Lincoln MKX And Ford Edge transmission Problem

metrols

Do you know if Lincoln / Ford is doing anything about the transmission problem on the MKX or the EDGE. When you are sitting on ANY incline from a driveway to a parking lot, My MKX when in drive with the engine running rolls backwards just as if it is in neutral. My dealer acts like I am retarded when I took it in. The stock answer by the dealer is "your vehicle is operating within Ford's paramitors. I have already nearly backed over a child, and almost knocked a $30,000 Harley over. I'll bet they change thier tune when one of the thousands of vehicles that has this problem finally kills some one!

Don't get me started on the back bumper I am on my 3rd one that has repeatidly warped. My MKX is black and the Houston Heat of late has wrecked havok . (the other black ones owned at the dealership have warped as well.

My wife is fit to be tied , she feels completely unsafe and fears that she might hurt someone (or worse) if it rolls backwards.

Edited by metrols

That is the one thing Ford does have to address....the roll back....I believe one of the engineers involved with the transmission posted here earlier that Ford wouldn't listen when told of the problem....the best thing to do at this point, when on an incline, is hold the brake with the left foot, and apply a little throttle with the right....I know, I know, "this shouldn't be happening, etc.", but that's the way it is for the '07 models....I consider it a minor inconvience...one has to adapt....you know about the problem, so take appropriate action. From what I understand, there is no fix for this.

It's the way the torque converter was designed and it was done for fuel efficiency.

It's certainly not any worse than a manual which is totally disengaged when stopped via the clutch.

Most automatics will roll backwards some, especially on a steep hill.

You are 100% correct ALL my Fords have done so,even my 05 Exppedition.....my 90 Toyota Corolla does it also....sooooo....I have learned to put my foot on the brake always...besides is there a warning that we drivers should use the trans or clutch when in an incline since it is detrimental to bot,trans and clutch?..I know it is an automatic tranny but I think it is the same principle....

Uhh...I really don't intend to be sarcastic, but why are you 2 expecting the engine and transmission to do the brakes' job? If you come to a stop on a uphill incline, why wouldn't you step on the brake pedal? Am I missing something?

NO.

Sometimes people want to vent more than they want an explanation. A forum is a safe place to release frustration - unfortunately it may cause others unnecessary concern. Oh well.

• 7 months later...
Do you know if Lincoln / Ford is doing anything about the transmission problem on the MKX or the EDGE. When you are sitting on ANY incline from a driveway to a parking lot, My MKX when in drive with the engine running rolls backwards just as if it is in neutral. My dealer acts like I am retarded when I took it in. The stock answer by the dealer is "your vehicle is operating within Ford's paramitors. I have already nearly backed over a child, and almost knocked a $30,000 Harley over. I'll bet they change thier tune when one of the thousands of vehicles that has this problem finally kills some one!

Don't get me started on the back bumper I am on my 3rd one that has repeatidly warped. My MKX is black and the Houston Heat of late has wrecked havok . (the other black ones owned at the dealership have warped as well.

My wife is fit to be tied , she feels completely unsafe and fears that she might hurt someone (or worse) if it rolls backwards.

it is a bit late,but we have the same rolling back problem,

which i did not noticed in the first months.

the edge is my wifes car i do not driving it very often,butnow

i have the feeling it is getting worse.

i have a 1996 jeep grand cherokee one owner never did this

kind of thing.

i had my terms with the dealer about the brakes and the pressure

system,they fixed it.it can be done.

good advice.i am doing this for 45 years,brake left.

pay more attention to the brake and the hub,if the switch is

faulty, boy they getting hot and i mean hot,do not listen

to the bullshit of close tolerances

peter in mexico

• 1 month later...
Apparently there is a reflash that fixes it slightly, available at your dealer for free.

I don't know if it does though.

I don't know if that was an early problem or not, but my 07 MKX has never rolled backward. I ordered mine in June 07 so, I guess its a fairly late build. Mine will actually creep forward on a slight incline with my foot off of the brake.

• 5 months later...

I did the setup stuff, or the reflashing, in the dealer and this fix absolutelly nothing the roll back is still there, I was told in another dealer that it is normal and that it was a matter of design. My ford Taurus does not do it in the same hills though, so even while it may be a design issue, it should not be there...period it is unsafe, as we are not suppose to brake with the left foot, I do not do it I just keep it a little more acelerated and period...

BTW mine is a 2008 SEL FWD model...So they still have the same problem, and there is a TSB for that problem, so it is not our illusion, it is a real problem...

Edited by Kanatronic

I did the setup stuff, or the reflashing, in the dealer and this fix absolutelly nothing the roll back is still there, I was told in another dealer that it is normal and that it was a matter of design. My ford Taurus does not do it in the same hills though, so even while it may be a design issue, it should not be there...period it is unsafe, as we are not suppose to brake with the left foot, I do not do it I just keep it a little more acelerated and period...

BTW mine is a 2008 SEL FWD model...So they still have the same problem, and there is a TSB for that problem, so it is not our illusion, it is a real problem...

It's not unsafe. What happens with a manual transmission when you're stopped on a hill?

It's not unsafe. What happens with a manual transmission when you're stopped on a hill?

Sorry but it is, I almost hit a car yesterday in a hill.

Well manual transmision is designed to be driven differently, drivers that use stick usually get used to drive with both feet, not our case, but even though if you leave the transmission engaged it will not roll neither...

Anyway given that you answer my question with a question, I think that I will do the same: Why then other automatic transmissions from hundreds of other cars do not roll back, hundreds of them do not roll back, even from Ford, my 2000 Taurus with 125,000 miles do not roll back, want more, maybe you will use the weight excuse, right? Well I used to drive a E-350 in my job, a huge Ford van, double in size and weight of the Edge, and it never rolled back...It is a design problem, to what extend it will or could be fixed is the real question, the TSB was not posted in vane, and it will not be so long before it will become a recall...you will see...

Sorry but it is, I almost hit a car yesterday in a hill.

Well manual transmision is designed to be driven differently, drivers that use stick usually get used to drive with both feet, not our case, but even though if you leave the transmission engaged it will not roll neither...

Anyway given that you answer my question with a question, I think that I will do the same: Why then other automatic transmissions from hundreds of other cars do not roll back, hundreds of them do not roll back, even from Ford, my 2000 Taurus with 125,000 miles do not roll back, want more, maybe you will use the weight excuse, right? Well I used to drive a E-350 in my job, a huge Ford van, double in size and weight of the Edge, and it never rolled back...It is a design problem, to what extend it will or could be fixed is the real question, the TSB was not posted in vane, and it will not be so long before it will become a recall...you will see...

All cars will roll back on a big enough incline. Our old blazer would roll back on our drive way which was not a big incline at all.

All cars will roll back on a big enough incline. Our old blazer would roll back on our drive way which was not a big incline at all.

I may understand the roll back if the incline is big enough, agreed, but one thing is on "a big enough incline" (in which my 2000 Taurus never did, BTW, on any ever!!!) and another is on "any incline", even on a slightly inclined driveway...

All we are looking for, the ones who had complained, is to get that fixed from them, or at least improved, that doesn't mean that we could not use the car, or that we do not like the car, I love the Edge, but that is annoying, period...if they can, good for all of us, if not, we will learn how to live with that problem (becasue to me, it is a problem)...period

BTW and a quick comparison, I have a friend that has an small Tracker, a 4 cylinder small SUV type car, well this Tracker if you place it in reverse going down a hill, is able to climb the hill backwards just in iddle...not even in drive...

I may understand the roll back if the incline is big enough, agreed, but one thing is on "a big enough incline" (in which my 2000 Taurus never did, BTW, on any ever!!!) and another is on "any incline", even on a slightly inclined driveway...

All we are looking for, the ones who had complained, is to get that fixed from them, or at least improved, that doesn't mean that we could not use the car, or that we do not like the car, I love the Edge, but that is annoying, period...if they can, good for all of us, if not, we will learn how to live with that problem (becasue to me, it is a problem)...period

BTW and a quick comparison, I have a friend that has an small Tracker, a 4 cylinder small SUV type car, well this Tracker if you place it in reverse going down a hill, is able to climb the hill backwards just in iddle...not even in drive...

I never said you didn't like the car. I'm just letting you know that it does happen in other cars. I also have an edge and we live in the S.F. bay area, lots of hills and its not that big of a deal to me or my wife. I guess we just are used to it.

All automatic equipped cars have this capability - that's how the torque converter is designed. If the force of gravity exceeds the torque converter's input from the engine (at idle) the car will roll back. The Edge torque converter is simply tuned differently which allows the vehicle to roll back more than others.

I have a fairly steep hill with a stop sign outside my neighborhood. If I just took my foot off the brake and slowly hit the gas it would roll back. But since I know that I hit the gas quickly or hold the brake with my left foot and presto - no roll back.

I understand that you don't like it but that doesn't mean it's defective or a safety hazard. It's only a safety hazard if you don't know how to drive it.

All automatic equipped cars have this capability - that's how the torque converter is designed. If the force of gravity exceeds the torque converter's input from the engine (at idle) the car will roll back. The Edge torque converter is simply tuned differently which allows the vehicle to roll back more than others.

I have a fairly steep hill with a stop sign outside my neighborhood. If I just took my foot off the brake and slowly hit the gas it would roll back. But since I know that I hit the gas quickly or hold the brake with my left foot and presto - no roll back.

I understand that you don't like it but that doesn't mean it's defective or a safety hazard. It's only a safety hazard if you don't know how to drive it.

Well the car I almost hit was too close to my rear end, and being on a hill it was not safe to do that, but it was his fault, and even though we never collide at the end, but it was an stressing situation...

Even while agree with the first part , I do not think is a defect neither, it was IMO more like an oversight from them, or maybe the design was a little too on the risky side regarding this problem...But IMO this is an issue that regardless of the law of physics that you try to use, it is not common in the majority of the cars and maybe they underestimate the safety side, concentrating their efforts in just fuel economy, or God knows.

BTW I have been driving around for more than 20 years, as a driver in a company transporting personnel for around 6 (driving an E-350 made by Ford), and after, a year as a taxi driver in NJ/NYC (in a Crown Victoria, another Ford), I do not think that you are insinuating that I may need to learn how to drive this toy, and I do not want to look selfish, but I have driven even tractor trailers, this little truck is nothing trust me on that, and I do know how to drive it, but to me, this is an annoyance (BTW my record is pretty clean as well, considering all those jobs in which driving was the job for more than 8 hours daily)...

All this about rollback gets tiring.

When on a hill, use the brakes.

Also, I believe the Owner's Manual states to NOT use the trans to hold position on an incline.

Hi all. :D Until recently, I thought most members in this thread were complaining that their vehicles rolled back too far when placed in "P" and parking on a hill. However, now it seems many are complaining about not being able to sit on a hill with the engine running/transmission in "D"/foot off the brake, without the vehicle rolling back. If that is the case, those of you doing that are damaging your transmissions in the long run.

Just as an FYI: As rmmpe stated previously, you should always have your foot on the brake while stopped on a hill and in gear. You should never use the transmission alone to hold you in place on hills while in "D" (or any gear). It will damage the torque converter and transmission. While not applicable here, the same goes for a manual trans vehicle. Do not use the clutch to hold it in place while driving and stopped on a hill. This information is so old and well known that it often is not even printed in the Owners Manual of many vehicles anymore. It's the equivalent of needing to tell a driver not to rest their left foot on the brake while driving. It is just assumed people now know this.

To make what I am saying perfectly clear: I am not downplaying any Forum members concerns about the "rollback problem", nor am I taking sides in the entire "Does the Edge/MKX rollback more than other vehicles?" issue. I can see how this may be a problem for some owners to adjust to.

Also, I am not trying to tell anyone how to drive. I am simply trying to give advice on how to treat your transmission properly and have your transmission last longer. And for those who will say that they have driven like that for years with no problems, I will simply state that you have been lucky so far. But the cumulative effect is still shortening the life and efficiency of your transmission. This is common knowledge.

I would make the analogy of someone telling the doctor, "I have been eating loads of fatty and sugary foods for years without any problems, so your information is wrong Doc!". Well you might get away with it for years, but the unseen damage is still there and accumulating, and it will hurt you in the long run. Same with your transmission. It won't blow it up, it will just wear it prematurely.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Guys I'm not sure if you are aware, that regardless of your rant, there is TSB that was released to that effect, and even was modified and updated after, also the software was updated and implemented in the plant as well. So the facts indicate that there was, or better is, a problem, just that the solution offered is not 100% effective yet.

It was released for all 2008 Edge and MKX vehicles built before 1/07/2008, and that in other words, it shows that there is a new calibration that will improve the hold capability on a slight grade and improve the ability to creep in drive and reverse (but mine still rolls back even in slight grade slopes).

The solution as I was told by the service manager, was to reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 53.4 and higher, that is not the one included in the VCM 2008.1 DVD (Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com).

Also as a side note this new calibration is the one that is now in production in the plant since 1/7/2008. So vehicles made after that date are excluded from the service and still will roll back if they do now...

Edited by Kanatronic

Guys I'm not sure if you are aware, that regardless of your rant, there is TSB that was released to that effect, and even was modified and updated after, also the software was updated and implemented in the plant as well. So the facts indicate that there was, or better is, a problem, just that the solution offered is not 100% effective yet.

It was released for all 2008 Edge and MKX vehicles built before 1/07/2008, and that in other words, it shows that there is a new calibration that will improve the hold capability on a slight grade and improve the ability to creep in drive and reverse (but mine still rolls back even in slight grade slopes).

The solution as I was told by the service manager, was to reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 53.4 and higher, that is not the one included in the VCM 2008.1 DVD (Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com).

Also as a side note this new calibration is the one that is now in production in the plant since 1/7/2008. So vehicles made after that date are excluded from the service and still will roll back if they do now...

Hi Kanatronic. :D Since you do not quote anyone in particular, and do not make it clear, I am not sure who you are accusing of a "rant". If it was aimed at me, you certainly did not correctly comprehend what I wrote. As I clearly stated, my post was merely informational concerning transmission wear and the use of the brake on hills. I also made it clear that I am not downplaying or dismissing any forum members questions about this concern. Nor am I taking sides as to whether it is a problem.

In fact, here is exactly what I wrote: "To make what I am saying perfectly clear: I am not downplaying any Forum members concerns about the "rollback problem", nor am I taking sides in the entire "Does the Edge/MKX rollback more than other vehicles?" issue. I can see how this may be a problem for some owners to adjust to."

In other words, there can be a problem with the rollback, but those drivers who use the transmission to hold their place on a hill while in drive, and do not use the brakes are slowly but surely damaging their transmissions.

Concerning the TSB: The TSB has previously been mentioned and listed on these forums so many times in the past, I naturally assume that those complaining of the problem have already had it performed. I assume this because the natural place to bring up concerns about our vehicles is the Dealerships Service Department. Also, the TSB has helped some and not helped others, according to those who had it performed. We have also seen the same rollback complaints those who have purchased recently produced Edges and MKX's, so while it is certainly worth having done, it does not seem to be the cure all that those with this concern would hope for.

If your "rant" comment was not directed at me, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi Kanatronic. :D Since you do not quote anyone in particular, and do not make it clear, I am not sure who you are accusing of a "rant". If it was aimed at me, you certainly did not correctly comprehend what I wrote. As I clearly stated, my post was merely informational concerning transmission wear and the use of the brake on hills. I also made it clear that I am not downplaying or dismissing any forum members concerns about this situation. Nor am I taking sides as to whether there is a "problem".

Concerning the TSB: The TSB has previously been mentioned and listed on these forums so many times in the past, I naturally assume that those complaining of the problem have already had it performed. I assume this because the natural place to bring up concerns about our vehicles is the Dealerships Service Department. Also, the TSB has helped some and not helped others, according to those who had it performed. We also have seen the same rollback complaints those who have purchased recently produced Edges and MKX's.

If your "rant" comment was not directed at me, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Sorry but it was not about your post, of course not, indeed yours was very informative. I wish all of them, instead of complaining of us posting our problems, which this forum is the best place IMO (as to post how good the Edge is, and make this a peer padding place we do not need a forum right) dedicate time as you did, to supply valid info. No, it was intended for those who did/do the opposite of what you did...sorry, also maybe rant was not the right word, but something similar will work as well... :doh: .

Edited by Kanatronic

Sorry but it was not about your post, of course not, indeed yours was very informative. I wish all of them, instead of complaining of us posting our problems, which this forum is the best place IMO (as to post how good the Edge is, and make this a peer padding place we do not need a forum right) dedicate time as you did, to supply valid info. No, it was intended for those who did/do the opposite of what you did...sorry, also maybe rant was not the right word, but something similar will work as well... :doh: .

Hi Kanatronic. :D Okay, understood. Thanks for the clarification. :shift:

PS - I had edited and added to my post (to try and make it clearer) at the same time you were replying, so I had not read your reply yet when I did so. Thanks again and sorry for the misunderstanding.

Edited by bbf2530