Edge Sport...9 / SYNC system...1

YNOT

We've owned our Edge Sport for 3 months now. Technically it's my wifes car, but I drive it on evenings/weekends.

Let me start off by saying the EDGE Sport itself kicks ass! I love it.

A few quality issues here and there, but I'm probably more picky than most. And the things I've found are overall nothing major really. The styling is top notch, the ride quality is superb, road noise is minimal, overall I'd give the car a 9 out of 10.

As for the SYNC system...I can not give it a score low enough. Microsoft proves to me once again why I'm an Apple lover and why their products are inferior to Apple. The second (or third) week we owned the car, we took it on a long road trip. The car itself was great, but halfway through the trip, the SYNC would not work. Voice commands don't even come close to working, tried to type addresses into the navigation and suddenly the keyboard would just start dropping letters and then disappear. Thank God we had our iPhones with us because the navigation on the SYNC got us lost the first two times and then wouldn't even work the rest of the trip.

We've had the car into the dealership 4, maybe 5 times now and still the SYNC system does not work. Ford tries to say it's the phone, but it can't be since both my and my wifes phone worked for the first couple weeks of owning the car. And neither of us upgraded or changed our phones so they can't blame that either. Basically...I wish we would have never gotten the SYNC because now it's a battle with Ford to fix and then my wife gets upset each time we get it back that it still doesn't work.

I've been buying Ford's since 1996 because my brother worked at the Hazelwood, MO assembly plant. The discount is nice, but I've since grown to love Ford's quality. In fact, my bro now works for a different auto manufacturer and he still gets the Ford discount and we continue to keep buying Ford products. But this is the first time we've had a major issue with any Ford and it's really aggravating that they can't get this resolved.

Do I love our Edge Sport?...yes! Do I love the SYNC system?...not a chance in hell! Will I continue to buy Ford products?...I guess it depends on if they get this SYNC issue resolved and if Ford/Microsoft better improve it on future models.

Edited by YNOT

I agree. I like my Edge overall. But the SYNC/MFT system is the worst piece of technology I have ever encountered. I used to do alpha and beta testing for software that was less buggy than this. I have to reboot multiple times each month, which is especially a pain when you're driving and have to pull over and waste time for it to do its thing and then adjust all your settings again. A few months ago I spent 45 minutes in a rest area in Connecticut waiting for it. Awful. Just plain awful. Like you said, I cannot score it low enough.

Mine has been at the dealer for various MFT issues eight times (that I can remember) in the past 13 months that I've had it. Typically each visit is about three days. I used to call Tech Support a lot but their solution was always to reboot or pull the battery cable, so I gave up calling them.

My current outstanding issue that does not get solved with a reboot is with the Sirius voice commands (it doesn't recognize some channels by name). They told me that should be addressed by the end of the year. It's a known issue which 2013s also have (which seems kinda crappy to me that they ship products with known issues, but whatever) so hopefully it comes sooner rather than later.

If you look up any of my past posts on this subject, you note that I am no huge fan of MFT. However I felt I needed to point something out to you.

"...keyboard would just start dropping letters and then disappear" this is because the navigation system is instantly searching its database of possible city or street names and only presenting you the available next letter. This to make it easier to type .... only 5 letters to visually pick thru versus 26 (A-Z) In other words ... its by design.

If you'd like to fume about something, try locating a fire street address. Ex: 43w792 Main St. You can't. The Nav system does not understand this address format. But this is why I have a secondary nav screen stuck to the window next to the driver "A" pillar. After 5 attempts on MFT - my Garmin 2455 had me on my way in <30 seconds ! BAM.

We (it's my wife's car) can't be happier with my Sync system (with the latest release). Phones work well and the voice commands for the navigation climate control are far superior to my cadillac CTS. Overall we love the Edge. Since this is the family vacation hauler I have Travel Link which was a great help on the last trip for finding food and fuel and directions through a National Forest. Again the original release we had (2.8) was buggy but the latest release is much, much better.

Edited by blankster

• 2 months later...

After all the issues we've had with our SYNC system, Ford finally said my wife's iPhone 4 was bad and probably has a virus. Not a good answer as far as we're concerned, but my wife said fine...she was wanting a new iPhone 5 anyway, so they said our SYNC system was 'fixed' but to wait until she got the new iPhone 5 before trying it again in order to not 'corrupt' it.

Well...we both got new iPhone 5's over the weekend and whadda ya know...the friggin SYNC system still does not work!! We paired both phones to the car and still does not work. We used the voice command to try to make 6 different phone calls and every time we'd say a name, it would try calling a totally different name...ones that didn't even 'sound' the same as the ones we asked it to call. It'll work to change the SIRIUS channels, but to use it for phone calls...no go!

So...as soon as we can find time, looks like we'll be taking this piece of shit back to Ford for about the 8th time I think it is now. Such a shame because the EDGE as a vehicle is by far our favorite we've ever owned...but this SYNC system was a complete waste of money.

• 5 months later...