For Those Who Bought A 2011 Edge in 2010...

OnlySkillz

For those who bought a 2011 Edge in 2010 and still have it, how do you rate the reliability?

Have you encountered any major problems? Has it been costly to run it?

Also, feel free to state some of the stuff you do like/do not like.

I am currently about to purchase a 2013 Edge and wanted to know if it was reliable and won't give me problems!!

I haven't had ours for long but we do have ~12k on the clock and have been following this forum for a while so I can say that the bulk of the complaints are with the MFT and if you get AWD many have had issues with the PTU seals. Some have also experienced issues with the trans but this was particular build dates and there is a TSB to fix the problem. Other than that the engines appear to be very reliable and other issues seem to be minor.

I bought my Limited in 2010 and picked it up in Aug 2011 (I'm in the military and had to ship it overseas). Honestly, I haven't had many problems with it. The only problem I really run into is sometimes the remote ignition doesn't start, but that doesn't happen very often. It's a great car that I don't have to worry about. MPG is pretty good for its weight and I only budget $200 a month for gas, sometimes I reach my limit and sometimes I don't. I really enjoy the comfort and ride of the vehicle. I have owned it for almost a year now and I have still found myself going back out to the garage to look at it or find something to clean or work on lol. I love this car!

One thing I don't like is how far away the door is from the driver's seat. I'm 5'8" and I want to prop my elbow up on the window ledge, but its barely reachable for me. After a while, it becomes uncomfortable to keep my arm up there. I also wish there were turning indicators on the side view mirrors. I opt'd for the 18" wheels on mine and I haven't once seriously considered upgrading to a bigger size. I like the way the wheels look and I get better gas mileage.

I can't really think of anything else right now. But I definitely think this car is awesome. Great ride, cool technology (MFT has never had issues in my Edge), and an awesome look.

Great to hear guys. I just spent 1.5 hours reading up this forum, and found that MFT was a problem, but it is fixed on 2012 models with a USB drive, and 2013 comes with the latest upgrade, correct?

The second major issue I hear is 'horrible' gas mileage with the EcoBoost 4-cylinder engine on the highway. I have a couple questions relating to the Ecoboost:

1) Has the 2013 Ecoboost been changed from the 2012 one?

2) In the Edge pamphlet, it states the Edge gets 28 MPG in the city and 43 MPG on highways ------ With Ecoboost. Is this true? I hope it is and they are speaking the truth.

- Also, do the SEL and above models all come with daytime running lights? I see the verticle line/tube, but is it a bright, white, LED day time running light tube?

All in all, I am real real close to purchasing a New 2013 White Edge Limited w/ Ecoboost and pretty much all the main features they have to offer, for $40.7k + taxes ($46K in the end). I need a car that would be able to drive 100km (or 60 miles) daily without any problems. This would be my daily driver. Would the Edge satisfy my needs?

Edited by OnlySkillz

I wouldn't say the rewritten software for MFT has fixed it. For some like myself it is a lot better but there are still glitches. But at least overall system stability has improved. I would recommend when you find one you like you spend some time pairing your phone and really pushing the limits of the system to see how it does since there seems to be a wide variety of experiences. So there maybe some hardware issues/conflicts with some.

Not having EB I can't say much about the MPG but I will say that turbocharged engines can be very efficient but only if you stay out of the boost. But boost is why you buy them because you like the feel of power and torque...so often you don't quite get what you think. My last vehicle was a modified Subaru Legact GT and if I really got on it the instantaneous MGP would read 3-5, so if you really get on it at every light you're not going to do very well. But if I drove relatively normal I would get 25mpg. So driving style will play the biggest part.

^ Thank you for that. But the EB experiences related to the highway, where people said it was horrible. I don't assume they floored it on the highway, so that's what I am worried about.

Do you know what MPG these people got on the highway, and if it's still relatively better than the V6's?

And...I'm debating on the Touring Package vs. just adding Nav, as the Panoramic roof would set me back $1000. Is the Pan roof worth it for $1000?

If I don't get the Panoramic roof, can I still get a normal sunroof, or will it be all covered?

Edited by OnlySkillz

Well yes and no on the highway....I find the V6 is often downshifting ont he highway to pass at a moderate rate or go up fairly easy grades. I don't know for sure but if they are using the tranny gearing the EB will likely be very similar in this regard if not more so. If you downshift you are back in the boost so you will likely see a more significant drop. But again I don't have one so I can't confirm but I wouldn't be too surprised if the increase in MPG is less that expected and it takes a lot longer to get back that premium you pay for the EB upfront.

As for the roof...at least for the 2011 it was either pano or nothing so I would imagine that is still the case but you should be bale to build one on the Ford site to confirm.

I see.. So it takes '3' years to get back the money you paid for the EB compared to the V6 right? Are both engines constructed similarly, both being reliable and built to last?

I know the current generation just came out 2 years ago and it might be hard to answer that, but has it been promising for you/others that you know (or read about) ?

Edit: Just did a quick calculation, and according to that, 3 years seems right versus the V6.

Edited by OnlySkillz

We bought a 2011 Edge SEL FWD w/ leather/MFT package in October of 2010.

Except for MyFord Touch (which is still a bit buggy but greatly improved from when we first bought the car), it's been a great vehicle. We have 35k miles on it, and have driven it on lots of trips including from Indianapolis out to Yellowstone and back. No problems with anything yet, knock on wood. Our average fuel economy is ~23mpg with about 50/50 highway/city.

Like:

+ Ride

+ Seats

+ Size

+ Smoothness of the V6

+ Configurable displays in instrument cluster

+ Style

+ Tires

Dislike:

- You can't really store anything under the rear seats. Tried to put a blanket under there, but then they won't fold flat.

- Stock audio on SEL is TERRIBLE.

- Aforementioned MFT bugs

- Color (wife REALLY wanted the red, but it's not the best on this car. If it was mine, I would have gone white or that earthy bronze, every time I see those they're my favorite)

- Weight. This thing is ~4200+ lbs, and feels it. On the heavy side for the class.

I got my 2011 Limited AWD in October of 2010. To date I have almost 50K miles on it. I average around 20MPG (mixed City/Highway) which I find comparable to all other similarly sized crossovers with a V6.

Overall I am not happy with this vehicle. Too many problems (many intermittent).

Problems:

1.- MFT- latest release is better but still quite a few bugs.

2.- Mic for Blue tooth phone - Audio quality on receiving end is terrible. So bad, it can't be used to talk to someone that is on hands-free on the other end.

3.- HVAC calibration - see my other post.

4.- Idler pulley stuck on day 4

5.- Trans oil leak within 1st month

6.- Rattle in rear of vehicle (intermittent). Took 1 year and many dealer visits for a subwoofer replacement that fixed the issue.

7.- Suspension squeak in rear of vehicle (intermittent). Still not found after many dealer visits

8.- Memory seat module failure. Seat would move to my wife's seat position when she got in the car on the passenger side while the car was running and I was in the driver seat. She is 1ft+ shorter than me.

9.- Battery was dead within 1 year.

10.- Strange wind noise on passenger side. Dealer says its normal.

11.- No indication of headlight on/off status. I find "Auto" turning the lights on later than I would like.

12 - Road and wind noise seem loud compared to other similar vehicles

13.- Rain sensing wipers come on without rain (every now and then)

1.- Engine performance and driveability

2.- Seats are comfortable

3.- Keyless entry and start system works well

4.- Overall size of vehicle fits my needs

5.- If it had no bugs, then MFT would be a positive.

6.- BAMR

7.- Tires still have plenty of tread and worke well in all types of conditions

8.- Resolution and color of 8" screen is very good

9.- Dash with large center speedo and programmable screens.

Overall, I would not buy this vehicle again. Probably doesn't help that my previous vehicle went 90K miles without any issues (not even any squeaks or rattles). The local Ford dealer is also incapable of understanding that an intermittent issue might need a bit more investigation before calling it "no trouble found".

I have a '12 MKX for a little over 6 months, and I am very happy with it. I did have a problem with the liftgate not always closing on the first try, but a program update was performed at the dealer, and all is fine. Since my update with MFT, all is fine with it, no complaints at all. My only gripe is that I wish that this car had auto highbeam headlight like my wife's MKS does. A friend just got a Caddy SRX last week, not a bad vehicle, but my MKX has it beat in all area's.