that, it's just a strip of glass. I tried everything I could to see if all connections were correct. I've notified my dealer about him getting me a new one. Thanks for the heads up on this.

All this time I figured it was a cost savings move on Ford's part. Guess it actually was, hope they got these defective light strips at 1/2 off.

post-1037-1188610091_thumb.jpg post-1037-1188610110_thumb.jpg post-1037-1188610125_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Glad to be of help 07 MKX.

Nice photographs of the gear selector module and the light panel.

The service manager said all he had to do was plug the panel in. There was no defect, just overlooked during assembly or not properly plugged in...was his guess.

With that panel lit it makes it a lot easier to maneuver the vehicle when parking at night!

Please update when the cause of your outage is determined by the service technician.

Hope you get light soon!

We in my family are known for playing with words a lot.

We often call this the "pirndle stick". lol. (PRNDL = pirndle.... surely some will see the humor)

At any rate, I was thinking about this thread at the car wash today.

I've been much amused by my new auto-light option and leave them there anymore.

So beneath the bay it was dark enough to activate the lights... and I was happy to see the letters glowing nicely! :happy feet:

This forum is an excellent place to be enlightened of a possible issue one may not have even thought about.

Thanx all :D

That is exactly what it is known by and called in the factory, Prindle is how it's pronounced. I couldn't see any other connection as to where it may not be plugged in at. Believe me that was what I was hoping to find.

One thing that struck me as I was doing all this work. The Lincoln was in the garage, but I was listening to Sirius all the time. The Garage door was open and it faces to the east. On yea, the Lincoln uses all white lights. I noticed the Edge has green dash lights, I suppose, all of the consoles will be white underneath, to show the red indicator.

What upsets me, is the dealership letting it go out the door this way. I guess it's an easy item to overlook. Especially in the daytime.

For the auto-lamps, have you noticed when you go under an overpass how sensitive they are,, usually before I get out the other side of a 4-6 lane overpass, the Lamps are already on... that must look weird for someone following to see, - your tail lamps coming on then going off, quickly.

You are right on the pronunciation...I mis-remembered.

Did some of the earlier Ford products let you adjust the sensitivity of the auto-lamp feature?

I too have noticed that they trigger quickly on the Edge.

Yes, it upset me too that the dealer did not catch this while preparing it for delivery after purchase.

While I was having my Edge fixed my salesman was delivering a MKX to another customer. I walked out to the delivery area to talk to him and noticed that the 2 of the back-up LED's were not functioning on the left rear of the MKX. He was kind of surprised himself (he did not notice it) and then told the new owner the MKX needed to be looked at by the Service department.

You would think that they would check these things over more carefully...

Edited by Edgepa

No wonder the dealerships are killing Ford. I drop off the vechile tonight to have the PRNDL light fixed and I get a reply back after 2 hours that they have to order the complete shifter assembly. I ask the service manager if the mechanic checked the bulb. He says he didn't know, but we can talk to the mechanic. I find out he didn't check it. So there I am showing him HOW to find the bulb. We disconnect the bulb, and the power lead does have juice. But instead of them ordering/installing just a new bulb, the mechanic tells me, it comes as a complete package. And that it's better to just order the whole shifter assembly. Unbelievable, WHATEVER! I just want it fixed.

Next I tell them to also get me the door pull pads and have to show them what they are. We look in 10 Edge's and some are laying loose in the coin tray, some still in the plastic package, and some were missing them. I asked, "Were these already prepped?" and the reply was yes. They would order mine.

The real kicker? I had made appointments & I take 2 vehicles in YESTERDAY for service work. I had a recall on an '05 Escape Hybrid battery, something about a resistor needing replacement. They can't work on the Lincoln, but take the Escape. He tells me TODAY, when I take the Lincoln back for the light, that they had to order (2) kinds of special gloves before they could begin work on the Escape. That would take about 5 days til they get them. My guess is, once they get the battery pak out, they will realize then, that they need to order the replacement parts. I Loved the look of the service managers jaw dropping, when I told him, he could bring me 2 loaners as both the Wife & I would be driving them, while our vehicles sit waiting for them to get their act together. I calmed down and drove the Lincoln home.

How am I ever going to be able to drive the MKX if I can't tell what gear the tiptronic is in? And all this time, we were in jeopardy of damaged fingernails, without those pull pads.

:banghead:

WOW! I am PISSED!

Check yours and report back...thes is MESSED UP! Man, am I MAD!

lol

Sorry to hear you had such a tough time getting warranty service on your vehicle.

If he had a new MKX on the lot with an interior like your vehicle has - he could have pulled the gear selector box (with a working panel) out of it and swapped it for yours. I have known service managers to do that...

Hope all goes quickly!

Sorry to hear you had such a tough time getting warranty service on your vehicle.

If he had a new MKX on the lot with an interior like your vehicle has - he could have pulled the gear selector box (with a working panel) out of it and swapped it for yours. I have known service managers to do that...

Hope all goes quickly!

Pull Pads?..what the heck are they?...where are they loacted?...doors handles?....

• 1 year later...