Bad crimps on door skins

Fifth_Ford

After washing my Edge a couple of weeks ago I noticed that the seams on the door skins don't match up and the crimps on the corners are crushed instead of a nice overlap. I went to the dealer and asked them about it but they had never seen it before. We looked at an Edge in the show room and it had the same thing. Has anybody else seen this on their Edge. Their body shop is currently trying to figure out what to do about it. My concern is will it start to rust come winter. There are parts where the out skin does not even overlap the inner panel

After washing my Edge a couple of weeks ago I noticed that the seams on the door skins don't match up and the crimps on the corners are crushed instead of a nice overlap. I went to the dealer and asked them about it but they had never seen it before. We looked at an Edge in the show room and it had the same thing. Has anybody else seen this on their Edge. Their body shop is currently trying to figure out what to do about it. My concern is will it start to rust come winter. There are parts where the out skin does not even overlap the inner panel

Exactly where/what are you talking about?

Can you post a picture or two?

Exactly where/what are you talking about?

Can you post a picture or two?

Pictures are as follows. Sorry about the focus but I think you can get the feel for it. Talked to the dealer today and they said that they are still waiting to findout how Ford wants to fix it. So far its been a week and a half.

post-1393-1188342153_thumb.jpg

post-1393-1188342189_thumb.jpg

post-1393-1188342213_thumb.jpg

I looked at my Edge doors and it is similar. That said, all surfaces are smoothed and painted so there is very very limited risk of rust and at least on mine no risk of being cut when hand washing the area. I would not want the body shop to do anything with it. The long term durability should not be affected. Ford does have an excellent corrosion warranty.

Yeah...I'm getting tired as well with folks spamming multiple forums with the same questions. PICK A THREAD PEOPLE!

I find it interesting that certain individuals tend to be repeatedly critical of people who have limited understanding of posting protocol -- people like me -- and add absolutely nothing to improve one's understanding of specific vehicle concerns. That's truly the waste!

I myself find this site to be very useful to understanding the Edge. I have a 2005 SEL and ordered a 2008 Edge Limited.

I was concerned about the posted pictures of the door edges until I looked at my own. I certainly understand a purchaser's apprehension!

I find it interesting that certain individuals tend to be repeatedly critical of people who have limited understanding of posting protocol -- people like me -- and add absolutely nothing to improve one's understanding of specific vehicle concerns. That's truly the waste!

I myself find this site to be very useful to understanding the Edge. I have a 2005 SEL and ordered a 2008 Edge Limited.

I was concerned about the posted pictures of the door edges until I looked at my own. I certainly understand a purchaser's apprehension!

Thanks...for a while there I was thinking this forum was a waster of time. It is nice to see there are people on here that are generally concerned about the important things....like their vehicle

I looked at my Edge doors and it is similar. That said, all surfaces are smoothed and painted so there is very very limited risk of rust and at least on mine no risk of being cut when hand washing the area. I would not want the body shop to do anything with it. The long term durability should not be affected. Ford does have an excellent corrosion warranty.

You are right, mine is the same (painted and protected) but I have been down this road before with Ford and rust. The coverage is perforation by rust only, not surface. The Ford body shop is suggesting a seam sealer and then painting over the sealer. Seems harmless enough but I will investigate it further.

Thanks

You are right, mine is the same (painted and protected) but I have been down this road before with Ford and rust. The coverage is perforation by rust only, not surface. The Ford body shop is suggesting a seam sealer and then painting over the sealer. Seems harmless enough but I will investigate it further.

Thanks

Surface rust is most often a function of exposure to environmental elements and is more commonly known as "industrial fallout". Your present issue is inner door surfaces. Industrial fallout will never be an issue causing "surface" rust on inner door surfaces. Of course, I don't know your history.

The only real possible rust failure you might see is failure of a non-painted surface or the door not properly draining water resulting in corrosion. On mine, I didn't see any non-painted surface or draining problem. If the dealer paints the surface, he will have to prepare it so it adheres..... sanding etc. Down the road this repair could cause problems. Understanding this, if it were mine, I would do nothing but ENJOY THE VEHICLE and keep a copy of the dealer's repair order noting the concern "in file" for future Ford consideration should a failure occur. They do consider documentation like that.

From what we've seen, all other Edge doors show a similar condition so it's how it's built on all vehicles. A replacement door would not improve yours or my situation.

What does the dealer think about the issue? What would they do if they had the issue? If the vehicle were theirs? Ask them! Dealers will do a lot to satisfy you when you believe you have a concern (you are upset) but would not do the same to their own vehicle because in the long term they believe it may not be the best solution.

• 4 weeks later...
Redfire 07 SEL, doors look perfect so it appears Pete is correct.

All,

Looks like Ford doesn't have very good quality control, especially for what they're charging for these Edges. It's cr@p like this that gives American cars a bad reputation. Ford needs happy customers who will keep buying their cars in the LONG RUN!!! Otherwise, produce cars with poor fit and finish and the customers will keep running to imports. I hate to see this, because I really prefer to buy American.

• 2 years later...

Yes, bringing this back up as it's the most relative thread. Bought the Edge back in July and detailed it this weekend to find rust bubbling up on 3 of the four doors. I am concerned that since we just ticket over 36,000 miles (37,500 now) the dealer will be a bit tough to work with. Any input?