Silver interior door handle molding? (Pics of 3D Noc Carbon)

DmitrySychev

2011 and up edges.

Has anyone taken the silver molding off on their edges?

The upper portion comes out very easily, but the bottom is much more difficult. I've taken the window switch out and I'm still unable to figure it out.

I'm covering all of that trim in 3d carbon. So far the center console molding is done, as well as the upper door handle molding. I wasn't sure if it will look too cheesy, but it surpassed my expectations.

Any help is appreciated.

post-22326-0-65576200-1336960800_thumb.jpg

post-22326-0-83147000-1337027263_thumb.jpg

post-22326-0-96277500-1337027315_thumb.jpg

Edited by DmitrySychev

Thanks for the compliment!

This is the stuff I got. http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1497.l2649 It's 3M GLOSS Black Di-NOC Carbon Fiber. Looks really nice in person and has a nice textured feel.

If you're thinking of doing it, that 12x48" sheet is more than enough to cover all of the silver trim except for the steering wheel. A heat gun or a blow dryer is an absolute must. What's nice is when you heat it up to work with it, it doesn’t deform or stretch in any way that ruins the pattern.

As for the trim I couldn't take off in the pictures, it seems there's no way to take it off without taking the door panel off. I think I'll just try to apply the vinyl with the trim pieces on the car. Don’t really have the time to take the whole door panel off.

Edited by DmitrySychev

So far, I've used the 3m gloss black Di-Noc on each side of the center stack and on the trim piece located above the glove box. It looks awesome. Now I need to figure out how to remove the two trim pieces (same color as above the glove box) on each side of inst. panel. Looks like you have to remove trim around 'Start' button to get to the piece above it that I want to cover with carbon fiber. Worked on this for awhile but gave up before I broke something. I moved over to the left side and tried to remove the panel that has 3 switches in it so I could get to the piece above it that I wanted to cover. Gave up on that side also. Anyone with tips on how to remove these trim pieces? I sure would appreciate it.

Edited by cozzz

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same situation (2013 Limited; Ruby Red) - don't like the silver so I decided to go with a matte black vinyl. What I have done isn't perfect, but I think it's so much better than the cheesy silver look.

Managed to do the same amount as Dmitry as far as parts that I could easily remove for wrapping. Also tried to do one of the lower pieces in place, but wasn't very happy with the results, so I left it factory for now. Would also like to know if anyone finds a way of taking those pieces out without tearing the door apart.

I was also thinking about the silver steering shroud, so I started to look into that ... until I found that the switches themselves are snapped into plastic clips on the back of the shroud. I would have thought that the switches would be attached to the wheel itself and the shroud just went over everything. Wishful thinking on my part. Don't think I want to go there...

Bought the grille insert kit and having it painted Tuxedo Black. Hopefully will have it installed soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Im still looking icee.

I took my car to a friends body shop and we tried to poke around. It looks like the lower portion of the door trim is glued in. Doesn't seem to be an easy way of removing it. So I will try to do it without taking it off.

As for the steering wheel. I'm trying to do the same thing. I remember seeing a service manual on how to take the trim off. I think even though the switches are attached to the trim, they are fairly easy to remove.

Great - if you happen to find a solution for the door panels, please post back. I'll do the same.

I'm tempted to buy a replacement steering wheel cover and see how the wrap looks. From there, find the time to dig into doing a swap. Haven't had much free time lately ...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The wrap wasn't too difficult, but a few things to consider:

- if you've never used a wrap before, you may screw things up the first time when doing something with complex curves. Make sure you have extra wrap available.

- it's suggested to use an alcohol / water mix to clean the surface before applying the wrap. One of the small silver door trim pieces I worked on seemed to lose its glossy finish while the other was okay. Because of this (and the fact that the wrap sticks really well anyways), I'd suggest being very careful when prepping the silver so that the factory finish doesn't come off. I'll probably just use a very mild soap / water mix next time.

- to keep oil from your hands off of the plastic, you can wear some type of thin gloves (latex-type exam, etc.).

- the center stack pieces have very interesting curves to work with. I ended up using a small vise and cardboard to hold the pieces in place while applying the wrap. Without a way of keeping the piece steady, you might find it to be a challenge.

- you don't need very much heat to warm up the wrap. A hair dryer works fine.

- when heating / attaching around curves, be careful with how much pressure you use with the tool. In my first attempt using a felt-edged squeegee, I found that I created small lines in the wrap on the inner curve. Probably because the wrap was stretched slightly. Second time around was easier.

- don't trim too close to the edge of a surface since cuts can expand easily when heated. Nothing like being 95% done and then seeing silver poking through...

• 5 months later...