Edge SE w/ 17" want to upgrade to 20"

melgriffith

I just bought a 2012 Ford Edge SE with the stock 17" painted rims. I wanted to upgrade to the 20" OEM rims. However just concerned with axle width and rear dif gearing. I was looking at the higher Edge models of limited, SEL, and sport, they have a wider axle, different gearing. And to add, don't know if suspension will be effected. Can or would someone here know if upgrading to 20" rims, I would also need to invest in upgrades to rear dif gearing, axle, and suspension.

thanks

Mel

Mel, I'm not sure what size tires the 17 inch are, but the 20's are 245/50/20. I will guess the 17's are 235/65/17. Use this tire calculator to see what the differences in size does to the RPM's of the tire, the height, width, speedometer reading, etc. I think you will see there really isn't that much of a change. I'm looking to downsize my 20's to 18's (245/50/18) and it's an almost even match up!

http://www.miata.net...e/tirecalc.html

Edited by ls973800

I went from 17" to 20" on my SE with no problem at all. The ride is still very good, but handles much better. You won't be disappointed. Now if you lower it in addition to going to 20's, then it is stiffer. My 20's weigh 3lbs more a wheel, and 4lbs more a tire than the stock 17's.