Engine cut out on me

I have a 2011 Edge with only 8k miles on it and this happened to me today with the wife and 3mo old. I was driving on the freeway and my engine began to sputter. I stepped on the gas and nothing. The engine had shut off. I lost power steering and brake assist.

Luckily, I was able to pull off to the right shoulder without incident. Good thing I was driving rather than my wife. I think she might have freaked out.

Got it dropped off at the dealer and after a couple hours they called me back and stated it was a fuel sensor that tripped apparently cutting off the flow of fuel to the engine. Anyone have anything like this happen to them??

• 2 months later...

Have you experienced any similar symptoms since the repair? I also have a 2011 Edge and it also shut down on the freeway. The tool maintenance light lit up and the AWD is off displayed. I could shut off the engine, wait a few minutes, restart and drive a 1/2 mile or so before it would do it again. I limped to the closest dealer instead of waiting two hours for a tow in 90 degree heat on the interstate with a 4 year old and freaked out wife. Of course it was Saturday, after 5 PM, no rental cars, no service departments,only sales. Hopefully I will find something out Monday, but saw your post and thought I would ask about your experience. Except for the AWD is OFF light, it acted just like a fuel shut down.

Yea, that seems like a very similar problem that I had. Although I couldn't get mine to start up again. I had to get it towed 40 miles to the dealership that I bought it from. When I dropped it off, they couldn't get it started either. An hour later they called me back and said that they got it started, but didn't know how they got it started.

They had driven my car for about 300 miles and they had it for 2 weeks, before they replaced the "fuel module" that controls the fuel pump. I guess that's what the Ford Service Engineers told them to do, because they couldn't replicate the problem.

Let me know how it goes with yours. You're the second person to respond back with a very similar issue.

Okay, all is not well, but I'm posting anyway. I have filed a complaint with Ford and NHTSA. Ford escalated my concern to their Consumer Solutions Division. NHTSA is under review for similar issues. Please go to www.safercar.gov and file a complaint with NHTSA. It takes a few minutes on-line, but the more similar complaints, the more likely NHTSA will take up the mantle.

As previously stated, our 2011 Ford Edge Limited AWD, shut down on the highway at Interstate speed without warning. No power to proceed forward, however the engine did idle. Dealer said it was computer calculation error. They reset it, test drove it, towed it back to the shop. Next day they reset the computer again (apparently doing the same failed task twice is the answer), notified me to pick it up. I had a friend drive and I followed. 5 miles later on I40, in Knoxville, at 5 PM, it shut down again. I ran interference to block traffic trying to ram us from the rear. Vehicle was towed, Dealer says it is the throttle body (last Friday 8/24), but they need many test drives to feel safe before releasing it. Wednesday afternoon as I write ( how many test drives can I do), no word from the dealer. I see smoke blowing up my rear. He can not definitely say it is the throttle body because other errors come up. My concern is for the safety of others that may purchase this vehicle after I trade it. I need to feel confident the problem is fixed by experts. Thus, please pass on your complaints if you have had any similar issues with the MyFord Touch computer system, calculation errors, fuel, throttle body, or driveability issues.

Wow, that's one hell of an issue. Well good thing is if you take it back a third time for that same problem, you can lemon law it (in California anyway). It's pretty much returning the car and getting your money back. I looked into it since I had other issues with the car. It was mainly cosmetic prior to the engine cutting out.

Well, I got the Edge back this evening. We drove straight to another competitor and traded the Edge in for a new car from them. So, maybe just the owners are miffed and the outsiders are unaware. Perhaps 2012 and 2013s are better. I will post if I ever hear anything from Ford or NHTSA. They did do all the stuff I previously stated, and assured me it was fixed. Hopefully it never happens again to the new owners. As for us, once a car fails between destinations, it is no longer our friend and cannot be trusted.

There is no reason the dealer should not have simply replaced the throttle body which most likely would have solved the problem. Unfortunately there are bad dealers out there who either don't do the right thing or don't care and that ends up reflecting bad on Ford when they really have no control over it.

I don't agree that it's a NHTSA issue but I'm glad you have a new car and don't have to worry. However, don't think that another vehicle from another mfr can't have a similar problem.

Akirby, agreed. There are bad dealers out there and I the only way for us the consumer to hit back, is by complaining. By sending a complaint it puts them on notice. One complaint won't mean anything, but several can get something done. At least we've started somewhere.

I just want to be sure you understand that Ford has no actual control over their dealers - they are independent businesses protected by 50 yr old state franchise laws. It's like complaining to Sony about the service at Best Buy. It won't hurt but it's not like Ford can shut down the dealer or otherwise punish the dealer for bad service. It's unfortunate but that's the way it works.

You are absolutely correct Joehio. That is precisely why I filed the complaint with Ford and NHTSA. I needed assurance from them that I was not passing on a safety problem to an unsuspecting consumer. Ford responded to me via email and also followed up by phone. I was assured by both the dealer and Ford Consumer Solutions Rep that I could be confident the Edge was fixed. However, the vehicle failed to get me from point A to point B and was no longer my friend. I buy new vehicles once or twice every calendar year to minimize roadside break downs. This is the first time it has happened to a new car for me in 30 plus years of purchases.

To answer others, I bought a BMW. It was the closest dealer with cars my wife would consider. Also, I have no animosity towards the dealer or Ford. They were concerned with fixing it as well and understood my frustration. In fact she said she agreed 100 percent that technicians and quality were playing catch-up on the new MyFord Touch system installed with the 2011 Edges. I'm sure I'll buy Ford again, but will be sure to check for repeating problems or improvements.

In some cases you can complain to the state. My father once had a Dodge Dart that went in for A/C service several times and the dealer didn't fix the problem, but kept saying they did. My father was looking through the phone book at state agencies to complain to and found one. He sent them all of the information and they setup a meeting with the dealer. The state basically told the dealer "Mr. xxxxx has a valid complaint and you are going to fix it to his satisfaction, free of charge". The dealer did just that.

It's worth a shot. That was probably the governor's office of consumer affairs or something like that. Better Business Bureau can also help sometimes. But not always.

I buy new vehicles once or twice every calendar year to minimize roadside break downs. This is the first time it has happened to a new car for me in 30 plus years of purchases.

Once or twice every year??? Wow. With today's cars you're just as likely to have a problem on day one as the last day of the 3/36 warranty.

Congrats on your new BMW, many happy and safe motoring miles with it. Sure hope that Ford gets to the bottom of the shut down problem, before someone gets seriously injured, or killed. Personally, I think that today's cars have too much electronic shit running them. Hell, give me a car with a carburator and manual coke control. God, am I dating myself or what?

Yea, those were the days (hey wasn't that a TV show). But yea, way too much electronics. I did do some minor mods and computer programming with my '09 Roush 427 and '06 Mustang GT Vert, but nothing that I couldn't recover from. As for new cars and trucks, we have been fortunate to not have any major issues before now. We have owned many luxury brands (no exotics) and all the domestics. Most were troublefree, others not so much. Believe it or not, besides the Ford F150, our least issues have come from Dodge products (3 trucks, 1 car). I have owned 6 Ford trucks and never ever took one in for warranty work. That's why one bad apple will not keep me away, just makes me wary. Many happy returns to all who post.

• 3 months later...

Just putting in my 2 cents: I initially bought 2012 Edge Limited FWD. It was my dream car. It was an expensive purchase for me, but I didn't want to buy a used car. I bought it brand new because I wanted the peace of mind.

5 days later, I was driving along, minding my own business, and the engine just....died. The steering locked up, the brakes went out, and I was able to wrestle it over to the side of the road. I tried restarting the engine, but nothing happened. I waited about 10 minutes and then it restarted without issue.

A few miles later, same thing. I live in Los Angeles and there is always a lot of congestion and crazy drivers. It's a miracle I didn't get in an accident.

I called the dealer hysterical and told them to fix it. They replaced the entire fuel system - gas tank and everything. It took 2 days.

3 days after that...well, I'm sure you can guess. Same thing happened. I raised hell with the dealer and demanded that they give me another car.

They swapped it out for a 2013 SEL with EcoBoost.. That was May 2012. I just passed 4,000 miles. I have to say, I want to love this car, but it's been challenging. I have the same issue others have reported where the cabin fills up with exhaust if the a/c and/or recirc is not on. This is when idling in my driveway, so I know it's not from other cars.

The a/c smells horrible. I took it to the dealer for both issues, and they said it was normal.

A few months ago, the lock/unlock button on the key started acting up. I have to press it a million times to get the damned thing to work.

My tire pressure warning light went on a week ago. I promptly inflated my tires to the correct PSI, but the light remains on.

Don't even get me started on the MFT. I could write a book. iPod sync and navigation are particularly lacking.

And finally, I'm finding the EcoBoost to be rather underwhelming. The transmission doesn't shift smoothly and I've really got to press hard on the gas pedal to get any momentum. My gas mileage is okay, but not great. This ws a personal mistake - I didn't realize how much I'd miss the power of a V6.

I was very wary about buying a car with so many electronics, and now I know that my suspicions were probably correct. I bought a massive warranty that covers everything, but a) it's a pain to always have the car in the shop and B) it's the principle - THIS IS A BRAND NEW CAR. It shouldn't have these problems, especially not with a $40k price tag attached.

The rub is that I love this car - the way it looks, the smooth ride. I don't want any other car. But since my first experience with a Ford was a lemon and the second is problematic, I'm wondering if I didn't make a mistake.

Negativity aside, this forum is great. I appreciate all the feedback on here and it makes me think I just need to iron out a few kinks before I think of getting something else.

Thanks,

Jennifer

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

2011 Limited here. 40,500 miles. Engine stopped on highway on my wife. Drove 129 miles to try to fix it. Scan tool shows throttle position stuck open. Cleaned and got my wife home with one stall on a 120 mile trip. Ordered new throttle body.

I say Ford has a problem with their throttle bodies. Not happy about it at all. A 36,000 dollar vehicle should be more reliable than that.

I think kits a safety issue for sure and cannot believe Ford is not doing anything about it.

2011 Limited here. 40,500 miles. Engine stopped on highway on my wife. Drove 129 miles to try to fix it. Scan tool shows throttle position stuck open. Cleaned and got my wife home with one stall on a 120 mile trip. Ordered new throttle body.

I say Ford has a problem with their throttle bodies. Not happy about it at all. A 36,000 dollar vehicle should be more reliable than that.

I think kits a safety issue for sure and cannot believe Ford is not doing anything about it.

They do have a throttle body problem and they're replacing them under warranty. My understanding is when this happens turning it off and back on clears it at least temporarily. This is the first one I've heard that wouldn't restart on its own. This might be a different failure.

• 1 month later...

Sorry akirby, that is Fusion, Escape, Milan and Mariner. I reported it on NHTSA website and I also called Ford Corporate, they will have a regional person call within a couple of days. I am trying something on my own. Since I have to turn the car off then on to have it run correctly, it clears any error codes. Dealer won't replace anything without an error code, especially under warranty. I am going to send a vehicle health report when it happens, with engine still running, to see if it sends error code, dealer nor Ford knows if it will. I tried it today when it happened, but I sent another report after restart for a comparison. When I checked syncmyride, it only holds the last report, over-writes any previous, so it shows the good one after restart. Dealer even says it is probably throttle body, but without the codes, nothing.