2007 Ford Edge low MPG?

baespey

My 2007 Ford Edge SEL had a window sticker of 18/25 MPG. Most of my driving is city based, downtown, stop and go driving, but after going a full tank, I realized I get around 14.5 MPG. Is this normal or is something wrong? If something is wrong, can this be fixed?

• 1 month later...

In 2008, the EPA revised fuel economy ratings. They have since issued revised ratings for older vehicles, here is what they show for the 2007 Edge:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=23898

As you can see, they give 16 mpg city. If you accelerate quickly or do not drive smoothly, you could easily do worse. Other factors are carrying a bunch of extra weight around or having under inflated tires.

Lastly, you have a Front Wheel Drive, right? The AWD is even worse.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah the mpg kinda sucks around the city....Edge is pretty heavy and by no means a great vehicle for mpg...try to drive conservatively when you possible. Also, don't pay attention to the mpg that the info screen gives you, mine says I get 20.2 mpg while Fuelly.com says I get 19 mpg which seems more accurate based on how often I have to fill up.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah the mpg kinda sucks around the city....Edge is pretty heavy and by no means a great vehicle for mpg...try to drive conservatively when you possible. Also, don't pay attention to the mpg that the info screen gives you, mine says I get 20.2 mpg while Fuelly.com says I get 19 mpg which seems more accurate based on how often I have to fill up.

Mostly city or highway? And I would suggest tracking your gas usage on a site like Fuelly, my edge says I get 20.1 mpg while Fuelly says I get 19.0 mpg....Ford has even told me that my computer is off and its not uncommon and I have heard of it being the other way too where ppl get more than their computer says. Try it out. If you drive mostly city then your mpg will suck, sorry. If not, try to drive more carefully

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

My 07 AWD SEL has a 3.6L V6 and gets 14 city and 20 HWY. That is very near EPA estimates. remember that the EPA ratings are ESTIMATES and they never take a vehicle on the road to get those numbers. There numbers are based on fuel consumption and exhaust data while the vehicle is stationary on a system like they use at the DMV.