Viper 5704

My Christmas gift to myself:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZHFXKU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATMW9223S6T4N

This is the remote start system I intend on ordering. Has anyone ever used it, or other viper kits, that can offer your testimony on their products? I'm under the impression I need an immobilizer bypass as well, which I intended on getting from sonicelectronix. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43061_Omega-OL-MDB-ALL.html

What should I be aware of when taking this to a local shop to install it? Are there any common problems with this particular system? Anyone else get their kit off amazon? I've seen a couple videos on YouTube that show the windows wired to roll up and down and it'd be neat if I could change the trunk popper on this kit to do that.

**EDIT** 1/24/13: Getting it installed, today. Ended up getting a universal bypass for ~$20 and having sonicelec. program the key. Total cost: $350 with installation. Maybe I'll make a video?

Edited by wannabang

My Christmas gift to myself:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZHFXKU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATMW9223S6T4N

This is the remote start system I intend on ordering. Has anyone ever used it, or other viper kits, that can offer your testimony on their products? I'm under the impression I need an immobilizer bypass as well, which I intended on getting from sonicelectronix. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43061_Omega-OL-MDB-ALL.html

What should I be aware of when taking this to a local shop to install it? Are there any common problems with this particular system? Anyone else get their kit off amazon? I've seen a couple videos on YouTube that show the windows wired to roll up and down and it'd be neat if I could change the trunk popper on this kit to do that.

I can't answer all the question's you asked. But I recently installed a viper alarm system 5301 on my edge. Works greats. As far as the bypass module I purchased this one <<here >> Had a friend cut a key for me. Very cheap and works great. The viper alarm I purchased was refurbished by viper and I purchased it for half the price. As you can see my only intention was to keep cost low but at the same time maintain all the feature's of a viper alarm system.

After the install is finish you just want to make sure that everything is working correctly. The alarm system. The remote start. As far as the window's you can purchase what's known as module's for viper. There's a window module and other module's for specific functions. Of course I believe these are all add on's.

Good luck.

Not sure what you mean by "had a friend cut a key for me". The bypass requires an additional key that doesn't come with it? If I buy a module that is vehicle-specific and set for my viper system, would I still need to get this key?

The bypass module on the sonic website doesn't specify if you will require a key or not. But for that price I would assume no. You can always verify with a simple email. There are two type's of bypass module's one that require a key and one that doesn't require a key. The one that doesn't require a key is more expensive but you not spending money to cut a key or lose a extra key.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have the power liftgate, unfortunately. I want the auto-window thing more, anyway.

Update: Guy assumed it was JUST a remote start, quoted me $300 for the alarm, too. New place quoted ~$200 for both. Getting that done tomorrow morning. Key ran $120 from the dealer. New final cost: ~$520. Damn the guy before me for not leaving his spare key when I bought the car and me not bargaining for it when I bought it. LOL

Got it all done today, and it works great! I'm extremely happy with it.

Total cost: $501. Guy at the local small business I took it to said he'd knock $70 off a $120 bypass they sold in exchange for mine. Theirs didn't require an extra key, so now I have a spare key, and access to remotely unlock my doors. Took them 7 hours. Definitely will prove to be worth it after the snow we just got and the ten minute walk I have to my car on campus. Thanks, Offey's.

I can put a video up if there's enough care for one.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

I got my smart start VSS5000 loving it lol. bottom line it will be cheaper to just get it from best buy and get the bypass module from amazon $60 bestbuy wants $100 for the module Best Buy package includes installation already.

Optional:

$49.99 smart start service fee for a year or 133 for 3 years to each his own.

2011 Edge SEL regular key, no power lift gate it works. Also i can still lock and unlock the doors with my regular key, but the viper alarm system wont arm unless you use the little remote that came in the box so ill just use that for now. its not bulky or i just use my smart phone :)