Adding automatic headlighs on

There are 2 ways of doing it. One get your dealer to turn on the DRL option next time you are in for service. It will require am upload so it will take some time.

You can also put electrical tape over the sensor that is front and center of the dashboard. However, your dashboard will always be dimmed, which makes it hard to read in the day, especially in the sunlight, and especially if you are wearing sunglasses.

Or you can do what I do and turn the knob every time i get into the vehicle.

Usually (more often than not), all the "guts" of the system is installed, you only need to change the headlight selection knob to one with the auto headlight option included (or mod the switch to turn clockwise one additional step).

Looks like this might be it (check with your local dealer for part number):

http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-switch-asy-headlam_sw-6805.html

or you can buy on the bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCRAFT-SW-6805-Switch-Headlight-/180890669719?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1dec9297&vxp=mtr

I don't gurantee it will work, but if you look at other ford forums (taurus, escape), people added auto headlight function just by changing the switch (I did it on my 04 taurus and it worked just fine).

Edited by candurin

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting ideas guys... I called a stereo shop this week and they quoted 150 bucks parts and labor for the DEI system. I just dont like the switch or external sensor they offer. I would rather have the factory switch and sensor if that would work as a plug and play. Has anybody tried to install the factory stuff on an 2011?

Thanks again...

The headlamp switch feeds into the Smart Junction Box. So you would likely have to reprogram that to turn the autolamp feature on. It's also quite likely that you don't have the extra wire in the circuit for the autolamp position on the switch. But if you want to check, the connector going into the back of the headlight switch needs 9 wires for autolamps. If you only have 8, you'll have to run another one.

Edited by Waldo

Thanks Waldo,,, How difficult is it to take the switch out to see?... This is my first Ford and I've never worked on em before.

Just pop the side panel off the IP. You can probably see the wires from there, but if not, the switch just has a couple plastic tabs that you can squeeze and it will pop out.