Transmisoin flush at 90,000 miles

spiechu

Hi, I have 2007 SEL AWD with 90,000. I've never change transmission fluid which I'm going  to do now. I need your advice because  I heard that it is better to just drain and refill the fluid and not to do a "flush".  Is there any truth to this.  I'm worry that flush can cause some problems to the transmission with my mileage. 

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Hi, I have 2007 SEL AWD with 90,000. I've never change transmission fluid which I'm going to do now. I need your advice because I heard that it is better to just drain and refill the fluid and not to do a "flush". Is there any truth to this. I'm worry that flush can cause some problems to the transmission with my mileage.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

You do not want to do a "flush" where they use chemicals or forced fluid. What you do want is for the dealer to use the cooler lines to recover the old fluid and introduce new fluid. This uses the normal circulation of the fluid with no added pressure or chemicals so it's safe and it changes 95%+ of the old fluid without dropping the pan.

Thanks!!

Then which of these two you suggest?

1) Power Purge® and Maintenance Services

Help prolong the life of your transmission with a regular flush and fluid change at AAMCO. Our exclusive Power Purge® Plus Transmission Flush & Filter Change is the most comprehensive transmission maintenance service available anywhere. It's the service that is designed to help your transmission shift better and last longer. Much more than just a fluid change, we check and then flush your system clean using our state of the art and patented Power Purge® flush equipment.

In all you get:

A complete Transmission Multi-Point Inspection check for your transmission

Replacement of virtually 100% of your old transmission fluid

Removal of dirt, grit and abrasives that can damage your transmission

Replacement of the filter or cleaning your screen

Replacement of your used pan gasket

A thorough check for leaks

A complete refill with fresh, clean fluid

or

2) Transmission Fluid Change & Maintenance

AAMCO offers a low-cost Safeguard transmission fluid change, as well. Let the transmission experts keep your transmission properly maintained to help prolong its life. Like all AAMCO Transmission Maintenance Services, our Safeguard service begins with a complete Transmission Multi-Point Inspection to spot any potential problems.

The service includes:

Drain transmission fluid and replace with new fluid.

Replace filter and fill with fresh, clean fluid.

Perform leak check.

I've always done T-fluid and filter changes myself. As long as they change the filter, clean the pan and magnet and use the PROPER fluid I think you are cool. If I did not do them myself, I would definitely take it to a good Ford dealership rather then trust a quick-change place. I'm always surprised how much material collects in the pan everytime I do the first T-fluid change on a new vehicle. I'm not a big fan of NOT changing the filter which so many tend to do these days.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got 96k on mine and having it flushed at a dealer this morning. They are also going to flash (re-program) the tranny as well. They said that generally resolves the issues I've experienced; most recently, it feels like it's slipping when maintaining speed in 6th gear. They gave me some other TSB info. I'll try to give an update and provide that TSB info later.

Like akirby said, go to a dealer as the other shops generally do a 'pump out and refill' of fluid. No way that's going to be a clean flush. Had that done to a '97 Explorer once at a quick service oil change place and it just didn't feel the same afterwards but it was time to trade it in anyway.

Only use the specified fluid not some generic brand that they put a small bottle of additive to bring it to mfgr specs,How much old fluid is recirculated into your trans lines ,that is left from previous usage?? Marty

Edited by Depiry

• 4 months later...