Bizarre & significant engine/pedal problem of unknown origin

My 2011 Edge is experiencing a problem that the dealer hasn't yet been able to diagnose. Several times in recent weeks, including 3 times in one day this past Monday, the following occurs:

1. Driving normally, anywhere from a few miles an hour to 45-50 MPH (it hasn't happened at highway speeds yet), I'll hear/feel a THUMP from the pedal area, the wrench light will come on, and

2. Immediately, the gas pedal becomes completely non-functional. It moves freely, very loose, and no longer controls throttle. Useless.

3. I turn on the emergency blinkers, and slow down/pull to the side of the road. However, when we get down to 5-6 MPH or so, the brake pedal locks about 98% - freezes in place, essentially, and I have to practically stand on it to get the car to come to a complete stop.

4. I'll turn of the engine, wait a minute, then start it up again. It struggles for a few moments to start up, but when it does the wrench light is gone and everything is working again. It •feels• like there's a bit of a drag on the car when it's coasting, but I'll grant that that may be me being oversensitive to the car's performance after one of these events.

This has happened a total of 5 times in the past 3 weeks or so. It's disturbing, obviously, as is the fact that the dealer says they can't do much if they can't recreate the problem - which is a craps shoot, given that a week can go by between incidents.

Help?

Thanks,

J.

It does sound to me like the engine is actually stalling, that would explain the thunk and the brake pedal going hard as you run out of vacuum assist. But I would expect you'd get more than just the wrench light; the red oil pressure light and I think the battery light should also come on.