35 Watt DDM HID's in 13 Edge

I am looking for info from any Canadian edge owners who have converted to HID (DDM or others). In Canada, headlights are used for DRL's. They usually run at a slightly lower output/voltage during the day. I can see it on my 13 SEL when I manually turn the light switch from auto to on. The lights are slightly brighter in the on position. At night, the auto and on are the same brightness. I am wondering if this would cause a problem firing the HID's with the reduced voltage. I guess using a harness with relays would be the other option if the voltage was too low. The relays should still operate slightly below 12 volts.

• Like 1

I am looking for info from any Canadian edge owners who have converted to HID (DDM or others). In Canada, headlights are used for DRL's. They usually run at a slightly lower output/voltage during the day. I can see it on my 13 SEL when I manually turn the light switch from auto to on. The lights are slightly brighter in the on position. At night, the auto and on are the same brightness. I am wondering if this would cause a problem firing the HID's with the reduced voltage. I guess using a harness with relays would be the other option if the voltage was too low. The relays should still operate slightly below 12 volts.

I am not Canadian but my Edge has the exact issue where the headlights are used for DRLs. This is exactly what I used for my setup:

5K 9006/9012 HID Kit with Canbus Ballasts: http://shop.3bspecialties.com/3BSpec-9006-Xenon-HID-Kit-5000k-HID-9006-5k.htm

Warning Cancelers: http://shop.3bspecialties.com/3BSpec-Warning-Canceler-Modules-HID-WarningModule.htm

DRL Module: http://shop.3bspecialties.com/DRL-Modules-HID-DRLmodule.htm

Works perfectly fine.

Hey Prinzll, I've read through all the HID conversion threads I could find on here and you seem to be the only person that knows and understands what DRL's are and doesn't skip over the question or add confusion when someone speaks of them LOL.

Anyway, I just want to be clear about a couple things before I order a kit. I'm in Canada and we just bought a 2013 Edge Sport for the wife, and kinda disappointed HID's were not an option, she drives a lot at night and I know how much I love them on my Escalade, so I'm looking into doing a retrofit kit on it right away as it has the projectors so should be an easy task.

Now with the parts you mentioned do the DRL's still operate? I don't want to disable them, I still want them to operate normally with the HID bulbs as they did with the halogen bulbs.

I'm not interested in buying junk, I would have gladly paid the $600 for the option to have them from the factory so want a kit that will last and not give problems, so I want to do it right with good parts straight off.

I'm looking at the 35w 4300k kit with the canbus ballast, warning canceller option, along with PNP DRL harness, will this get me what I want and need?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Prinzll, I've read through all the HID conversion threads I could find on here and you seem to be the only person that knows and understands what DRL's are and doesn't skip over the question or add confusion when someone speaks of them LOL.

Anyway, I just want to be clear about a couple things before I order a kit. I'm in Canada and we just bought a 2013 Edge Sport for the wife, and kinda disappointed HID's were not an option, she drives a lot at night and I know how much I love them on my Escalade, so I'm looking into doing a retrofit kit on it right away as it has the projectors so should be an easy task.

Now with the parts you mentioned do the DRL's still operate? I don't want to disable them, I still want them to operate normally with the HID bulbs as they did with the halogen bulbs.

I'm not interested in buying junk, I would have gladly paid the $600 for the option to have them from the factory so want a kit that will last and not give problems, so I want to do it right with good parts straight off.

I'm looking at the 35w 4300k kit with the canbus ballast, warning canceller option, along with PNP DRL harness, will this get me what I want and need?

Thanks in advance.

That will be exactly what you need. Mine is a unique vehicle as it was a California titled vehicle where DRLs are required by law. It required all of those items to get everything to work properly without blowing fuses, etc.

Prinzll, did your edge have Halogen DRL's or no DRL at all? Curious why you needed to DRL module for the HID's?

My Edge had halogen DRLs. As previously mentioned, the Edge was a California car where the law requires DRLs. I tried connecting everything w/o the modules and wound up blowing at several 10A fuses for the headlights.

• 1 month later...

Canadian DRLs

Easiest solution to installing HIDs when the headlights are programmed as DRLs is the following.

Go to any mechanic or dealer. Tell them to switch over your DRLs to the parking lights. It is simply done with a scan tool takes 2 min.

Now your HIDs will not cause any issues.

FYI...the program does not allow for turning off the DRLs permanently. Two choices headlights or parking lights. I did it and all is well except trying to locate 9012 bulbs.

Canadian DRLs

Easiest solution to installing HIDs when the headlights are programmed as DRLs is the following.

Go to any mechanic or dealer. Tell them to switch over your DRLs to the parking lights. It is simply done with a scan tool takes 2 min.

Now your HIDs will not cause any issues.

FYI...the program does not allow for turning off the DRLs permanently. Two choices headlights or parking lights. I did it and all is well except trying to locate 9012 bulbs.

Hey Calibre,

Where did you get it done? was it a dealer/mechanic in the greater Toronto area? Because i tried 2 dealerships and one of them refused to do it, while the other offer to hard wire it. Does a regular scan tool work? My bad for all the questions, ive been to multiple dealers and mechanics and all of them had a negative answer.

I'll have an answer about this shortly when I speak to the mechanic that did my Edge.

I watched him plug in his laptop into the PCM under my dash and he scrolled thru all the functions of the vehicle, then found DRLs and switched them to parking lights.

That's what Ford does when you order factory hids the DRLs are moved to parking lights. My friend engineer at Ford said the Edge is the same vehicle built in Oakvile shipped everywhere and all they do is program (Miles or Km ) (DRLs or not) HIDs or not. The vehicle is not built differently, they simply program differently.

I will ask my mechanic why the dealers can't or won't do it. I'll post the details soon.

Sometimes I think people on this forum know more about the Edge than the dealers do. I stopped in at my dealer to inquire about reprogramming the DRL's. The first service person didn't even know that some edges have the amber lights as DRL's. The second of course said that kind of programming has to be done at factory.

Hi 71Dragtruck, any update on your set-up? Did it work? I have the same problem. I have tried using a capacitor (together with a harness, relay and hid kit) and still didn't work. The relay kept on buzzing and the bulb is still flickering when on drl (I also live in canada). Something about a pulsating current if I'm not mistaken. I had this same set-up on my 2008 edge so i had to turn on the headlights on low everytime i drive and turn it off when I park. That was the only way it'd work for me then. I'm hoping to keep the switch on auto this time with my 2013 edge. Please give us an update if prinzil's set-up works for our canadian vehicles. Thanks.

By the way, our dealership here also doesn't want to meddle with turning off/swithching the drl.

Edited by mtapang77

Anyone else who has headlights as DRL's successfully get HID's installed? My dealer wont even acknowledge they can change the DRL function to the turn signals.

I would think that the relay harness would be a must otherwise the reduced voltage would not let the ballast operate properly but may be enough to fire the relay.

Anyone meter the voltage on the halogen when on DRL? Curious what it is? Someone mentioned pulsating voltage when the lamp is running as DRL. Comments?